Do people still bother with New Year resolutions??

Found 1st Jan
Diets, going to the gym, quit smoking etc are some, but do people actually stick to them? What can we replace resolutions with??
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
My 2018 resolution is to work on my low self esteem and lack of self confidence, but I don't think I can do it.
Edited by: "barriey" 1st Jan
This time last year I vowed to lose weight and today I am currently sitting at 65 lb lighter - healthy bmi and feeling great. Has had a great impact on my life.
34 Comments
Perhaps replace them with a non-binding commitment to make a positive change to some part of your life.
My 2018 resolution is to work on my low self esteem and lack of self confidence, but I don't think I can do it.
Edited by: "barriey" 1st Jan
I'm going to take up smoking. No vaping, proper Marlboro red tops.
deleted800342
u6645412 m ago

I'm going to take up smoking. No vaping, proper Marlboro red tops.

You can do it!
Vaping is soooo 2017
barriey4 m ago

My 2017 resolution is to work on my low self esteem and lack of self …My 2017 resolution is to work on my low self esteem and lack of self confidence, but I don't think I can do it.

If I can do it you can do it too.
Still?
2560 x 1440 + 1920x1080 + 1920x1080, I got a new screen this year I am enjoying the new resolution as it's better than the 1080 I was used to, what's great though is the screens are 32,27&24 inches which really annoys people with OCD
I cant wait to see the new people join the gym and slowly quit
deleted265520
Felicitous30 m ago

2560 x 1440 + 1920x1080 + 1920x1080, I got a new screen this year I am …2560 x 1440 + 1920x1080 + 1920x1080, I got a new screen this year I am enjoying the new resolution as it's better than the 1080 I was used to, what's great though is the screens are 32,27&24 inches which really annoys people with OCD

?
barriey49 m ago

My 2017 resolution is to work on my low self esteem and lack of self …My 2017 resolution is to work on my low self esteem and lack of self confidence, but I don't think I can do it.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not quite sure.

No, wait,... I used to be a werewolf, but I'm alright noooooow.
Felicitous40 m ago

2560 x 1440 + 1920x1080 + 1920x1080, I got a new screen this year I am …2560 x 1440 + 1920x1080 + 1920x1080, I got a new screen this year I am enjoying the new resolution as it's better than the 1080 I was used to, what's great though is the screens are 32,27&24 inches which really annoys people with OCD

What the hell have fish owners got to do with anything?
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 1st Jan
Dyslexic_Dog12 m ago

What the hell have fish owners got to do with anything?

Took me a second to work that one out.Very good.
Bure1141 m ago

I cant wait to see the new people join the gym and slowly quit

32965289-fIbfJ.jpg
32965326-mCJ1T.jpg
Swimming pool will be full of idiots next week when I go. Gets me annoyed. Bring on February when they have given up for another year and I can swim again without the walkers and doggy paddlers
32965405-H5BrE.jpg
Hopefully some people might try to give up Self entitlement this year.
Felicitous1st Jan

That one's getting a bit stale now
DT891st Jan

?

Resolution
Biddy259 m ago

Took me a second to work that one out.Very good.

Look here, i'm the dyslexic one around here!

Edit, I'm also agnostic and suffer from insomnia, I lay awake in bed for hours of a night time wondering if there really is a dog?
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 1st Jan
splatsplatsplat1 h, 16 m ago

Hopefully some people might try to give up Self entitlement this year.

I wonder - Do they actually realise they suffer from self entitlement ?
Just another day really. Second year i painted something
No
This time last year I vowed to lose weight and today I am currently sitting at 65 lb lighter - healthy bmi and feeling great. Has had a great impact on my life.
Mine was not to make one
DT891st Jan

?

Screen resolutions :P it's a joke
Uilleam179 h, 45 m ago

I have CDO, it's a bit like OCD except it's in alphabetical order

Nice!
For me Resolutions don't work, but SMART goals do, so its pretty much the usual earn more than last year and travel somewhere new for me, and in order to do that first things on the list is get certified in a couple of things so I can add 10-15k to my earning power.
I made one many many years ago to never make any again and I've stuck to it :).
I'm going to make a conscious effort to reduce the amount of plastics we use at home. Haven't used plastic bags for many years, always use hessian bags now but alternatives for other things really take some finding. Now the Chinese are reducing the amount that they recycle for the UK we will all be drowning in the stuff before long if we don't all change the amount we use in the future.
bossyboots23 h, 46 m ago

This time last year I vowed to lose weight and today I am currently …This time last year I vowed to lose weight and today I am currently sitting at 65 lb lighter - healthy bmi and feeling great. Has had a great impact on my life.

Well done for keeping the weight off
DKLS10 h, 9 m ago

For me Resolutions don't work, but SMART goals do, so its pretty much the …For me Resolutions don't work, but SMART goals do, so its pretty much the usual earn more than last year and travel somewhere new for me, and in order to do that first things on the list is get certified in a couple of things so I can add 10-15k to my earning power.

Don't believe it, I got certified once and it certainly didn't help my income!
deleted1416210
jaketheplumber1 h, 59 m ago

I'm going to make a conscious effort to reduce the amount of plastics we …I'm going to make a conscious effort to reduce the amount of plastics we use at home. Haven't used plastic bags for many years, always use hessian bags now but alternatives for other things really take some finding. Now the Chinese are reducing the amount that they recycle for the UK we will all be drowning in the stuff before long if we don't all change the amount we use in the future.

Great stuff to hear
We began a zero waste journey last year, and after a while we got our wheely bin down from full; to a bit more than 1 bin bag every 2 weeks.....
We've since made loads of changes, and we now think much more carefully about everything we buy......
I think the hardest thing we found to reduce was food packaging, it takes a real effort to avoid plastic food wrappers, but we've made massive improvements and now our local supermarket is used to us turning up at the till to pay with our own little produce bags and lots of loose veggies
The plastic free market is really growing and you can now get loads of plastic free products; especially online.
There is also a big online community out there that can be really supportive (YouTube/Facebook etc).
Edited by: "deleted1416210" 2nd Jan
deleted1416210
I think the thing with resolutions or goals in general is not to beat yourself up if you slip/break, just recognize where you went wrong, see if there was a reason or trigger etc and then use that information as you move foward.
A lot of the things we often want to give up are strongly linked to habit and patterns of behaviour, and once you identify those it can be easier to recognise occasions where you might need to ramp up the willpower, or distract the mind.
If it's worth doing, it's worth persisting with
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants