Do i really need a dedicated graphics card?

Found 27th Apr
first time pc builder here. I will be using my computer to run complex trading, data analysis softwares and in my spare time HD movies. my question is, do I really need to buy a discrete GPU?

my current set up is as follows:
Focus g mini case
Corsair lpx 16gb ddr4 2400mhz
Ab350m mAtx mobo
LG 25inch ultrawide monitor
Ryzen 5 2400g
Evga 600w
corsair x2 120mm fans
Integral p series 120gb ssd
wd red 3tb hdd
Community Updates
AskGraphics Card
16 Comments
what trading / analysis software will you be running?
HD movies? Much better with dedicated graphics - on board graphics tend to be limited in their capacity for complex graphic applications.
Edited by: "mrty" 27th Apr
@niffer1 Bloomberg, IBM SPSS, Eviews, metastock
mrty17 m ago

HD movies? Much better with dedicated graphics - on board graphics tend …HD movies? Much better with dedicated graphics - on board graphics tend to be limited in their capacity for complex graphic applications.

Even with the ryzen 5 2400g having built in rx Vega 11
No.

iGPU from 2400g perform similar to GT1030.

You probably don't need extra case fan. that case already have 2 case fans installed

Motherboard - I would recommend getting something with 4 RAM slot.

RAM - get fast RAM if you can afford.

What model is that EVGA 600W? Your PC don't need 600W PSU, a good 400W will do the job.
Cisco06060613 m ago

No.iGPU from 2400g perform similar to GT1030.You probably don't need extra …No.iGPU from 2400g perform similar to GT1030.You probably don't need extra case fan. that case already have 2 case fans installedMotherboard - I would recommend getting something with 4 RAM slot.RAM - get fast RAM if you can afford.What model is that EVGA 600W? Your PC don't need 600W PSU, a good 400W will do the job.

I bought the ram from Amazon.es and can't return it now as it's been past a month.

Same goes with my motherboard very will not take it back.

The psu is evga 600w w1, 80+
If you're trading then it might be desirable buying a discrete card with multi video outputs depending on how many monitors you want to run. I'd wait until you feel the need for more than the ultrawide though. On board should be fine for everything else.
kester7620 m ago

If you're trading then it might be desirable buying a discrete card with …If you're trading then it might be desirable buying a discrete card with multi video outputs depending on how many monitors you want to run. I'd wait until you feel the need for more than the ultrawide though. On board should be fine for everything else.

Thanks. I've got an older hd dell 23" monitor from my old computer. Just in case. So I'll bare that in mind
Jamaal_siddique37 m ago

The psu is evga 600w w1, 80+

that is a lower end unit from EVGA...
mrty1 h, 52 m ago

HD movies? Much better with dedicated graphics - on board graphics tend …HD movies? Much better with dedicated graphics - on board graphics tend to be limited in their capacity for complex graphic applications.

Only if you're using fancy post-processing software like MadVR.

Normal video playback is done using dedicated circuitry (Quicksync, UVD/VCN) to minimise power use, and not the general purpose GPU. The decoders, as they're called, are the same across the range.

On the minority of PCs with no battery that doesn't matter as much, but that's the default, and if you're watching stuff through a web browser you're often not even given the choice.

Data Analysis, on the other hand, can greatly benefit on the GPU. A GPU is a massively parallel processor to the CPU's strongly sequential processor so it's much faster in certain workloads. 3D graphics being the one they grew from, but they're frequently bought for fields such as machine learning and certain types of modelling.

But it's entirely dependant on the analysis software you're using so you'd need to be asking the manufacturer/community of those tools how much benefit they'd get from a faster GPU.
Cisco0606062 h, 10 m ago

that is a lower end unit from EVGA...

Would you recommend that I return it and find another?
Jamaal_siddique45 m ago

Would you recommend that I return it and find another?

I think someone might have misunderstood your first post. I believe they think you have selected those items to buy rather than that being your current setup.
HD movies will play just fine on any recent iGPU and the integrated graphics on Ryzen are one of the best

should be fine
MIDURIX3 h, 43 m ago

I think someone might have misunderstood your first post. I believe they …I think someone might have misunderstood your first post. I believe they think you have selected those items to buy rather than that being your current setup.

I've still got the psu. It got delivered yesterday from Amazon
Jamaal_siddique27th Apr

I've still got the psu. It got delivered yesterday from Amazon

i would say mid range Pure power 10 400W or Seasonic S12II

I didn't manage to find a review for that 600W unit. But the 430W and 500W review for the same line not looking too good.
hardocp.com/art…w/1

jonnyguru.com/mod…384
Cisco0606061 h, 12 m ago

i would say mid range Pure power 10 400W or Seasonic S12III didn't manage …i would say mid range Pure power 10 400W or Seasonic S12III didn't manage to find a review for that 600W unit. But the 430W and 500W review for the same line not looking too good.https://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/02/19/evga_430w_power_supply_review/1http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=384

the 2nd review is basically saying its fine and good for the price - what's your problem with it?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants