Do teachers get enough respect?

Found 20th Feb 2010
You hear a lot of people saying about how teachers have loads of time off and they finish work at 3pm, Etc. Which is all balls.

So I was just wondering: Do teachers get enough respect in modern society? or do people see them as lower member of society?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
77 Comments

No, it's a pish-poor brand of whiskey, get a decent malt.

Original Poster

Trickyjabs;7902692

No, it's a pish-poor brand of whiskey, get a decent malt.

lol. good one.

Jumpingphil;7902695

They don't seem to get any respect from their pupils these days.

+ 1

i allways see my class mates being rude to he teachers

Some very good ones and some awful ones. My son has a maths teacher who in one year has never looked at his homework.
Whilst i always used to respect them now i wait till they have earned it. Quite a sad reflection on society i think.

no they dont and it is definatley not a 9-3! i wish it was!

depends what part of the education system i guess, like primary school teachers are not much more than baby sitters that can handle many kids at once, and have a little knowledge in various subjects, further up you go i guess there stature goes up, right the way upto professers fellows, and masters at uni's

I used to work as teacher for a while, it wasn't for me

teshnit;7902767

depends what part of the education system i guess, like primary school … depends what part of the education system i guess, like primary school teachers are not much more than baby sitters that can handle many kids at once, and have a little knowledge in various subjects, further up you go i guess there stature goes up, right the way upto professers fellows, and masters at uni's

you obviously dont have much knowledge of the qualifications or anything else for that matter!

StudentJo;7902791

A decent primary school teacher does more than baby sit. There is more to … A decent primary school teacher does more than baby sit. There is more to teaching than subject knowledge.

++++++++11111111111111totally agree :thumbsup:

Original Poster

teshnit;7902767

depends what part of the education system i guess, like primary school … depends what part of the education system i guess, like primary school teachers are not much more than baby sitters that can handle many kids at once, and have a little knowledge in various subjects, further up you go i guess there stature goes up, right the way upto professers fellows, and masters at uni's

So you think that children just magically develop reading and writing when they reach year 7? Teachers in primary schools need more knowledge than secondary etc

Think this is a prime example of what the thread is about.

Most new ones are just graduates with no idea what else to do. Seems like most people I knew at Uni ended up becoming teachers. Almost like it's the easy way out for those wanting a respected(?) job with good starting pay.

Original Poster

sdavi3680;7902952

Most new ones are just graduates with no idea what else to do. Seems like … Most new ones are just graduates with no idea what else to do. Seems like most people I knew at Uni ended up becoming teachers. Almost like it's the easy way out for those wanting a respected(?) job with good starting pay.

Does not pay enough. lol

Goofeys Girl;7902716

Whilst i always used to respect them now i wait till they have earned it. … Whilst i always used to respect them now i wait till they have earned it. Quite a sad reflection on society i think.

Most teachers feel exactly the same about parents.

Original Poster

Parents can teach better than teachers.........:w00t:

well thats what most parents think. Most think that teachers just stand in front of children, they dont plan, assess or even dance while eating fire!

StudentJo;7902965

I wouldn't say it is a particularly easy route if you don't particularly … I wouldn't say it is a particularly easy route if you don't particularly want to do it. There are far easier jobs out there, plus a PGCE or equivalent is far from a walk in the park.

You are pretty much guaranteed a job with starting salary of around £20,000. I don't think it's actually an easy job to do, just something that's easy to fall in to when you have no idea what else to do when you graduate.

Original Poster

Gauranteed? Not here.

Banned

I know people who have become teachers - they weren't the 'cream of the crop'.

That means that teachers aren't being paid enough. Pay them more, hire a higher quality of teacher and then they'll get the respect they deserve.

virus;7903011

Most teachers feel exactly the same about parents.

Hell, YES !!!!

it depends also in which category you teach although i am not saying one is easier or harder than the other only different and you do not get paid for the hours you put in and people say we get all these holidays thats rubbish as alot of us are not just term time some establishments are all year round and need to be for the children we are providing for!

Banned

I used to think the teachers at my littluns school were pretty good, but I have to say my opinion has changed radically. There are still some decent ones there, but so many of them seem to be long term sick!

[QUOTE=FilthAndFurry;7903172]I know people who have become teachers - they weren't the [SIZE="4"]'cream of the crop'[/SIZE].

Do you mean acedemically? I think you'll find that being "acedemic" to the nth degree does not necessarily make a good teacher, there's a lot more to it...

And I cannot think of a worse job to be in if you don't enjoy it.

And as far as holidays are concerned a lot of jobs have caught up, and even surpass teaching holidays...

And the pay is not that great...

AND..... can you tell?

Banned

If teachers were 'respected' in society, their wages wouldn't be so poor.

Pay more, attract a higher calibre of candidate and we'd have a better education system.

I agree with those that most teachers are people who don't really know what else to do.

Original Poster

I do believe that the government is to blaime for the some of the disrespect. When the bankers went bust they consider giving them quick 6 week training courses so they could become teachers, other instances in that some one who has a degree in tourism can do PGCE in teaching in that time they can not have all the knowledge to teach primary children effectively.

Please forgive me, I am ******.

Banned

jonb2412;7903205

Do you mean acedemically? I think you'll find that being "acedemic" to … Do you mean acedemically? I think you'll find that being "acedemic" to the nth degree does not necessarily make a good teacher, there's a lot more to it...

Not just academically, but having investigative minds.

The people I went to school with who became teachers (in decent schools as far as I know) weren't the most interesting people in terms of the music they liked, the books they read etc.

The best teachers I had were wonderfully knowledgeable people who would teach you things that weren't perhaps in the syllabus or would help you pass a test, but were very interesting to know.

A lot of teachers seem to be nothing more than lost lambs longing for the comfort they remember from being at school.

FilthAndFurry;7903226

Not just academically, but having investigative minds. The people I went … Not just academically, but having investigative minds. The people I went to school with who became teachers (in decent schools as far as I know) weren't the most interesting people in terms of the music they liked, the books they read etc.The best teachers I had were wonderfully knowledgeable people who would teach you things that weren't perhaps in the syllabus or would help you pass a test, but were very interesting to know.[SIZE="4"]A lot of teachers[/SIZE] seem to be nothing more than lost lambs longing for the comfort they remember from being at school.

Gosh... you seem to know a lot of teachers really well ??

Banned

Latinosharkey;7903216

I do believe that the government is to blaime for the some of the … I do believe that the government is to blaime for the some of the disrespect. When the bankers went bust they consider giving them quick 6 week training courses so they could become teachers, other instances in that some one who has a degree in tourism can do PGCE in teaching in that time they can not have all the knowledge to teach primary children effectively. Please forgive me, I am ******.

It's not the government - society inevitably gets the government it deserves.

It's everyone's fault, from moaning about paying 'higher taxes' to a myriad of other things that mean we now fetishise 'youth' and 'stupidity' instead of respecting intelligence and experience.

We have exactly the type of education system you'd expect from a nation of soap fans and reality tv viewers.

In fact, we're lucky it's this good.

Banned

jonb2412;7903233

Gosh... you seem to know a lot of teachers really well ??

A lot of people are reaching that age where they want to 'catch-up' with old friends and reminisce.

I get the skinny of 'you've become a teacher and you're still a fantastically dull person with all the investigative nature of a house rabbit'.

Original Poster

StudentJo;7903258

I think you are wrong with your comment about degree subject.

telll the truth i will agree with u. Sorry, lol

But i think i have point, the government dont seem to help.

FilthAndFurry;7903226

Not just academically, but having investigative minds. A lot of teachers … Not just academically, but having investigative minds. A lot of teachers seem to be nothing more than lost lambs longing for the comfort they remember from being at school.

Just wondering Filth, whether ignorance really is bliss?

"If teachers were 'respected' in society, their wages wouldn't be so poor."

Yep, everyone has utter disrespect for nurses. I can't stand their useless life-saving abilities. And I'm sure that the public at large have the upmost respect for bankers and Chelsea football players.

"Pay more, attract a higher calibre of candidate and we'd have a better education system."
Nope, get some parents to be more responsible and give more than a toss about their kids and that would lead to an improved education system. When children aren't fairly disciplined (and more importantly, loved) by their parents, it's the teaching profession that picks up the pieces. They're educators not social workers.

"I agree with those that most teachers are people who don't really know what else to do."
Your post was the kind of nonsensical diatribe that I'd normally expect to see in the Daily Mail. :whistling:

Wages have nothing to do with it

Nurses,Paramedics and the like are highly respected(by me anyway) and they are on crap wages

Teachers are not shown enough respect by parents or kids....need to get back to basics

FilthAndFurry;7903262

A lot of people are reaching that age where they want to 'catch-up' with … A lot of people are reaching that age where they want to 'catch-up' with old friends and reminisce.I get the skinny of 'you've become a teacher and you're still a fantastically dull person with all the investigative nature of a house rabbit'.

And of course there you are spending so much time on the computer, reminiscing with old school friends of which it seems the majority became teachers.

You are great at generalisations and seem quite opinionated about... well everything really. I wish you'd had better teachers when you were at school... maybe they would have taught you about openmindedness and the possibility that you are not always right.

Maybe you should adopt a more investigative approach to forming your opinions, and not base them on a few old withered friends... and it is my guess that at school they weren't really your friends.

Banned

Stopha;7903278

Just wondering Filth, whether ignorance really is bliss? "If teachers … Just wondering Filth, whether ignorance really is bliss? "If teachers were 'respected' in society, their wages wouldn't be so poor."Yep, everyone has utter disrespect for nurses. I can't stand their useless life-saving abilities. And I'm sure that the public at large have the upmost respect for bankers and Chelsea football players. "Pay more, attract a higher calibre of candidate and we'd have a better education system."Nope, get some parents to be more responsible and give more than a toss about their kids and that would lead to an improved education system. When children aren't fairly disciplined (and more importantly, loved) by their parents, it's the teaching profession that picks up the pieces. They're educators not social workers."I agree with those that most teachers are people who don't really know what else to do."Your post was the kind of nonsensical diatribe that I'd normally expect to see in the Daily Mail. :whistling:

Nurses - I'm not familiar with nurse's wages/conditions so can't really comment.

Parents - Absolutely should be more responsible for their kids. But we should also make school more than a glorified day care so that maybe they feel obliged to invest more time in their kids education.

Having said that, many of these bad parents weren't born this way - they came through the same education system. It seems as though your excusing the education system now because it failed the parents years ago.

Interesting defence of schools. Don't blame the schools......um, blame the products of the schools.

FilthAndFurry;7903323

Nurses - I'm not familiar with nurse's wages/conditions so can't really … Nurses - I'm not familiar with nurse's wages/conditions so can't really comment.Parents - Absolutely should be more responsible for their kids. But we should also make school more than a glorified day care so that maybe they feel obliged to invest more time in their kids education.Having said that, many of these bad parents weren't born this way - they came through the same education system. It seems as though your excusing the education system now because it failed the parents years ago.Interesting defence of schools. Don't blame the schools......um, blame the products of the schools.

ROFL.....

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you ..

Banned

jonb2412;7903314

And of course there you are spending so much time on the computer, … And of course there you are spending so much time on the computer, reminiscing with old school friends of which it seems the majority became teachers. You are great at generalisations and seem quite opinionated about... well everything really. I wish you'd had better teachers when you were at school... maybe they would have taught you about openmindedness and the possibility that you are not always right. Maybe you should adopt a more investigative approach to forming your opinions, and not base them on a few old withered friends... and it is my guess that at school they weren't really your friends.

My teachers taught me that reasoned debate tends not to involve ad hominem attacks as it rarely adds anything.

They also taught me to read and learn about as much as I can, so I will take your comment that 'I have an opinion about everything' as a huge compliment.

FilthAndFurry;7903323

Nurses - I'm not familiar with nurse's wages/conditions so can't really … Nurses - I'm not familiar with nurse's wages/conditions so can't really comment.Parents - Absolutely should be more responsible for their kids. But we should also make school more than a glorified day care so that maybe they feel obliged to invest more time in their kids education.Having said that, many of these bad parents weren't born this way - they came through the same education system. It seems as though your excusing the education system now because it failed the parents years ago.Interesting defence of schools. Don't blame the schools......um, blame the products of the schools.

Genius

Banned

jonb2412;7903336

ROFL.....

Only 22 left to go and then we'll worry about getting them in the right order:thumbsup:

Banned

StudentJo;7903355

Genius

A few points short but I blame the cultural discrimination inherent in standardised testing.;-)

FilthAndFurry;7903359

Only 22 left to go and then we'll worry about getting them in the right … Only 22 left to go and then we'll worry about getting them in the right order:thumbsup:

And again..

A lot of primary schools have open day type things, where parentsand/or grandparents are invited in to lessons, you should go.

Also opportunities for "upstanding members of the community", like yourself, can go into schools and talk to children..... feel free to offer your services.

Banned

jonb2412;7903408

And again.. A lot of primary schools have open day type things, where … And again.. A lot of primary schools have open day type things, where parentsand/or grandparents are invited in to lessons, you should go.Also opportunities for "upstanding members of the community", like yourself, can go into schools and talk to children..... feel free to offer your services.

I actually have been back to my old school to run 'workshops' and give a talk. But I was lucky in that my school was very good and this point is not that important.

Do you honestly think we're attracting the best and brightest candidates for teaching roles?

FilthAndFurry;7903323

Any arguments you have lose credibility when you suggest you're unaware of nurse's poor pay conditions. You pontificate on the state of education, but have no idea nurses are badly paid?

I can only assume that you had a pretty awful schooling if you think it amounts to little more than day care. At least any kids you deem worthy to be born into this clapped-out world will no doubt benefit from you home-schooling them.

My defence of schools is based on the fact that the support that comes from parents outside of school is vital for most children to progress and flourish. If a parent devalues education, that has a knock-on effect. It's naive, blinkered and Clarkson-esque to point a finger in one direction as you have a habit of doing.
Post a comment
@
    Text