Groups

Do TENS machines work for pain relief?

Mod & Ed
    Hi, have been looking at pain relief for labour, and was wondering whether Tens machines work, have read loads of varying opinions on them, but wondered whether anyone on here had personal experience?

Thanks

26 Comments

i have had mine for about 18months and for minor back ache/pain i find it works quite well to relieve the pain.
    I only spent £14.99 from lloyds pharmacy so id say spend £14.99 on one, then if it doesnt work for you its not a major loss.

As many people say they dont work for them, but others like me say they do.

Personally i think it is just that, a personal thing. For me i hate taking pills so its a good alternative.

we have one and the simple answer is it can work on some pains and some people. For example it will work on my knee and ankle but not on my partners. She will use it effectively on her shoulder to great effect but it will not work on other areas.

Seems total hit and moss to me.

it did nothing for me but iv heard they work for some people ! gas and air win every time

I bought one for my wife and she "loved" it when having our second child.
    It was perfect for the start of labour but as soon as she was given gas and air, the pain went and so the Tens became annoying.
    I say it was he best thing I bought. I did buy from ebay and resold it with fresh unopened pads so total cost worked out around £5.
    Remember it is the machine you are buying as the pads can be bought elsewhere.

I never used one personally but a friend of mine did and said it didn't help her. Its hard to say if it will help you or not as all labours/pain are different.

I couldn't have survived labour without mine! Complete godsend! I couldn't sit down or anything until they gave me this and the pain went away! Will def use one again! Hope it works for you!

I had my first three without pain relief... if you keep up and keep moving you shouldnt need the tens. It's not comfortable, but pain itself wont kill you.

My last one I had an epidural as he was by cesar and spent most of the next few days in a mist of morphine induced calmness... lol

Just depends on what you need hun x x

I ripped mine off my back as it caused me more pain than i was in lol! Just had pethadine (sp) gas and air and a little shot of diamorphine.

Yeh I be interested to know too if any good.
    I think it might be case though,will work for some and not others.
    As far as I know I should only be having gas air and unsure if anything else works,epidural I know worked for me 1st time though but they not ideal to have.

Worked for me when I done my back in.

It said only use for 15 mins at a time in the instructions, but I had it on for a good 2 hours each time.

It disrupts the pain signals & basically made my back numb where the pain was.

Worked in early stages for me 3 times. I only took it off when I went in the pool. It was fantastic. If you want pain free birth I would highly recommend hypnobirthing. I just read the book without doing the course and managed an 11lb 8 1/2 oz baby 4 weeks ago with only gas and air.

geegee-pinata;6194455

I ripped mine off my back as it caused me more pain than i was in lol! … I ripped mine off my back as it caused me more pain than i was in lol! Just had pethadine (sp) gas and air and a little shot of diamorphine.

Morphine rocks ;-)

I hated gas and air.... just makes the room spin and you feel out of control.

Original Poster Mod & Ed

jellybaby22;6195174

didnt work for me...I had to go down the gas and … didnt work for me...I had to go down the gas and air...pethidine.....epidural route...and was still screaming in agony....

I was exactly the same with my 1st 17 yrs ago, and now at the ripe old age of 40, about to have my 2nd I'll try anything to avoid pain lol

Gas and Air took my concentration off breathing through my contractions, walking up and down worked a treat as pain relief for my 2 lol (seriously) walk through the pain

Original Poster Mod & Ed

wookiemummy;6195302

Worked in early stages for me 3 times. I only took it off when I went in … Worked in early stages for me 3 times. I only took it off when I went in the pool. It was fantastic. If you want pain free birth I would highly recommend hypnobirthing. I just read the book without doing the course and managed an 11lb 8 1/2 oz baby 4 weeks ago with only gas and air.

Congratulations!!!

ClarityofMind;6195372

Morphine rocks ;-)I hated gas and air.... just makes the room spin and … Morphine rocks ;-)I hated gas and air.... just makes the room spin and you feel out of control.

I know, but to be honest i wanted all the drugs possible ha ha, by the time i begged for an epidural it was too late!! Was off me nut on the others though - no wonder the baby slept for 8 hours the first night!!! :whistling:

4lyons09;6195418

Gas and Air took my concentration off breathing through my contractions, … Gas and Air took my concentration off breathing through my contractions, walking up and down worked a treat as pain relief for my 2 lol (seriously) walk through the pain

agree with the walking xx

wishihadadonkey;6195413

I was exactly the same with my 1st 17 yrs ago, and now at the ripe old … I was exactly the same with my 1st 17 yrs ago, and now at the ripe old age of 40, about to have my 2nd I'll try anything to avoid pain lol

wow, quite an age gap for you xx

Original Poster Mod & Ed

ClarityofMind;6195442

wow, quite an age gap for you xx

I know, thought I was going through the menopause when I missed periods lol

wishihadadonkey;6198432

I know, thought I was going through the menopause when I missed periods … I know, thought I was going through the menopause when I missed periods lol

wow

are you looking forward to it now? when are you due?

Original Poster Mod & Ed

ClarityofMind;6198445

woware you looking forward to it now? when are you due?

Due in approx 4 weeks, was stunned at 1st, was on pill, took extra precautions too, made my oh wear underpants 2 sizes too small and sit with his legs crossed at home, but my sister bought him some novelty boxer shorts for xmas which he wore and the date of conception coincides exactly, so I know who to blame lol, but now I'm used to it, it was obviously meant for a reason, I'm a great believer in that.

wishihadadonkey;6203217

Due in approx 4 weeks, was stunned at 1st, was on pill, took extra … Due in approx 4 weeks, was stunned at 1st, was on pill, took extra precautions too, made my oh wear underpants 2 sizes too small and sit with his legs crossed at home, but my sister bought him some novelty boxer shorts for xmas which he wore and the date of conception coincides exactly, so I know who to blame lol, but now I'm used to it, it was obviously meant for a reason, I'm a great believer in that.

awww, i laughed at your examples.

i really do think the coolness to the uhm, bits has a lot to do with it.

its nice you feel it was meant to be.... bet your older one is over the moon for you xxxxx

Original Poster Mod & Ed

ClarityofMind;6203245

awww, i laughed at your examples.i really do think the coolness to the … awww, i laughed at your examples.i really do think the coolness to the uhm, bits has a lot to do with it.its nice you feel it was meant to be.... bet your older one is over the moon for you xxxxx

He was in shock at first, but is now quietly pleased, it's supposed to be a girl so is looking forward to doing the protective older brother bit I think

i didnt believe it would work for me, so when i had my little girl i had every pain relief going lol

then i had to had a c section anyway lol

wishihadadonkey;6203418

He was in shock at first, but is now quietly pleased, it's supposed to be … He was in shock at first, but is now quietly pleased, it's supposed to be a girl so is looking forward to doing the protective older brother bit I think

awww bless, but how wonderful for you you're gonna have a girl after the boy xxx

I've had a boy, 2 girls, then 2 boys xx

The girls are a nightmare through teen yrs lol

ilovepink;6203441

i didnt believe it would work for me, so when i had my little girl i had … i didnt believe it would work for me, so when i had my little girl i had every pain relief going lolthen i had to had a c section anyway lol

c sections = Gods forgiveness of original sin.... lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?31140
      2. What do these 2 men have in common1218
      3. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…34
      4. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio79

See more discussions