Do raw prawns keep longer in the fridge if cooked?

Found 27th Mar
I had some raw prawns seasoned with chilli and something else.
I forgot about them and found them in the fridge on the last day of the date on the packet.

They smelled of chilli and the seasoning so couldn't tell anything by the smell but they looked ok to me.

I cooked them thinking that by cooking them (I just fried them on their own quickly) I could store them in the fridge for a couple more days as I had two night shifts in a row and didn't have time to cook them in the dish I originally bought them for when I woke up.

I intend to use them today. They should be ok, right? It's been a couple of days since they were cooked. Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Only you can decide if they smell ok, we can’t smell them just like anything, they can go off sooner than the date, or days after. You’re the only one going to get sick if they are not ok, so it’s best you decide not a forum
choccie329 m ago

Only you can decide if they smell ok, we can’t smell them just like a …Only you can decide if they smell ok, we can’t smell them just like anything, they can go off sooner than the date, or days after. You’re the only one going to get sick if they are not ok, so it’s best you decide not a forum

Just wanted confirmation that cooking raw prawns is like with meat... once cooked it can be refrigerated again for 2-3 days longer.

The thing is the seasoning has a strong smell of garlic and chilli that would cover any off smell.
Go for it.

Let us know in a few days how it worked out..
my husband eats frozen cooked prawns from sainsburys. he defrost them in the fridge the day before he eats them, but they have stayed in the fridge for 2 days before without any issue so you should be fine.
The date on the packet is a guide. If cooked them I would eat them up to 3 days after. They’ll be fine, just make sure they’re piping hot throughout. Sounds tasty by the way
By raw do you mean grey, or prawns seasoned after they are cooked and pink?
termite20 m ago

By raw do you mean grey, or prawns seasoned after they are cooked and pink?

Grey. They were raw.

Thanks to everybody for the replies.

We ate them and to me they looked, smelled and tasted fine.

If I disappear, you'll know it was the prawns!
hearts229 h, 1 m ago

Just wanted confirmation that cooking raw prawns is like with meat... once …Just wanted confirmation that cooking raw prawns is like with meat... once cooked it can be refrigerated again for 2-3 days longer. The thing is the seasoning has a strong smell of garlic and chilli that would cover any off smell.

You can cook and keep them in the fridge for a couple of days
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants