Do pubs get fined if police are called ?

Posted 3rd Feb
I was out last night in my local, fairly busy for a Sunday night due to a babies christening earlier on. A fight broke out between these two lads, punches being thrown, chaos broke out and people was trying to stop the fight. This was going on for a good few mins.

I said to the women behind the bar i think someone should call police she said ‘No don’t we will be fined’

Didn’t get a chance to ask her later on what she meant as i left but just wondering do pubs get some sort of charge or fine if police are called out for trouble?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
They never used to get fined, but any calls to the police would be logged and come licensing time at the magistrates it would be noted and taken into consideration when applying for a license to serve alcohol.
Bare in mind I'm talking about thirty years ago and everything and anything may have changed since then!
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 3rd Feb
10 Comments
She might have ment “fine” ?
They never used to get fined, but any calls to the police would be logged and come licensing time at the magistrates it would be noted and taken into consideration when applying for a license to serve alcohol.
Bare in mind I'm talking about thirty years ago and everything and anything may have changed since then!
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 3rd Feb
No fine for police being called out to attend a disturbance but every time it does happen they need to log it and then would flag up when applying for a drinks licence....even pubs need the help of police at times!
abdul503/02/2020 15:10

She might have ment “fine” ?

Haha no. She deffo ment ‘fine’ !
SteMoss03/02/2020 15:39

Maybe go back and ask her
What she ment ?
SteMoss03/02/2020 15:39

That is worrying that the female staff member wouldn’t call the police due to knowing it would be logged with licensing purposes as pub staff have a duty off call to their customers and their safety but that sounds like it went clearly over her head and more concerned with a log against the pub!!!!!!
Mich8ll803/02/2020 17:14

That is worrying that the female staff member wouldn’t call the police due …That is worrying that the female staff member wouldn’t call the police due to knowing it would be logged with licensing purposes as pub staff have a duty off call to their customers and their safety but that sounds like it went clearly over her head and more concerned with a log against the pub!!!!!!

I feel the same, it was abit strange, i wouldn’t say this pub is ruff though.
SteMoss03/02/2020 17:54

I feel the same, it was abit strange, i wouldn’t say this pub is ruff t …I feel the same, it was abit strange, i wouldn’t say this pub is ruff though.

I think it can cause quite a lot of problems if the pub/ landlord has had to call the police on a number of occasions and so they are normally very reluctant to do so unless they really feel it's necessary.
Dyslexic_Dog03/02/2020 20:54

I think it can cause quite a lot of problems if the pub/ landlord has had …I think it can cause quite a lot of problems if the pub/ landlord has had to call the police on a number of occasions and so they are normally very reluctant to do so unless they really feel it's necessary.

Yes...this is also true but what is confusing me is the excuse she told a paying customer in the public house who she has a duty of care to uphold with her paying customers when a situation arises which might make them feel uneasy etc and instead of explaining that she didn’t think the situation was going to escalate where she thought police would then have to intervene...she told a blatant lie on how she would be fined if she involved the police since when has anybody or any business ever been refused help from the police when it might be needed but all off a sudden...the police will fine them from this....police have a care of duty to the public just like she has a care of duty to her customers...rant over!!!!!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants