do iPhones always run fastest on their stock iOS release?

Found 28th Sep 2017
So we all know iPhones slow down with each update, but are they at there fastest out of the box? And gradually start slowing down over time?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
17 Comments

yeah that is probably the case.
I also have a theory that manufacturers deliberately make changes in the os to slow it down. With each release they say OS should work 10-20% faster on less ram etc (whatever the claim is)... yet old devices usually find a decrease in performance, question is how and why? Also, why would a manufacturer make their old device work for longer without a need to upgrade? there is no profit in making old stuff work on par with new device....

Just as a comparison....
the Shelby Electric light bulb from 1901 still works... try to say that about current bulbs
centennialbulb.org/pho…htm

I’m cleaning cache every 2-3 months and they go back to normal speed. (Press home+power button together until phone switch off)

Compared to my Android phone, iOS is much better at retaining speed.

I would avoid updating at all after 2.5 years, especially if you have a tablet, I'm sure they have kill software built in for anything around 3 years old.

100% deliberate act, Yes sure it's not just Apple.

People complain about Apple specifically, but I've encountered this issue on practically every upgradable computer I've had to some extent.

You should have seen how bad my moto G 4G was after going from 4.4. to 5.0, couldn't listen to music and browse the web without my music player turning off and my mum's old laptop required a RAM upgrade thanks to XP SP2 and it was borderline useless by SP3.

Reasons for this can include:
1) Increased demand by the software (e.g. new features, security updates, etc.), especially if newer devices have increased spec e.g. more RAM.
2) (possibly) decreased optimisation e.g. 'drivers'

As others have said. I think my Samsung phones slow down with new software releases. I don't think the manufacturer is doing this on pupose, although I may be too naive, but that the hardware lags behind technology with new software.

This is why I get a new phone every two years.

I blame lazy software coders not having to optimise their code as they are relying on greater power to plough through it.

Bigspin1 h, 46 m ago

I’m cleaning cache every 2-3 months and they go back to normal speed. ( …I’m cleaning cache every 2-3 months and they go back to normal speed. (Press home+power button together until phone switch off)Compared to my Android phone, iOS is much better at retaining speed.

I think it depends on the phone - my Android phone hasn't slowed down in two years, I get the occasional crash but it's still quick.

Original Poster

mutley11 h, 13 m ago

As others have said. I think my Samsung phones slow down with new software …As others have said. I think my Samsung phones slow down with new software releases. I don't think the manufacturer is doing this on pupose, although I may be too naive, but that the hardware lags behind technology with new software.This is why I get a new phone every two years.

Thanks for your post. Missus uses a galaxy s6 and after last update i turned her phone off... turned it back on holding power. home and volume up all at same time. Keep holding till u see android man and let go. Then you'll see some options click on CLEAR CACHE PARTITION (NO NEED TO BACK UP) and then next screen click reboot now. And presto your galaxy is back to super speedy..

Bigspin5 h, 6 m ago

I’m cleaning cache every 2-3 months and they go back to normal speed. ( …I’m cleaning cache every 2-3 months and they go back to normal speed. (Press home+power button together until phone switch off)Compared to my Android phone, iOS is much better at retaining speed.

Agreed in fact old android was at very slow speed after 3 years but apple is still going at almost the same speed. Mind I have not yet upgraded to iOS 11.

Original Poster

sydney8711 h, 23 m ago

Agreed in fact old android was at very slow speed after 3 years but apple …Agreed in fact old android was at very slow speed after 3 years but apple is still going at almost the same speed. Mind I have not yet upgraded to iOS 11.

Don't!!!!!! Apple have stopped signing speedy ios10 and no way back now if u do. Check out all file sizes on ipsw.me and you'll see each update takes around a gig of memory too
Edited by: "machomansavage" 28th Sep 2017

machomansavage1 h, 59 m ago

Don't!!!!!! Apple have stopped signing speedy ios10 and no way back now if …Don't!!!!!! Apple have stopped signing speedy ios10 and no way back now if u do. Check out all file sizes on ipsw.me and you'll see each update takes around a gig of memory too

And iOS 11 drains battery more. I have a 7, and the battery is draining quicker than it used to. I’m still confused as to why Apple still haven’t added GIF playback in images when they have Live Photo’s.

Original Poster

Dolphinzz4 m ago

And iOS 11 drains battery more. I have a 7, and the battery is draining …And iOS 11 drains battery more. I have a 7, and the battery is draining quicker than it used to. I’m still confused as to why Apple still haven’t added GIF playback in images when they have Live Photo’s.

Not broke? Don't fix it is what I always say to updating iOS. It's starting to look a lot more cluttered from what I've seen of my friends using iOS 10&11 especially messages with that heart symbol on side of typing bar. What's all that about? I'm rocking stock iOS 9 that come out of the box on my SE

machomansavage1 m ago

Not broke? Don't fix it is what I always say to updating iOS. It's …Not broke? Don't fix it is what I always say to updating iOS. It's starting to look a lot more cluttered from what I've seen of my friends using iOS 10&11 especially messages with that heart symbol on side of typing bar. What's all that about? I'm rocking stock iOS 9 that come out of the box on my SE

Ah unfortunately I’m a bit of a tech-lover so any time any new software comes out for one of my devices, I upgrade. Always turns out to be a bad idea but I never learn

Original Poster

Dolphinzz2 m ago

Ah unfortunately I’m a bit of a tech-lover so any time any new software c …Ah unfortunately I’m a bit of a tech-lover so any time any new software comes out for one of my devices, I upgrade. Always turns out to be a bad idea but I never learn

Hehe we've all been there I recently sold a 4s on iOS 6.1.3 bloody gorgeous it was. Glossy skuemorpic software. Last of Steve jobs legacy. Had £110 for it so happy hehe

My reason for not upgrading is that it requires over a gig just to download and install and I do not have that sort of memory as I only have 16gb . Why can't they have an expandable memory slot like the androids? I suppose they won't make money by selling phones at higher prices or iCloud.....

Original Poster

sydney87128th Sep

My reason for not upgrading is that it requires over a gig just to …My reason for not upgrading is that it requires over a gig just to download and install and I do not have that sort of memory as I only have 16gb . Why can't they have an expandable memory slot like the androids? I suppose they won't make money by selling phones at higher prices or iCloud.....

I know on this day and age I don't think that 16GB should be an option tbh.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions