Groups

Do Tesco block the internet in their stores?

I have two big Tesco near me. For as long as I remember in both stores I and others I've spoken to have never been able to get an internet connection in there. I think they do it to stop you checking prices elsewhere so you buy the product there and then. Are there any Tescos about that you can connect to the internet? If not, why did they do this? Am just nosey and never understood why can always fully use phone elsewhere.

41 Comments

They give out free wifi why would they block you

Maybe me being naive, but I always thought it was the construction of the building? Lots of metal beams makes it almost a Faraday cage for mobile signals.

Sometimes certain buildings just have spots were the signal does not get through. Mine frustratingly does not work in the kitchen at work.

No they do not block the internet!!!

My local Morrisions, you lose all phone signals, including 2G, within 10ft of the entrance, despite there being a (disguised) phone mast in the carpark, so yes, I do suspect Tesco of blocking.

Probably not deliberate. I suspect that the construction of the building is like a Faraday cage (as in metal encased by concrete).

Edit: milesy29 beat me to it.
    Edited by: "dcarmi" 14th Dec 2016

never had that problem in Tesco - can never get one in my local M & S

I bet they block certain site, come on Op visit them sites in the privacy of your own home

Original Poster

Even by the door it happens. If I've needed to make a call whilst in there, I have to go right outside. There is another one in a big shopping centre. Can use phone everywhere else but the minute you go through Tesco doors, phone signal has gone.

no worries connecting in my local stores, probably just the construction of the building.

Just to add, my local shops are not the corrugated steel construction, but brick, and even the steel support framework should not be enough to block phone signals.

Supermarkets are doing it to stop you comparison shopping while still in the aisle.

dixin123

They give out free wifi why would they block you

This, every tesco i have been in have offered free wifi, so pointless blocking signal really, especially for the reason of stopping you checking prices..

Have no problem in my local Tesco, but at Sainsbury's you loose all connection as soon as you go in. Been a problem in the past when my daughter has sent me urgent texts and I haven't got them until I leave the store.

Happens to OH in Tesco and Morrisons,he goes mad X)

never had any issue with tesco,morrisons on the other hand never get any signal going round store(can in cafe)

I'm always on here in their stores

as soon as I walk in to my tesco I always go on hukd and search tesco for the latest deals....via the free wifi

Banned

More than likely they would want to have access to your mobile via a wifi signal.

just use their free wifi to get on the internet, its inside all the steel

Think some folks need to know the difference between a phone signal (2G, 4G etc) and an internet connection (wi fi I presume ) . They are not the same thing oO
    Edited by: "rogparki" 14th Dec 2016

I get the same in Tesco (Winchester) & ASDA (Eastleigh), 0 signal.

Im on 02.

Original Poster

I'm Vodafone. I have no signal, no internet. Says e for error where wifi should be and no service. I do know the difference between phone signal and internet thank you very much!

rogparki

Think some folks need to know the difference between a phone signal (2G, … Think some folks need to know the difference between a phone signal (2G, 4G etc) and an internet connection (wi fi I presume ) . They are not the same thing oO

Err, so do you, wifi is just a means to get internet access, just like 3/4G.

2G blocking is (I think) illegal, as it stops you dialling 999, yet as I mentioned before.....

Just to add, if you have to connect to the store wifi, then they can track you around the store, and possibly also "see" what you are doing online.
    A number of shopping centres have been caught wifi/3/4G tracking in recent years.
    Edited by: "Gentle_Giant" 14th Dec 2016

Zero phone signal in Walkden for me too. Internet via their free WiFi has always been fine for me in any Tesco

yes no Internet in mine

Gentle_Giant

Err, so do you, wifi is just a means to get internet access, just like … Err, so do you, wifi is just a means to get internet access, just like 3/4G.2G blocking is (I think) illegal, as it stops you dialling 999, yet as I mentioned before.....Just to add, if you have to connect to the store wifi, then they can track you around the store, and possibly also "see" what you are doing online.A number of shopping centres have been caught wifi/3/4G tracking in recent years.

Wi fi is a completely different beast than a network signal oO . You can get data (internet) via your phone signal but only through your provider . Free Wi fi spots (like your home wi fi ) provide internet access to your phone / laptop but not phone calls as such .
    Edited by: "rogparki" 14th Dec 2016

rogparki

Wi fi is a completely different beast than a network signal oO . You can … Wi fi is a completely different beast than a network signal oO . You can get data (internet) via your phone signal but only through your provider . Free Wi fi spots (like your home wi fi ) provide internet access to your phone / laptop but not phone calls as such .

VOIP

Gentle_Giant

VOIP

Quite right , hence I stated "as such" . I'm no good at teaching so I'll let someone who is, correct the misconceptions already shown on this thread .By the way post #2 is correct if you are referring to internet via your data allowance .

Banned

Zero signal in any large tesco I have been in within 10 or so meters from the door.

free wifi though

#2 isnt correct. Phone radio waves are in the mm range, so the construction would have to be near solid metal to block them.

I studeid electronics, I know what a Faraday cage is, how it works and what it neds to work, a steel re-enforced building isnt and can never be a faraday cage without extensive modification.

A cell jammer is much cheaper and easier to deny, you can turn it off if you suspect OFCOM have sent anyone to investigate - although at over £100 per hour to investigate, few people will get OFCOM to go that far.

Never heard so much rubbish in my life. No Tesco stores do not block phone signal.

Thats some x-files conspiracy stuff right there!!!!!

No, but the type of construction frame and insulation will block your phones signal /data.

This is exactly why I opt to wear a hat made out of good quality tin foil whenever I go to Tescos. People often stare and laugh but at least I can use my phone.
    Edited by: "pogbanogba" 14th Dec 2016

It's pretty illegal for them to do and they'd get big fines. It's more likely that it's the building construction and their handheld scanners all run over wireless networks scattered around the store, probably that interfering as well.

rogparki

Wi fi is a completely different beast than a network signal oO . You can … Wi fi is a completely different beast than a network signal oO . You can get data (internet) via your phone signal but only through your provider . Free Wi fi spots (like your home wi fi ) provide internet access to your phone / laptop but not phone calls as such .

Not with EE. When I am at home I get free calls through my Wi fi.

Same in tesco in Sheffield, says free wifi but every time i open their app it does not connect, thought it was just me . Phone signals ok though,,, strange
    Edited by: "ciderno1" 14th Dec 2016

I can go in to local sainsburys on my dual SIM phone, o2 has zero signal inside but Vodafone has near enough full. I've switch it three (iD) and now get zero signal inside on either
    It's possible some stores have masts on roof of other networks causing block out to others ??
    They wont be deliberately blocking
    some not other networks though

i am blocked in ALL my local supermarkets * they definitely do this in my city.. they know people in my city are price conscious due to poverty.. i have the latest 2017 4g device and have tried many configurations and three different sims and not working

knowitall5

i am blocked in ALL my local supermarkets * they definitely do this in my … i am blocked in ALL my local supermarkets * they definitely do this in my city.. they know people in my city are price conscious due to poverty.. i have the latest 2017 4g device and have tried many configurations and three different sims and not working

Pretty sure, as above, it's the construction of the building. Both Asda and Tesco have free WiFi, I'm unsure of the others.

If those in your city are as price conscious as you say, they'll be checking prices online before they go shopping.

Supermarkets have nothing to gain from blocking internet access in their stores. If something seems too expensive, people can just nip outside and check on their phones, or just walk away without it.

So many tin foil hats in this thread!
    Edited by: "miikeyblue" 26th May
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Family Spotify account11
      2. Legal advice22
      3. Washer Dryer44
      4. Samsung Galaxy S655

See more discussions