Groups

do laptop warrenties cover blue screen of death?

cannot find the box from my laptop and just wondered if the manufactor warrenty covers the blue screen of death?

Laptop is about 7 months old and would it be a case of taking back to the shop or going through toshiba?

Thanks

13 Comments

That would depend on whether you're warranty covered software faults or not. It could still be a hardware fault which your warranty will probably cover, but its more likely its a software fault which a format reinstall would fix.

Original Poster

Bora Horza;5915663

That would depend on whether you're warranty covered software faults or … That would depend on whether you're warranty covered software faults or not. It could still be a hardware fault which your warranty will probably cover, but its more likely its a software fault which a format reinstall would fix.

Cheers
    Are the majority of bsod errors down to software problems?

Probably not! Try taking the Ram out and putting them in individually to elimate the Ram as the problem.

Does it not have some kind of self diagnostics?

Many BSODs are down to hard disk errors.

Original Poster

am not great with computers...lol
    Would it be worth taking it to a shop for them to look at it

Banned

You do realise computers do BSOD just randomly sometimes.

As for saying most are down to hard disk errors is just well... (polite mode) not right.

Is it a one off?

Banned

If you can get into windows, go control panel, system, advanced, startup and recovery. then untick "automatically restart"

then wait for it to crash... tell me what the first bit of the page says when it errors

Original Poster

happened about 3 times and had a few error messages as well saying windows host has stopped working and windows explorer has stopped working.

Laptop is at my brothers so going to hopefully pick up tomorrow as working late

Banned

NFS;5915824

happened about 3 times and had a few error messages as well saying … happened about 3 times and had a few error messages as well saying windows host has stopped working and windows explorer has stopped working.Laptop is at my brothers so going to hopefully pick up tomorrow as working late

did you uninstall norton?

ifn ot do it, its crap.

If you knew what you were doing, I'd say wipe it.

Every laptop I've bought, I've immediately wiped it and installed a nice clean copy of windows. So much **** gets put on them, and most of the time its unnecessary and crash-happy.

Do what I suggested if you like regarding unticking auto restart, then tell me what is says

vibeone;5915775

You do realise computers do BSOD just randomly sometimes.As for saying … You do realise computers do BSOD just randomly sometimes.As for saying most are down to hard disk errors is just well... (polite mode) not right.Is it a one off?

I said many - not most!
    ;-)

Banned

KrispiiDuck;5916274

I said many - not most!;-)

fair play, but I wouldn't even highlight it like that personally. Many does make more sense though! :P

Majority of BSOD's I see are memory related, driver related, temperature related. Sometimes software related but not that often, could also be virus/malware etc. To be honest, if your not to clued up with computers then it is always best to take it back to where you bought it for support.

If you do want to attempt to fix it yourself, start with the event viewer to see exactly what Windows is saying is happening.

Original Poster

Looks like it's a hard drive problem according to toshiba tech support as they talked me through re-installing windows etc which failed and gave a message saying it could not copy to hard drive so Toshiba picked up the laptop yesterday to take back to the factory so hopefully I have a working laptop by the end of next week
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Does the app aznog still work?22
      2. Best Custom ROM for XIaomi Redmi Note 233
      3. Virgin Media TV67
      4. Samsung 4k TVs which one 49/55inch curved? £1.50023

See more discussions