Do ps4s take days to load a new game?

Found 25th Nov 2017
I've bought my hubby a ps4 for Christmas because his beloved ps3 is on its last legs. I've just been speaking to a friend who has said when you put a new game in the ps4 for the first time, it will take days to upload it into the system. Is this true I thought you just put the disk in and away you go? My knowledge of computers is absolutely nothing. I don't understand the whole upload process I don't see the point of buying the disk if you can download the game quicker. Am I missing something here? Any info would be really appreciated. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
They take a while, up to an hour or so. Maybe with an update as well but nowhere near days. They're talking rubbish I'm afraid
Only takes days if your still on dial up internet!
Your friend might be a XBox fan.
PS4 games take no more than a few mins before you can play unless there is a massive update for it. Even then you can play whilst it updates (unless you want play online straight away)
barriey4 h, 10 m ago

Only takes days if your still on dial up internet!

Internet speed doesn’t affect installing a game from a disk
howarth32 h, 32 m ago

Internet speed doesn’t affect installing a game from a disk

It does if like many games there is a day one patch to be downloaded......
Your friend is likely using wifi to download his game, connect your PS4 to Ethernet cable to modem and as long as you have decent internet it's not too bad.

Although games still come on disc, it doesn't really mean anything, it's more of a 'pass' to access everything which is mostly online.
I did think maybe it was bs but because I don't know anything about gaming I just went along with it. I knew someone on here would know thanks guys!! I still don't understand why you have to download or upload it but it doesn't matter as long as I know my hubby won't still be waiting for his game to load in on new years eve
kerry83196 m ago

I did think maybe it was bs but because I don't know anything about gaming …I did think maybe it was bs but because I don't know anything about gaming I just went along with it. I knew someone on here would know thanks guys!! I still don't understand why you have to download or upload it but it doesn't matter as long as I know my hubby won't still be waiting for his game to load in on new years eve

Your friend has told you a lie about the times. Unsure why they would say days, either they know nothing about the console and just heard someone make a comment and believed it was true.

Games will install to the console and there could be a patch (this will fix things, add new features etc), which would allow you to play online.
Out dated users (on an older patch ) cannot reach the servers. But can play a game offline while it downloads the needed files in the back ground.

Uploading is to send information from your system to the servers. This could be saved files to back up with PlayStation plus, streaming video game play clips etc.

Worst case scenario, he'll be waiting an hour or few to play online (based on the game and your internet speeds).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants