Do scratch cards have an expiry date?

Found 12th Nov 2012
My mum bought a scratch card last year which she forgot all about. Last week she found it and scratched it only to win £2. She asked me to look at it to see if it had an expiry date and I could not see this but I may have missed it.

She took it to the shop and after 5 minutes of examining it, they gave her the £2 winning. She left the shop and a few minutes later they found her a few shops down the street and asked for the money back as they said they had found out the card had expired.

Is this possible guys?
Community Updates
MiscCard
17 Comments
Can't make her give it back , but they do have an expiry which is 180 days after the date in which Camelot closed the game (usually after all top prizes won, or after xmas for the themed ones)
i think my mum is quite dumb to buy these scratch cards as they are terrible value and you have to scratch them pretty soon after purchase by the look of it.
I'm afraid they do. I pulled this from the national lottery website.

(I) Game Termination and Prize Claim Period
(1) The Company may at any time announce the closing date for an individual Game.
(2) Notices shall be displayed at all Retailers' premises showing clearly how Players may obtain from Retailers up to date information concerning dates of Game Closures and the period within which prizes must be claimed following closure of an individual Game.
(3) Scratchcard Lottery Game Prizes must be claimed within the ordinary hours of business of the Company or of the relevant establishment authorised to pay Prizes (as appropriate) but, in any event, no later than 23:00 hrs on the 180th day after the closing date of the particular Game (the "Claim Period").
Any such Prize not so claimed within this period will be forfeited. Subject to the provisions of Rule 4(J)(4) if a Prize is claimed in person any relevant completed Prize Claim Form and the Valid Winning Ticket must be received by a Retailer or by the Company at any Regional Centre (as appropriate) within this period. If a Prize is claimed by post, the Valid Winning Ticket and any relevant completed Prize Claim Form must be received by the Company at the address of the National Lottery shown on the reverse of such Ticket within this period. Postal claims are made at the Claimant's own risk and the Company accepts no liability for Claimed Tickets and/or Prize Claim Forms lost or delayed in the post.
mutley1

i think my mum is quite dumb to buy these scratch cards as they are … i think my mum is quite dumb to buy these scratch cards as they are terrible value and you have to scratch them pretty soon after purchase by the look of it.

Thank goodness you didn't inherit that

*Runs. Fast*
moose109

Thank goodness you didn't inherit that :)*Runs. Fast*

my parents are as thick as two bricks put together. i don't understand how i manage to be so intelligent having come from them TBH.

some parents are disappointed to have dumb kids, well i am always disappointed to have such stupid parents. it wouldn't be so bad but i end up sorting out all the mess they get themselves into because they are so dumb, it is really very frustrating.
I can't believe they went looking for her for £2. oO If it was £20, then perhaps it would be more understandable lol!
bundle

I can't believe they went looking for her for £2. oO If it was £20, then p … I can't believe they went looking for her for £2. oO If it was £20, then perhaps it would be more understandable lol!

i know. the cheek of it.

it was about 10 minutes after she left and she just happen to visit the flower shop further down the high street. if she had gone home they would not have found her. and all for £2!

they asked her to come back with them to their shop where they then asked her for the money back. she refused to do so and said to them that as a business they should not give money to people then ask for it back. that they had spent nearly 5 minutes examining the ticket in detail and had decided after careful examination that she was entitled to the £2 winning so she was not prepared to give the money back as she did not steal the money off them. they had given it to her.

at least she wasn't so dumb here so in this instance, i am quite proud of her.
.. dont they scan them?
should have said whether winner/valid

actually have one sitting here a 2quid winner found under the bed last week
has (C) 2009 so i assume its expired
has a barcode though
mutley1

i think my mum is quite dumb to buy these scratch cards as they are … i think my mum is quite dumb to buy these scratch cards as they are terrible value and you have to scratch them pretty soon after purchase by the look of it.

why would you not anyway.
brilly

.. dont they scan them? should have said whether winner/validactually … .. dont they scan them? should have said whether winner/validactually have one sitting here a 2quid winner found under the bed last weekhas (C) 2009 so i assume its expiredhas a barcode though

I am surprised you sleep on a night with such a big win on your hands (_;)
amfan

Agreed - I never buy them but if I did I could not stand the suspense.
maccy1

I am surprised you sleep on a night with such a big win on your hands … I am surprised you sleep on a night with such a big win on your hands (_;)

only said was my bed not my card
mutley1

my parents are as thick as two bricks put together. i don't understand … my parents are as thick as two bricks put together. i don't understand how i manage to be so intelligent having come from them TBH. :)some parents are disappointed to have dumb kids, well i am always disappointed to have such stupid parents. it wouldn't be so bad but i end up sorting out all the mess they get themselves into because they are so dumb, it is really very frustrating.

Sounds familiar lol
amfan

because my mum is dumb. haven't you read my earlier post?
amfan

might be like in willy wonka where charlie runs home with his Wonka's Whipple Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delight wotsit to open with his family
bundle

I can't believe they went looking for her for £2. oO If it was £20, then p … I can't believe they went looking for her for £2. oO If it was £20, then perhaps it would be more understandable lol!

I can. Especially it was the erm, erm, 6 Stella for £5 'corner shop' type of shop.
deek72

I can. Especially it was the erm, erm, 6 Stella for £5 'corner shop' type … I can. Especially it was the erm, erm, 6 Stella for £5 'corner shop' type of shop.

In which case they would have scanned it first before paying out. Upon scanning the Couputer Says No and your mum then leaves the shop feeling defalted as her dreams disappeared in front of her eyes.

Either that or this story is full of *imagination*
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants