Groups

Do petrol stations have to be dug up regularly?

Our local petrol station is being dug up and refurbished, and a temporary one has been installed for the meantime. A friend told me that it's being dug up because the underground fuel reservoirs have to be replaced every 10 years.

Now, I can think of local petrol stations that have been there for much much longer and never had to be dug up. Is my friend talking out of her filling cap?

3 Comments

Banned

yes to her talking out of her fuel cap.... but they do need to be cleaned once in a while.

Some new regs came in this year not sure what they covered

edit:
    Can't find a UK version yet but here's a story on the US take on it

findarticles.com/p/a…57/

edit2:
    Nope that one was wrong, it's to do with Stage II Vapour recovery regs, half way down page 3

defra.gov.uk/env…pdf

Original Poster

One hell of a well researched reply, my friend! Either way, looks like it doesn't warranty a wholesale ripping out of the petrol station. It's probably just Sainsbury's giving us a flashier filling station...

SirBargainsALot;8539709

One hell of a well researched reply, my friend! Either way, looks like … One hell of a well researched reply, my friend! Either way, looks like it doesn't warranty a wholesale ripping out of the petrol station. It's probably just Sainsbury's giving us a flashier filling station...

Sainsbury have just done the same where i live. they didnt seem to change the store. it was just the tanks they seemed to alter.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?2024
      2. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…1932
      3. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941347
      4. love affairs1756

See more discussions