Do iPhones coming direct from o2 come unlocked?

Found 14th Nov 2017Edited by:"christopherguy25"
I placed an order for an upgrade on the o2 phone network. I have an iPhone 6 and I was going to order an iPhone 8 from their website. It was my understanding that phones sold come unlocked and are only locked to the network of the first SIM card inserted into the phone. O2 are telling me however that phones sold directly from o2 are locked to the o2 network when dispatched. My previous iPhone was locked to o2 however I used the Three sim in it straight away therefore locking it to Three instead. The difference is that phone was sold from a third party reseller. So question is does phones sold direct from o2 come locked to o2? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
Yes they are. The last iPhone I had was locked to o2. You can unlock it using the My o2 app.
Original Poster
pricesavvy2 m ago

Yes they are. The last iPhone I had was locked to o2. You can unlock it …Yes they are. The last iPhone I had was locked to o2. You can unlock it using the My o2 app.

how can i do that, phone is still in its box, was going to give as a gift. Do I need to wait until contract ends
They are locked. You can unlock your phone free through MyO2 app. However O2 won’t unlock new iPhone for 3 months after their initial release.
It also, I believe, has to be used with the sim supplied with it so it's registered on the O2 system so they can get the unlock processed.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions