Do Radiator Boosters work - are they worth purchasing???

Found 21st Nov 2012
Hi Guys as the title suggests -ive been looking at effective ways to reduce my costs on my Gas Heating without comprising the fact that i do want it on over the winter!!!

I've seen both on ebay and on other internet sites that radiator boosters can be bought for around £20/£25...... they sit like a fan ontop of the radiator then circulate the heat around the room as apposed to allowing the heat to just rise to the ceiling.

So my question is does any members use them and are they a worthwhilst / cost effective product to run.??????

I've attached below a link and some people debate how useful they actually are.

1. Misc
  2. Radiator
13 Comments

Original Poster

http://www.sust-it.net/blog/radiator-booster-mk3-do-they-work/

Link i was reading.......

Banned

Wow its cold in here

http://www.ian-brown.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/rimshot.gif

Terrible reviews on Amazon

But These seem to get better reviews

Not got either myself

OldEnglish

Terrible reviews on Amazon :(But These seem to get better reviews Not got … Terrible reviews on Amazon :(But These seem to get better reviews Not got either myself

These were on Amazon for £20 earlier today. Might be worth seeing if the come around again.

having read the blog and possible supplier replies it's difficult to answer

yes radiators radiate heat mostly upwards but as one reply states they also generate heat behind

these radiator boosters will help move some of that wasted heat by pushing it horizontally (whether from behind I don't see it) - how that can reduce overall heating costs is the ultimate question because creating a vortex of air also creates a colder air flow - meaning you are using electricity which spins a fan creating cooler air to push warm air created by radiance.

whether this is worth upwards of £20 per radiator - only people who have purchased and proven reduction in running costs (which will be minimal) can answer.... theoretically I think they seem a waste of time

How about installing radiator reflectors to reduce the heat loss through the wall,

http://www.cosyhomestore.ie/acatalog/RadiatorReflector8.jpg

avfcniall

How about installing radiator reflectors to reduce the heat loss through … How about installing radiator reflectors to reduce the heat loss through the wall,

This ^^^^^^

Even tin foil will help (if the shiny side is facing out not the wall doh! (_;) )

Another helpful tip can be to put a shelf a couple of inches above the radiator to help force the heat out instead of up.
No running costs and somewhere else to display your tat...oops priceless heirlooms.

markq

This ^^^^^^Even tin foil will help (if the shiny side is facing out not … This ^^^^^^Even tin foil will help (if the shiny side is facing out not the wall doh! (_;) )Another helpful tip can be to put a shelf a couple of inches above the radiator to help force the heat out instead of up. No running costs and somewhere else to display your tat...oops priceless heirlooms.

heard about the tin foil on superscrimpers programme.

Tinfoil backed cardboard from a big box, keep rads clear of clothes and furnature, chuck thermal socks on etc

radiators should be below a window anyway to heat up any cold air,and any draughts comming in should blow heat back into room.

jamstaruk1972

radiators should be below a window anyway to heat up any cold air,and any … radiators should be below a window anyway to heat up any cold air,and any draughts comming in should blow heat back into room.

Works even better with broken or open windows
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions