Groups
    EXPIRED

DO NOT BUY ACER LAPTOP!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought an Acer Extensa 4220 Laptop in November, i was so pleased with it i put it on hotukdeals:

hotukdeals.com/ite…l-/

The warranty is taking the ****!!! The screen messed up so i went it using the warranty. They recieved it damaged, after initially saying that it was DHL's fault they have billed me £108.86! They accused me of damaging it and sending it out to them to have it fixed over the warranty! I DID NOT DO SUCH A THING!!!!

Here is the video of the laptop with the damaged screen the DAY BEFORE COLLECTION (i did this because the damage is not always there, and if they don't find any damage they charge you for recieving it!):

youtube.com/wat…adI

Cheating, dirty little conmen, that's all i'm going to say. DO NOT TOUCH ACER WITH A BARGEPOLE. STAY AWAY. Removing all my Acer deals i've put on now and going to add comments on all acer products put on hotukdeals!

* * * DO NOT BUY ACER * * * * *

61 Comments

Moving to Misc as "Feedback" is for HotUKDeals feedback/issues.

Original Poster

Cheers duckmagicuk2 wasn't sure where to put it. Ahhhhhhh so ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned

Its a bit petty to add comments to all future acer deals :whistling:

Original Poster

csiman;1607688

Its a bit petty to add comments to all future acer deals :whistling:

I just don't want anyone to go through the same problems as i have been going through. I've recorded the phone conversation, he accuses me of breaking my laptop and sending it them! I can probabily post it. Might put it on youtube with a still image, can't get myself to listen to it yet, it's painful to pay £108 to repait a £300 laptop!!!

Acer have a reputation of bad customer service in repairs, may be due to the fact it's sub contracted to a different company who make profit from repairs and not bothered about future sales of Acer stuff.

Have to agree with the OP on this one.

I buy all our IT equipment and started buying Acer as I couldnt beat them on price for the spec. Then comes the day when we needed their tech support and they refused to help. Why? Because had installed Windows XP Pro on the machine when it had been shipped with Vista. I couldnt get the sound working so was asking where to get the XP driver, they said they wouldn't help as it was shipped with Vista on. I pointed out the little sticker on the laptop casing that said "Designed for Windows XP" and they hung up on me.

Good price, reasonable quality, shocking after sales support. Avoid at all costs!

Banned

kobirulali;1607744

I just don't want anyone to go through the same problems as i have been … I just don't want anyone to go through the same problems as i have been going through. I've recorded the phone conversation, he accuses me of breaking my laptop and sending it them! I can probabily post it. Might put it on youtube with a still image, can't get myself to listen to it yet, it's painful to pay £108 to repait a £300 laptop!!!Acer have a reputation of bad customer service in repairs, may be due to the fact it's sub contracted to a different company who make profit from repairs and not bothered about future sales of Acer stuff.

We all have bad dealings with one company or another and whilst I understand your disappointment, it doesnt warrant you thread spoling every Acer post.

Why did you buy it in the first place if you were aware of their bad reputation?

I'm using an acer laptop just now, just have to hope nothing goes wrong with it!

Acer is a premier reputable global electronics manufacturer offering splendid service and products though their after sales service could be improved with more staffing. A low % bad experience does not negate what they have to offer to 99.999% of the satisfied customer e.g. the eeePC is a much sought after tiny laptop. If I were you I would direct your wrath to dealing your case with Acer. Additionally DHL will pay out compensation for items damaged in transit. Also try your home contents insurance policy.

Reputable maybe, but he is right about their tech support and customer service.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion

splender;1607808

A low % bad experience does not negate what they have to offer to 99.999% … A low % bad experience does not negate what they have to offer to 99.999% of the satisfied customer e.g. the eeePC is a much sought after tiny laptop.

The eee is manufactured by Asus, rather than Acer.

Banned

I think you have made your point, what the hell is the point in bumping every acer thread, most will have already brought from the threads your bumping, pretty pointless really

I agree with the above posts, there is going to be someone somewhere who has had a bad experience with any company you care to mention.

Also, they probably will get people who make the problem worse to make sure they can get it fixed.

HOWEVER, I am not saying you did this, and think that its wrong of them to assume - the customer is always right and all that. Have you tried calling them back, maybe the person you spoke to was having a bad day, could get a better response with another call.

Dont blame you for being annoyed, I would be too. Hope you get it sorted.

Original Poster

Hey all i've calmed down a little bit, i was furious a bit ago after hanging up the phone. I'm a bit calmer but still angry.

csiman;1607775

We all have bad dealings with one company or another and whilst I … We all have bad dealings with one company or another and whilst I understand your disappointment, it doesnt warrant you thread spoling every Acer post.Why did you buy it in the first place if you were aware of their bad reputation?

Yes, but you have to take the risk every now and again, especially when the product is well priced and from what is now the world's 3rd biggest laptop maker (after dell and HP)

dmccabe;1607816

Reputable maybe, but he is right about their tech support and customer … Reputable maybe, but he is right about their tech support and customer service.Everyone's entitled to their opinion

Apparantly someover over at MSE or was it here was saying support is sub contracted. More repairs = more profit for them, but less customers for Acer?

dmccabe;1607758

Have to agree with the OP on this one.I buy all our IT equipment and … Have to agree with the OP on this one.I buy all our IT equipment and started buying Acer as I couldnt beat them on price for the spec. Then comes the day when we needed their tech support and they refused to help. Why? Because had installed Windows XP Pro on the machine when it had been shipped with Vista. I couldnt get the sound working so was asking where to get the XP driver, they said they wouldn't help as it was shipped with Vista on. I pointed out the little sticker on the laptop casing that said "Designed for Windows XP" and they hung up on me.Good price, reasonable quality, shocking after sales support. Avoid at all costs!

I actually formatted and put XP on as well, and oh yeah yesterday when i rang at 5:25 they hung up and when i rang back it says offices were closed!

CSIman: i've got 2 dell pc's and a laptop, in all about 2 years old. Just 1 problem which was sorted out pretty well and effifiently!

I was on the verge of buying an Acer laptop from play.com, checked the Acer site to clarify which processor it had.
    The site said AMD Athlon TL58, i rang customer service as the AMD site had TL58 as Turion.

Acer guy said AMD were wrong and hung up..........bought a Dell :roll:

Cannot do anything but recommend Acer for their customer services. Went well above and beyond the call of duty for several people I know.

Still, horses for courses I suppose.

we have to Acer laptops in my house, both work fine:|

Did you see the face in the clouds! Wow!! :w00t:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/birdyboyuk/HUKD/cloudface.gif

ive had my laptop nearly a year, have had brilliant customer service, have needed it to be fixed twice,. and they were very swift and prompt. our other laptop needed to be fixed due to little one pulling out buttons and they fixed it too very quick.

Original Poster

birdyboyuk;1611150

Did you see the face in the clouds! Wow!! :w00t:

I had to look at it for a few seconds, but yes you're right!

Anyone got any more ideas about about what to do, i'm hopelessly stuck. Someone said claim it under home insurance, i don't think it's possible but will be looking into it.

Banned

can you not claim off dhl

My girlfriend bought a french Acer laptop from France as shes a french teacher and needed the special characters. 3 months after purchase laptop went dead, rang Acer, sent laptop via DHL to some where down south, got the laptop back within 2 days working perfectly, in the end it was a faulty HDD. Exelent service in my opinion.

Original Poster

sassie;1611466

can you not claim off dhl

I was first told it WAS DHL's fault because the box was recieved damaged, and to expect the laptop back in a few days. (I had to initially phone them, and was told my DHL, Acer have to inquire, that wasted nearly an hour)

I then rang up asking to know where the laptop is, and was told it was being REINVESTIGATED. 2 Days later i get the stupid £108 bill.

Original Poster

Some encouraging news from today, they sent me the pictures of the damage. NOTE: They picked up the laptop on 7th February and the pictures are dated yesterday, 20th February:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2052/pic1gr6.jpg

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/8729/pic2gy4.jpg

A guy called Mark Swabey told me the procedure of when repairs arrive, he said pictures are taken on the day and report on conditions are made. They recieved the Unit 8th February (possibly the 9th). Mark has these original images NOT the 20th Feb images. I've rung up several times for him and was told by his manager (Steve Flynn) who i finally got to speak to today saying he has apparantly and conviniently he's broken his toe and won't be in!

I had a big argument with Steve Flynn about the dates and descripincies etc etc he won't give a good reason for wanting to charge me and says it looks the same as the day it arrived. AT THE END OF THE DAY I WANNA SEE THEM ORIGINAL PICTURES NOT TAKE HIS WORD FOR IT, he says we can't wait, he wants to charge me and send it!!!

Can you make them pictures a bit bigger ..:roll:

I have 3 Acer Laptops, never had a spot of bother with them, also 2 Acer Desktops, again, no problem.

Now if you had have said Dell, well that would be justified IMO.

Original Poster

I've accepted to recieve it damaged as above but the screen to be fixed under warranty, otherwise they are going to charge me for them having it so long!!! (*******!!!)

I've not given up, waiting for Mark Swabey to come back to work, anyone with any knowledge of law know where i stand?

Original Poster

Inactive;1614385

Can you make them pictures a bit bigger ..:roll:I have 3 Acer Laptops, … Can you make them pictures a bit bigger ..:roll:I have 3 Acer Laptops, never had a spot of bother with them, also 2 Acer Desktops, again, no problem.Now if you had have said Dell, well that would be justified IMO.

Sorted it now, sorry i know they were far too big

Original Poster

Anyone know who to add beeps in audio files? I wat to publish them but obviously there's spme sensitive information on them.

kobirulali;1614444

I've accepted to recieve it damaged as above but the screen to be fixed … I've accepted to recieve it damaged as above but the screen to be fixed under warranty, otherwise they are going to charge me for them having it so long!!! (*******!!!)I've not given up, waiting for Mark Swabey to come back to work, anyone with any knowledge of law know where i stand?

If it was signed delivery at their end and it has been damaged in transit then they have to contact DHL in usually 48hrs and they should have signed it damaged if the packaging was that bad.
    If they havent then they are liable as DHL will say it was fine as nobody made a complaint.

You shouldn't be charged anything till they provide the arrival photos but the only problem with the date on photos is that it can be easily altered - you can set the date on a camera to whatever you want., so they are worthless.

Just email them stating that you want the name and address of the Managing Director as you are not happy with the way this is being handled (this will usually do the trick on its own as nobody wants the big boss breathing down their neck), also state that if after contacting the MD the matter isnt resolved to your satisfaction then you will have no other option but to concider legal action.
    oh just a point - its illgeal to tape a conversation with somebody unless you inform them of that beforehand believe it or not

agreed...i am a freelance telecoms/it consultant with 20+ IT experience and Acer are prob the worst IT i have ever dealt with....i would not buy another Acer product
    I bought a desktop about 4 years ago (as a replacement to my previous self built pc) and whilst it came with a dvd writer, it came with dvd writer software that would only write cd's not dvd's (as it turns out due to a flaw in the software)...i asked them to send me the dvd writer software but they treated me like some computer numpty, giving a totally incorrect info - install the driver....i explained to them that I have 20 years IT exp. so stop talking rubbish and sort the problem....they didnt bother...i escalated to their manager, director...they didnt care...
    i had other probs too...the build quality sucks too..... they installed the PC with a hestsink designed for an AMD2600 rather than the AMD3200 in my PC (whilst it is ok to do this as the 3200 runs cooler, to me it just smacks of shoodyness)
    so when it came to buying a laptop, I sent them an email requesting info....got to the stage of almost ordering, then told them to get stuffed.....i explained that i would rather use resort to pens and paper than buy an Acer PC/laptop.
    my next PC, im building myself as the ready built ones are so ****.

splender;1607808

Acer is a premier reputable global electronics manufacturer offering … Acer is a premier reputable global electronics manufacturer offering splendid service and products though their after sales service could be improved with more staffing. A low % bad experience does not negate what they have to offer to 99.999% of the satisfied customer e.g. the eeePC is a much sought after tiny laptop. If I were you I would direct your wrath to dealing your case with Acer. Additionally DHL will pay out compensation for items damaged in transit. Also try your home contents insurance policy.

products are ok, but when they go wrong...tough is the attitude from Acer.

janz70;1626200

If it was signed delivery at their end and it has been damaged in transit … If it was signed delivery at their end and it has been damaged in transit then they have to contact DHL in usually 48hrs and they should have signed it damaged if the packaging was that bad.If they havent then they are liable as DHL will say it was fine as nobody made a complaint.You shouldn't be charged anything till they provide the arrival photos but the only problem with the date on photos is that it can be easily altered - you can set the date on a camera to whatever you want., so they are worthless.Just email them stating that you want the name and address of the Managing Director as you are not happy with the way this is being handled (this will usually do the trick on its own as nobody wants the big boss breathing down their neck), also state that if after contacting the MD the matter isnt resolved to your satisfaction then you will have no other option but to concider legal action. oh just a point - its illgeal to tape a conversation with somebody unless you inform them of that beforehand believe it or not

I would just contact the someone of authority at Acer (regardless of what company Acer have subcontracted their support to)....at the end of the day i would demand in writing that the laptop is repaired ottherwise you will seek compensation via the legal route...just stand your ground
    I would state why are the pictures dated 20/2 with the damage when it was delivered to you on 8/2 (this implies that Acer support team damaged the laptop; unless they can prove otherwise)....check with DHL - was the item signed for at Acer Support with an advisory indicating the packaging was damaged (if not, then Acer support dont have a leg to stand on and demand the damage be fixed or a new laptop should be provided). If you dont get anywhere and you paid by credit card, i would involve your credit card company - (you could request a charge back after you have received your laptop back - so you can backup any personal files - naturally you would need to send the laptop back to Acer once you have been refunded - maybe incl;ude a compliments slip too-lol!!:-D)
    your last point is correct

Original Poster

janz70;1626200

If it was signed delivery at their end and it has been damaged in transit … If it was signed delivery at their end and it has been damaged in transit then they have to contact DHL in usually 48hrs and they should have signed it damaged if the packaging was that bad.If they havent then they are liable as DHL will say it was fine as nobody made a complaint.You shouldn't be charged anything till they provide the arrival photos but the only problem with the date on photos is that it can be easily altered - you can set the date on a camera to whatever you want., so they are worthless.Just email them stating that you want the name and address of the Managing Director as you are not happy with the way this is being handled (this will usually do the trick on its own as nobody wants the big boss breathing down their neck), also state that if after contacting the MD the matter isnt resolved to your satisfaction then you will have no other option but to concider legal action. oh just a point - its illgeal to tape a conversation with somebody unless you inform them of that beforehand believe it or not

Will be ringing DHL up tommorow, last time they wouldn't say much to me as apparantly Acer have to ring them? :thinking: To be honest i don't think the managing director will give a damn, i spoke to the repairs manager and he was the biggest ****** in the world. Wouldn't even keep the case open until it was resolved and wanted to charge me like 40 quid to send it back it i refused to accept it! Sorry for slow delay replying back to you guys (thread went slow a few days ago), you've been really helpful, will be leaving a rep for you guys!

Original Poster

royals;1637836

agreed...i am a freelance telecoms/it consultant with 20+ IT experience … agreed...i am a freelance telecoms/it consultant with 20+ IT experience and Acer are prob the worst IT i have ever dealt with....i would not buy another Acer productI bought a desktop about 4 years ago (as a replacement to my previous self built pc) and whilst it came with a dvd writer, it came with dvd writer software that would only write cd's not dvd's (as it turns out due to a flaw in the software)...i asked them to send me the dvd writer software but they treated me like some computer numpty, giving a totally incorrect info - install the driver....i explained to them that I have 20 years IT exp. so stop talking rubbish and sort the problem....they didnt bother...i escalated to their manager, director...they didnt care...i had other probs too...the build quality sucks too..... they installed the PC with a hestsink designed for an AMD2600 rather than the AMD3200 in my PC (whilst it is ok to do this as the 3200 runs cooler, to me it just smacks of shoodyness)so when it came to buying a laptop, I sent them an email requesting info....got to the stage of almost ordering, then told them to get stuffed.....i explained that i would rather use resort to pens and paper than buy an Acer PC/laptop.my next PC, im building myself as the ready built ones are so ****.

I get more satisfaction from building PC's myself, however i've learnt i'll only do it for myself as a few years ago i built one and it kept restarting due to me using the wrong kind of dd2 ram (didn't know about dual channel ram back then :roll:) and that was a headache. When asked to buy PC's for people i just buy them a dell from here (thanks MikeT and everyone else) and they let me keep the quidco

Acer are useless, if i have to buy a load of PC for my business, not going to Acer.

Original Poster

royals;1637870

I would just contact the someone of authority at Acer (regardless of what … I would just contact the someone of authority at Acer (regardless of what company Acer have subcontracted their support to)....at the end of the day i would demand in writing that the laptop is repaired ottherwise you will seek compensation via the legal route...just stand your groundI would state why are the pictures dated 20/2 with the damage when it was delivered to you on 8/2 (this implies that Acer support team damaged the laptop; unless they can prove otherwise)....check with DHL - was the item signed for at Acer Support with an advisory indicating the packaging was damaged (if not, then Acer support dont have a leg to stand on and demand the damage be fixed or a new laptop should be provided). If you dont get anywhere and you paid by credit card, i would involve your credit card company - (you could request a charge back after you have received your laptop back - so you can backup any personal files - naturally you would need to send the laptop back to Acer once you have been refunded - maybe incl;ude a compliments slip too-lol!!:-D)your last point is correct

Drafted a letter, sending tommorow to repair centre and head office. Gonna get onto DHL as well. Sorry for slow delay replying back to you guys (thread went slow a few days ago), you've been really helpful, will be leaving a rep for you guys!

I had an Acer Travelmate 8006, paid £1400 for it years ago, took out extended warranty (which cost an extra £100)

After a year the laptop started to overheat, caused the whole system to slow down, case started to crack (not due to heat) and the hinges also started showing signs of cracking.

Sent it to Acer repair in my original box thinking i would get it back as i sent it, with all my manuals, got it back 3 weeks later minus box and manuals, unit was working ok but they had replaced the insides with a slower graphics card (64mb instead of 128mb), they hadn't fixed the cracks, rang them to be told that my box and manuals had been disposed off (they told me to send back everything in the first place)

The engineers report said they had replaced the mainboard and hard drive.

Sent the unit back a second time, they had it 4 weeks came back with the right board this time, they had fixed the hinge but the case crack still remained.

Sent it back THIRD time, they had it for another 4 weeks, got it back they had repaired the case crack and replaced the screen? this left me very confused as nothing was wrong with the screen, by doing this they lost one of the screen screw covers so that was missing, the unit was still overheating, only 3 out of the 4 usb ports now worked, and the keyboard shift key didn't work.

I gave up sending it back a fourth time and binned it! on the term that i would never EVER buy another acer branded product, and as they now own Gateway I would never touch them either.

Overall i spent about £40 on phone calls to them because their repair number is 0870, time and effort waiting in for the laptop to be collected, they told me to send back the laptop in the original box with all manuals and they disposed of it, when i told them about this they just laughed!, the engineers sent back sarcastic remarks on the repair sheet like you are just plain stupid saying "the unit is not overheating, just running very warm", yea sure, very warm that you could fry eggs on it.

The unit was worse off than when i first sent it off to them, i sent a letter of complaint to their head office but never received anything back, they don't give a toss, all they are interested in is selling cheap laptops and advertising on a mass scale to get more sales, ****** the after sales.

The City Link chap who kept collecting my notebook said they collect about 40 per day in the manchester area, so it goes to show that they are just plain and utter ****, it lasted 15 months before giving up the go, i still have an old Toshiba laptop that is now over 10 years old and never had a problem, im not saying Toshiba is great just taking for example.

I will now only buy ASUS

Sorry rant over, just wanted to share my thoughts and back up the OP's post

If anyone is interested i might create a site called ]dontbuyacer.co.uk and let users share their thoughts about bad after sales, PM me if anyone thinks this is a good idea?

Original Poster

blackster;1637996

If anyone is interested i might create a site called … If anyone is interested i might create a site called ]www.dontbuyacer.co.uk and let users share their thoughts about bad after sales, PM me if anyone thinks this is a good idea?

Wow, now that is a bad experience. Just glad mines was a cheap 300 quid job. Seriously i can't believe they were that bad to you, i can't begin to give you suggestions as i'm in the process of complaining and i reckon you've gone through all the channels.

The way they speak to you on the phone is the worst part, having been accused of basically sabotage and delibrately braking my laptop really fired me when i was talking to them.

Forgot the cost of ringing the 0870 number, tried saynoto0870 numbers, none of them work!!

If you want to open a website for free check out:
    hotukdeals.com/ite…co/
    I might open up [url]www.acerhell.com[/url] If you want to be a joint webmaster let me know!!!!!!

Original Poster

Rep left for you as well blackster

Original Poster

Quick update: Still waiting for them to return the laptop to me damaged. These jokers are waiting for a second screen apparantly cos the last one they recieved was damaged - sound familiar?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Your favourite member of the Labour shadow cabinet is .....33
      2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553789
      3. Tower Hill Station - Explosion reported.. (Phone charger??)55
      4. Bearded chat1225

See more discussions