Posted 2 March 2022

Do networks still blacklist phones?

Wondering if this is still a thing since networks aren't allowed to lock their phones to a network anymore? I'm buying a 2nd hand iPhone and I've had issues with people getting them blacklisted before, not sure how I can make sure this doesn't happen.
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    sAmeri02/03/2022 14:19

I know, I was just hoping they changed something about blacklisting too …I know, I was just hoping they changed something about blacklisting too since it's somewhat in the same region

Where you buying this iPhone from? If eBay PayPal have you covered, if its private get the persons ID details, if they won't give them buy from somebody else

tek-monkey02/03/2022 14:22

Is blacklisting is when they stop the IMEI being allowed on any network, …Is blacklisting is when they stop the IMEI being allowed on any network, usually because it was reported stolen?

Yes Sir, its only blocked in the UK though, works in any other country. Back in the day and probably still now, people would say it got nicked, stolen or lost, claim a new phone and send the other one off to another country to be sold (edited)
    Is blacklisting is when they stop the IMEI being allowed on any network, usually because it was reported stolen?
    sAmeri:

That's when it gets iCloud locked, blacklisting is just a network block so you can't use your SIM in the country it was blocked in.

It's Europe wide (regardless of the B word). If it came from outside EU, generally, it's neighbouring countries that share the same blacklist. (edited)
    Locking a phone and blacklisted are two different things. Yeah they still blacklist or everybody would be bumping phones
    Author
    cecilmcroberts02/03/2022 14:54

sAmeri:That's when it gets iCloud locked, blacklisting is just a network …sAmeri:That's when it gets iCloud locked, blacklisting is just a network block so you can't use your SIM in the country it was blocked in.It's Europe wide (regardless of the B word).

Are you sure? Because from what I've read there is no international blacklist database, and phones blacklisted in the UK definitely work in the US and Asian countries.
    Author
    Toon_army02/03/2022 14:15

Locking a phone and blacklisted are two different things. Yeah they still …Locking a phone and blacklisted are two different things. Yeah they still blacklist or everybody would be bumping phones

I know, I was just hoping they changed something about blacklisting too since it's somewhat in the same region
    Toon_army02/03/2022 14:22

Where you buying this iPhone from? If eBay PayPal have you covered, if its …Where you buying this iPhone from? If eBay PayPal have you covered, if its private get the persons ID details, if they won't give them buy from somebody elseYes Sir, its only blocked in the UK though, works in any other country. Back in the day and probably still now, people would say it got nicked, stolen or lost, claim a new phone and send the other one off to another country to be sold

I thought iPhones get blocked world wide?
    Author
    IAmATeaf02/03/2022 14:43

I thought iPhones get blocked world wide?

That's when it gets iCloud locked, blacklisting is just a network block so you can't use your SIM in the country it was blocked in.
    sAmeri:

Are you sure? Because from what I've read there is no international blacklist database, and phones blacklisted in the UK definitely work in the US and Asian countries.

One way to put it into context. A network has to subscribe to the blacklist databases. If said network operates across several countries, they will be subscribed to all those databases. If said device tries to connect to said network, it will check against the databases it has access to check against. In the UK we have O2, Vodafone, EE and Three, all of which operate in the EU in one shape or another, so will have access to the UK database. US and Asia are totally separate and use different network handshakes. Different countries also have different laws, in the UK all network providers must subscribe to the list to be allowed to operate in the country. This is not the case in all countries. (edited)
    cecilmcroberts02/03/2022 15:19

sAmeri:Are you sure? Because from what I've read there is no international …sAmeri:Are you sure? Because from what I've read there is no international blacklist database, and phones blacklisted in the UK definitely work in the US and Asian countries.One way to put it into context. A network has to subscribe to the blacklist databases. If said network operates across several countries, they will be subscribed to all those databases. If said device tries to connect to said network, it will check against the databases it has access to check against. In the UK we have O2, Vodafone, EE and Three, all of which operate in the EU in one shape or another, so will have access to the UK database. US and Asia are totally separate and use different network handshakes. Different countries also have different laws, in the UK all network providers must subscribe to the list to be allowed to operate in the country. This is not the case in all countries.

Blocked UK mobiles work in Spain.
    .MUFC.:

Blocked UK mobiles work in Spain.

Not on all providors. Spain has providers that are not present in the UK; hence, doesn't bother to subscribe to the UK list and no legal requirement to do so.
    if it’s from eBay, then don’t buy of someone with like 10 feedback, if they’re 100+ you’re probably safe
    On another note... (Sorry for hijacking op) how do you go about getting a phone blocked which was unlocked and not had a SIM in it yet? Google says report to network provider... But .. no network assigned?
's avatar