Do NOT use Very.co.uk (HARD SEARCH)

Posted 22nd Nov
I was planning to do a purchase with Very.co.uk after I saw the Apple discounts.

I put the product on the trolley and went to register and continue with the purchase.

On the moment I saw the credit account application I decided to not go further, I DIDN'T accept.

Then I saw that they still created an account for me and I couldn't delete it.

Contacted the customer services over chat and also over telephone and no one can find my account.

Now, today they performed a HARD SEARCH on my name which affected my credit score!!!

You read this right, even not applying for credit they performed a HARD SEARCH on me.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Very disappointing.
32 Comments
GDPR complaint maybe?
esar22/11/2019 09:15

GDPR complaint maybe?

Unless any monetry claim through it is it really worth the time given the damage its given?

I would of imagine you could get them in trouble but doubtful if you can seek compensation? maybe

Feel like something like this should be paid out as he could be affected finacially
I had this with Next a few years ago, went to pay for something outright and my internet dropped out and because i never paid for it they set me up a credit account. I called and they couldn’t find an account. Two months later all records and search dropped off my credit report completely. Its like when Amazon secure the money from your bank before posting and it shows you have paid, then you cancel and a few days later the money returns to tour account.

Also, under law and their T&Cs you have a right to withdraw from the agreement for 14days. Send then a letter asking to do so. Whether they can find your account or not is not your problem if you have asked to withdraw from the agreement within the time frame.
Next did this without notice to me also.
Edited by: "ssc1" 22nd Nov
Never had a problem with them....but there’s a few on here what have had real issues..
Very disappointing.
I’m impressed with how bad their IT is. They accept me to login on their website but they don’t have an account number for me. And even in this situation they still performed a Hard Search without my authorization! I wish they were banned from here, together with eGlobal “UK”...
Felipe.Lopes22/11/2019 10:19

I’m impressed with how bad their IT is. They accept me to login on their w …I’m impressed with how bad their IT is. They accept me to login on their website but they don’t have an account number for me. And even in this situation they still performed a Hard Search without my authorization! I wish they were banned from here, together with eGlobal “UK”...

If you have good credit score, a search isn’t going to make any difference....they look at your ability to pay, not on how many searches....
Sorry I'm going to carry on using it.
I've bought a few things from them now some paying in full some on a buy now pay later and no issues at all.
Bargainhead22/11/2019 11:42

If you have good credit score, a search isn’t going to make any d …If you have good credit score, a search isn’t going to make any difference....they look at your ability to pay, not on how many searches....

My credit score is good and mainly because I don’t have many searches on it too. But we shouldn’t accept a company to just do a hard search on us even when we don’t accept the terms or buy anything with them! And this has affected negatively my credit score, which is again unacceptable. I’m just warning people to be far from this company, really horrible IT and practices.
No such thing as a credit score. Its a made up number! All they've probably done is a search, which unless you have god awful credit anyway, will make zip all difference to how lenders view you.
Felipe.Lopes22/11/2019 12:01

My credit score is good and mainly because I don’t have many searches on i …My credit score is good and mainly because I don’t have many searches on it too. But we shouldn’t accept a company to just do a hard search on us even when we don’t accept the terms or buy anything with them! And this has affected negatively my credit score, which is again unacceptable. I’m just warning people to be far from this company, really horrible IT and practices.

Searches don’t stop you getting credit. It goes on how much you owe and affordability....if you have good credit it won’t make any difference... seems your blowing this out of proportion, if you take a step back you realise it is insignificant...
Bargainhead22/11/2019 14:35

Searches don’t stop you getting credit. It goes on how much you owe and a …Searches don’t stop you getting credit. It goes on how much you owe and affordability....if you have good credit it won’t make any difference... seems your blowing this out of proportion, if you take a step back you realise it is insignificant...

I believe you don’t understand what’s the point here. Am I saying it’s the end of world having a hard search??? No! I’m saying that Very will do a HARD SEARCH on you even when you don’t anything or apply for any credit! If you think this is ok and fair, that’s your problem.
Felipe.Lopes22/11/2019 14:41

I believe you don’t understand what’s the point here. Am I saying it’s the …I believe you don’t understand what’s the point here. Am I saying it’s the end of world having a hard search??? No! I’m saying that Very will do a HARD SEARCH on you even when you don’t anything or apply for any credit! If you think this is ok and fair, that’s your problem.

Well you must of gave them your details to be able to do the search in the first place. Maybe be more careful giving your info out....

and you are coming across as if it’s the end of the world....
Bargainhead22/11/2019 14:49

Well you must of gave them your details to be able to do the search in the …Well you must of gave them your details to be able to do the search in the first place. Maybe be more careful giving your info out....and you are coming across as if it’s the end of the world....

Do you know how to read? I was setting up an account and in the moment to accept the terms and conditions I gave up and left the website!!!
Edited by: "Felipe.Lopes" 22nd Nov
Felipe.Lopes22/11/2019 14:50

Do you know how to read? I was setting up and account and in the moment to …Do you know how to read? I was setting up and account and in the moment to accept the terms and conditions I gave up and left the website!!!

So you put your details in, will be user error on your part... I know how to read thank you, careful the worlds not going to end.....
Bargainhead22/11/2019 14:53

So you put your details in, will be user error on your part... I know how …So you put your details in, will be user error on your part... I know how to read thank you, careful the worlds not going to end.....

Hahaha, your head is just for bargains then, as your name suggests... To start the process the first thing you do is to put some of your details. The second part is to read and accept the terms, I didn’t do. I called them this morning and they said I’m right about complaining as the hard search SHOULDN’T have been done. Now you can go to other discussion please as you’re too annoying.
Felipe.Lopes22/11/2019 14:56

Hahaha, your head is just for bargains then, as your name suggests... To …Hahaha, your head is just for bargains then, as your name suggests... To start the process the first thing you do it’s to put some of your details. The second part is to read and accept the terms, I didn’t do. I called them this morning and they said I’m right about complaining as the hard search SHOULDN’T have been done. Now you can go to other discussion please as you’re too annoying.

Seems like you need to get a life...

I’m impressed with how bad their IT is. They accept me to login on their w …I’m impressed with how bad their IT is. They accept me to login on their website but they don’t have an account number for me. And even in this situation they still performed a Hard Search without my authorization! I wish they were banned from here, together with eGlobal “UK”...

hotukdeals.com/dea…263

Whats changed since September?
stubbadub22/11/2019 15:01

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/huawei-p30-lite-6gb128gb-dual-sim-blue-23299-eglobalcentraluk-3297263 Whats changed since September?

I became a customer and saw how bad it is, I’m not ashamed of that.
Best to use cash in hand or cash in bank account. Avoid any credit as credit always costs you 5%-10% in inefficiency.

There is no such thing as bad/good IT, there are only bad/good managers and directors.

IT does what the managers and directors tell it to do.

There is no known text book on IT, that is called bad IT for IT students.
Edited by: "splender" 22nd Nov
splender22/11/2019 15:32

Best to use cash in hand or cash in bank account. Avoid any credit as …Best to use cash in hand or cash in bank account. Avoid any credit as credit always costs you 5%-10% in inefficiency.

I didn’t apply for credit at all.
I thought it was common knowledge that very.co.uk (and the Kay's or Littlewoods catalogues before) were a credit service?
Felipe.Lopes22/11/2019 15:35

Did you click on a page that displayed T&Cs on credit before the credit application web page came up?
Felipe.Lopes22/11/2019 15:35

The market positioning of Very is a credit supplier with high APR for goods.
The reason why that they allow you to buy in cash, not taking up credit, is because the UK laws require goods must also be offered for cash, from my memory in the UK law.
splender22/11/2019 15:39

Did you click on a page that displayed T&Cs on credit before the credit …Did you click on a page that displayed T&Cs on credit before the credit application web page came up?

I didn't click or accept anything! And they confirmed that over the phone. But they still did a HARD SEARCH.

Searches don’t stop you getting credit. It goes on how much you owe and a …Searches don’t stop you getting credit. It goes on how much you owe and affordability....if you have good credit it won’t make any difference... seems your blowing this out of proportion, if you take a step back you realise it is insignificant...

To be fair, this isn't true.

Each company or credit provider that does a search receives the contents of your credit report and each can choose to accept you based on anything within, including searches.

Your statement might be true for the majority of companies, but there could be one that sees a higher amount of searches within a short space of time as a negative thing, ie, customer is desperate for credit. It's definitely possible, albeit very unlikely, that this one search could impact OP's ability to get a specific credit product if the circumstances are right.

Searches don’t stop you getting credit. It goes on how much you owe and a …Searches don’t stop you getting credit. It goes on how much you owe and affordability....if you have good credit it won’t make any difference...

One search in isolation won't make any difference but hard searches definitely DO make a difference to lenders if you have a few in close proximity.

A number of searches in a short period of time suggests you may be desperate to obtain credit making you a higher risk prospect for lenders.
Felipe.Lopes22/11/2019 15:47

I didn't click or accept anything! And they confirmed that over the phone. …I didn't click or accept anything! And they confirmed that over the phone. But they still did a HARD SEARCH.

I found out , just tried it, on the page where you put in an address, in my case a test sample address, at the bottom of this web page, there is a click link to terms and conditions.

Then if you clicked next, which I did, the test account was registered and ready to shop! I thought that there would be another page to confirm application, but there wasn't! (Very is a buy now pay later business, so, on the page for registration, there is a statement, which said, "Credit supplied.. subject to status....", this page is where you enter your address and then you click next to the next page. Next page means you are registered. )

Like you said, maybe it was true that they shouldn't have done a credit check. which they did. Therefore, I am not sure what your point is. Is it, they make mistakes and do things that they shouldn't? If so, every company in UK may do this, some more so than others.
Very are brilliant- I save hundreds of pounds on purchases each year with them
Felipe.Lopes22/11/2019 14:41

I believe you don’t understand what’s the point here. Am I saying it’s the …I believe you don’t understand what’s the point here. Am I saying it’s the end of world having a hard search??? No! I’m saying that Very will do a HARD SEARCH on you even when you don’t anything or apply for any credit! If you think this is ok and fair, that’s your problem.

I get your point here, but equally I don’t think you should get yourself bent out of shape over this. Honestly, people like Martin Lewis do more harm than good. I work in high value lending for a living, I am not concerned with historical hard searches on your file or your credit score per se, neither are my employers. We are concerned with affordability and your ability to repay. As others have alluded to, the Credit Scores presented by Equifax and Experian etc are simply their way of articulating your position in an easy to understand numerical format - in reality it means nothing at all. Said companies however use this information to sell you frankly unnecessary credit score monitoring products. They are businesses with shareholders at the end of the day.
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 23rd Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants