Expired

Do private parking tickets have to be paid?

Found 5th Dec 2013
My son managed to get 3 parking tickets from private parking companies. The first was from Euro Car Parks and the general advice on the internet was to ignore it! We did that and after 5 letters never heard anything else. That was about 2 years ago.

Now, he got 2 tickets in the summer, one at a supermarket when he parked for too long and one when he visited someone and parked overnight in residents parking. One company is Athena and the other is TNC.

The letters are threatening court action - I looked for info on the web but the advice is conflicting. Does anyone have experience of these companies and what actually happens if we ignore? (For info, we are in Scotland, as I believe this can make a difference.)

Any advice would be appreciated!

(One of the companies mentioned Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012....I looked it up and it looks as if it's a government act which supports these companies in taking action for payment.)
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
In my experience, private parking companies they usually send around 6 or 7 letters then you'll here no more, the best site for advice I've found is; forums.pepipoo.com/ind…php?

It's FightBack forums, hope this helps
not worth paper they are written on, have to prove you were in contract with them, just ignore they might threaten by nothing will happen ;-)
Ditto
hi you do not need to pay in scotland as only council can issue with parking tickets, i park my car which is owned by a private car park company and park there every day i receive 3 letters threatning with legal action etc but they cannot do anything in scotland and they just stop sending after the third letter, i still park there everyday so keep getting letters every day and have done since last 2 years so just ignore them
don't respond at all.
My brother in law worked for a private parking company and thousands of unpaid fines were always outstanding. He also thought, like many, nothing would ever come of it. He is now a bailiff and everday has at least one rit that includes unpaid parking fines, some from a few years ago. My advice is to get solid advice before you choose to ignore. Im still not sure either way but there is definate loopholes with private fines.
any response could be used as admission of guilt .
Ignore everything
joakarsu

My brother in law worked for a private parking company and thousands of … My brother in law worked for a private parking company and thousands of unpaid fines were always outstanding. He also thought, like many, nothing would ever come of it. He is now a bailiff and everday has at least one rit that includes unpaid parking fines, some from a few years ago. My advice is to get solid advice before you choose to ignore. Im still not sure either way but there is definate loopholes with private fines.

If they are actual fines, is this from local authorities? I know that the tickets here issued by the local council have to be paid, but the ones I was querying were private companies. I don't think that the new act applies here in Scotland either (I hope!).
gogs273

hi you do not need to pay in scotland as only council can issue with … hi you do not need to pay in scotland as only council can issue with parking tickets, i park my car which is owned by a private car park company and park there every day i receive 3 letters threatning with legal action etc but they cannot do anything in scotland and they just stop sending after the third letter, i still park there everyday so keep getting letters every day and have done since last 2 years so just ignore them

Thanks for that - I feel a bit better about ignoring it all now. It was me who told my son to ignore the first one so I didn't want to give wrong advice this time.

Nothing to do with the tickets I was asking about but a friend left my OH's van on what appeared to be unused ground and found it had been clamped when he went back. He returned later and sawed through the clamp and rescued the van...surprisingly, we never heard anything about it!
Thanks for the advice HUKD'ers! We have ignored the tickets so far so will continue doing so....I shall update you if they don't give up!
but a friend left my OH's van on what appeared to be unused ground and found it had been clamped when he went back. He returned later and sawed through the clamp and rescued the van...surprisingly, we never heard anything about it!

clamping in scotlands ilegal unless it by the police using statutory powers.
The law was recently changed in order to regulate the private parking industry, the end result being that the PCNs issued by companies with the new trade organisation setup are legally enforceable providing the enforcement notices comply with the regulations ( which all of the companies within this organisation do )
wolf359

The law was recently changed in order to regulate the private parking … The law was recently changed in order to regulate the private parking industry, the end result being that the PCNs issued by companies with the new trade organisation setup are legally enforceable providing the enforcement notices comply with the regulations ( which all of the companies within this organisation do )

Only in England and Wales. POFA 2012 doesn't apply in Scotland and therefore, keeper liability doesn't exist
BeerDrinker

Only in England and Wales. POFA 2012 doesn't apply in Scotland and … Only in England and Wales. POFA 2012 doesn't apply in Scotland and therefore, keeper liability doesn't exist

Yes, that's what I thought after reading about it, thanks for clarifying that. Thank goodness we live in Scotland! I feel sorry for the people who live in England and Wales as I certainly hadn't heard of the new act and I'm sure a lot of others won't, either.

I found this
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4312425
which is pretty helpful, especially post #9.
joakarsu

My brother in law worked for a private parking company and thousands of … My brother in law worked for a private parking company and thousands of unpaid fines were always outstanding. He also thought, like many, nothing would ever come of it. He is now a bailiff and everday has at least one rit that includes unpaid parking fines, some from a few years ago. My advice is to get solid advice before you choose to ignore. Im still not sure either way but there is definate loopholes with private fines.

A bailif company couldn't get a 'rit' raised.
gogs273

hi you do not need to pay in scotland as only council can issue with … hi you do not need to pay in scotland as only council can issue with parking tickets, i park my car which is owned by a private car park company and park there every day i receive 3 letters threatning with legal action etc but they cannot do anything in scotland and they just stop sending after the third letter, i still park there everyday so keep getting letters every day and have done since last 2 years so just ignore them

You sound lovely
tell your son to park in a proper place would be the answer
adamsxi

tell your son to park in a proper place would be the answer

In the perfect world.............as a young driver he will make mistakes, haven't you? The first ticket was when he was at college and his class overran and he was over the time allowed in the adjacent car park. The second was when he used a supermarket which allowed 2 hours parking; he then met a friend who had a spare ticket for a nearby football match so went to watch the match and didn't realise about the time limit. The last was when he visited a friend who has resident's parking outside his home. My son didn't arrive until late evening and went to his car at 7am to find that the car had been ticketed before 6am on a Sunday morning! Not exactly going to feature on Crimewatch, is he? oO

Lou Scotland

In the perfect world.............as a young driver he will make mistakes, … In the perfect world.............as a young driver he will make mistakes, haven't you? The first ticket was when he was at college and his class overran and he was over the time allowed in the adjacent car park. The second was when he used a supermarket which allowed 2 hours parking; he then met a friend who had a spare ticket for a nearby football match so went to watch the match and didn't realise about the time limit. The last was when he visited a friend who has resident's parking outside his home. My son didn't arrive until late evening and went to his car at 7am to find that the car had been ticketed before 6am on a Sunday morning! Not exactly going to feature on Crimewatch, is he? oO

yea he ran someone over and drove off, hes a young driver, everyone makes mistakes
You're right i think if you are under 25 and do something wrong, instead of paying the consequences (paying the ticket) you should just be let off, multiple times

On a serious note
you are 100% right the way its the traffic wardens fault for working at night for that last one. I thought everyone knew the laws dont count before 10 on a sunday, who the hell do they think they are making you son take responsibility for his actions at such an ungodly hour
Lou Scotland

In the perfect world.............as a young driver he will make mistakes, … In the perfect world.............as a young driver he will make mistakes, haven't you? The first ticket was when he was at college and his class overran and he was over the time allowed in the adjacent car park. The second was when he used a supermarket which allowed 2 hours parking; he then met a friend who had a spare ticket for a nearby football match so went to watch the match and didn't realise about the time limit. The last was when he visited a friend who has resident's parking outside his home. My son didn't arrive until late evening and went to his car at 7am to find that the car had been ticketed before 6am on a Sunday morning! Not exactly going to feature on Crimewatch, is he? oO

No but there are signs there everybody else has to abide by them. Once is a mistake 3 times is a chancer!
I got my fifth letter through today from debt recovery plus now offering payment plans and a new date for me to pay my fine. Aww lovely bunch.
youve posted in an old thread

the law and advice has changed now and ignoring them is not the preferred or recommended option any more

check here forums.pepipoo.com/ind…=60
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants