Do the vast majority of gamers really buy their video games from Game etc (inflation blamed on gaming)

30 replies
Found 14th Jun
As I can tell you games all the way back to PS2 era have been £40 roughly, yet inflation is being partly blamed on the price of games.... online retailers rarely go over £40 for even new releases... so it must be Game, HMV, CEX etc who charged £59 for new releases.

30 Comments

its not about inflation its about increased spec hardware, rrp and shop over heads compared to online

Very rare for me to pay full rrp or even £40
I expect there are alot of parents and young adults who pay the price asked without much question or shopping around.

I've seen videos on YouTube of kids blowing £60 on a free to play game.. Just to get some in game items without playing to earn them.

While people do pay they will keep selling at these prices.

Original Poster

stevemc2019

its not about inflation its about increased spec hardware, rrp and shop … its not about inflation its about increased spec hardware, rrp and shop over heads compared to online

you misunderstand, UK inflation yesterday was higher than expected and blamed on the price of games increasing, and holidays

I don't know anyone who pays full price for a new game in a store, literally every gamer that I know buys their games online.
Clearly there must be a whole bunch of people buying at full price in-store else the stores would have reduced their prices by now. No idea who they are. Maybe old people buying for their grandkids?

I found this on the bbc:

Computer games are part of the recreational and cultural goods and … Computer games are part of the recreational and cultural goods and services sector, where prices rose overall by 0.9% between April and May compared with a fall of 0.4% a year ago.As computer games are mostly imported they have been affected by the weaker pound, while the drop in sterling has also meant holidays abroad are more expensive.

Computer games are part of a sector and that sector only had a 0.9% increase.

The 'blame' really falls on the weaker £ brought on by Brexit uncertainty.

Destard

I don't know anyone who pays full price for a new game in a store, … I don't know anyone who pays full price for a new game in a store, literally every gamer that I know buys their games online.Clearly there must be a whole bunch of people buying at full price in-store else the stores would have reduced their prices by now. No idea who they are. Maybe old people buying for their grandkids?

It's usually the uninformed, those who don't like online shopping, parents that cave into their kids demands etc. They make up a lot of numbers, just check the city shopping centres.

Asking here will give a skewed view since most of us do online shopping and look out for the best price.

@Aeschylus: During the SNES/PS1 era, Woolworths and the like charged up to £60 for new releases.
Edited by: "tsimehC" 14th Jun

Video games are much better value than films.
My wife bought Trainspotting 2 for £14 which will give us what 2 hrs entertainment, whilst something like GTA V I must have had hundreds of hours entertainment and has been worth every penny of the £40 cost. So I don't begrudge the cost of games as long as they entertain.
Edited by: "DKLS" 14th Jun

My ex buys games in GAME but he isn't very rational at the moment.

just wait for the sales .. [edited to remove stupid smiley icon. i want 8 and bracket darnit ]
Edited by: "higgles" 14th Jun

Error440

My ex buys games in GAME but he isn't very rational at the moment.

There's a joke about deflation somewhere in there... (_;)

Nope but I know many idiots that do buy from game all the time then trade in and think they got a brand new game for £10.

DKLS

Video games are much better value than films.My wife bought Trainspotting … Video games are much better value than films.My wife bought Trainspotting 2 for £14 which will give us what 2 hrs entertainment, whilst something like GTA V I must have had hundreds of hours entertainment and has been worth every penny of the £40 cost. So I don't begrudge the cost of games as long as they entertain.

​Oh No Definitely not the case Ive rewatched the Film 4 times so I mean, 8 hours not bad for a Film

I remember being in a Game store about three or four years back browsing the shelves, remember seeing quite a few people going in and paying full price for one of the Call of Duty games that had been released that very morning, from recollection it was Black Ops 2.

Personally speaking I have a massive backlog of games and prefer to pick up games when their on offer, either in physical format or digital. I'm currently having a great time with Dying Light on my XBox One and have just picked up Battlefront UE offer which has been posted on here this week, but will be my last game purchase for a while...

It always amazes me how many will pay full price for a game, but I'm happy for them to do that...
Edited by: "FTCom" 14th Jun

FTCom

It always amazes me how many will pay full price for a game, but I'm … It always amazes me how many will pay full price for a game, but I'm happy for them to do that...

It really depends on the game, for some of the big multiplayer releases I'll buy the game on launch because that's when everyone is learning the game and the population is a decent size. Playing the game some time later when the cost has come down can mean either the player population has dropped to an elite few and really not much fun to get into or there's a decent population but still mostly made up of experienced players which I find much more frustrating to get into the game with. Plus I'll get many months out of a decent multiplayer so it's still decent value for money.

Single player games that aren't going to change I normally will wait until they're reduced.

As for those who buy at Game, I don't think it's the savvy gamers - as mentioned above it mainly seems to be parents or relatives buying games for others.

John

To me, the staff at GAME appear like English goths or hippies. I did have the pleasure of visiting a GAME store in Liberty Romford few years ago where one of the staff was hovering about and asking people if they needed help. Had a good chat with him about potential games as he really knew his stuff.

FTCom

It always amazes me how many will pay full price for a game, but I'm … It always amazes me how many will pay full price for a game, but I'm happy for them to do that...

It really depends on the game, for some of the big multiplayer releases I'll buy the game on launch because that's when everyone is learning the game and the population is a decent size. Playing the game some time later when the cost has come down can mean either the player population has dropped to an elite few and really not much fun to get into or there's a decent population but still mostly made up of experienced players which I find much more frustrating to get into the game with. Plus I'll get many months out of a decent multiplayer so it's still decent value for money.

Single player games that aren't going to change I normally will wait until they're reduced.

As for those who buy at Game, I don't think it's the savvy gamers - as mentioned above it mainly seems to be parents or relatives buying games for others.

John

kdk

I found this on the bbc:Computer games are part of a sector and that … I found this on the bbc:Computer games are part of a sector and that sector only had a 0.9% increase.The 'blame' really falls on the weaker £ brought on by Brexit uncertainty.

​Don't be coy, the blame falls on the people that voted for Brexit

zworld

To me, the staff at GAME appear like English goths or hippies. I did have … To me, the staff at GAME appear like English goths or hippies. I did have the pleasure of visiting a GAME store in Liberty Romford few years ago where one of the staff was hovering about and asking people if they needed help. Had a good chat with him about potential games as he really knew his stuff.

English goths. Is this a whole new sub-type of goth I wasn't aware of? Or are you just delighted to see English people working in GAME?

Banned

I never buy from Game instore, it's just a really terrible experience. You pay full price, while doing so you are bombarded with numerous attempts to up sell a load of crap I don't want and have no interest in.

To people who assume it's just misinformed parents or grandparents that shop in there, go look at their social media pages, especially Facebook. I was really surprised by the people who seem to adore game and can't wait to throw their money at them! And God help you if you dare to say anything bad about Game, these brain washed idiots really go off on one then!

Not the best place to ask this really, everyone on HUKD knows you can get much better value online.

I'll buy from game if the prices are good enough. I tend to wait until games are a year or 2 old before I buy them - I refuse to pay £30-40 for a game.

I do not think the vast majority of games are bought in Game or HMV - if they were these two stores would be much more profitable, especially Game, than they are. Both stores have been in financial trouble in the recent memory. I would hate to lose these two high street giants but it is rare that their instore prices are competitive. I do not even check local HMV games. Game are often good online. CEX interests me, their prices are well inflated. I have a theory though - there must be alot of high street shoppers that simply cannot buy online - cash account holders (no debit/ credit cards and therefore no paypal etc) These people are forced to buy in the high street and forced to accept high street prices. What about people who earn cash in hand and want to spend that 'off the books' maybe they buy their games amoung other things that way!? Plus of course the uninformed or short of time (birthdays/ Xmas) where presents are bought last minute on the high street.

There are a generation or two of shoppers whose shopping habits are to go into town to get the things they need/ want. Grandparents/ mums & dads, not all of course but I would guess there are many. Old habits die hard and people shop instinctively. My wife does it - she will go into town to get me something - shorts for hols was the latest - I had seen a pair in JD and so she went to get them but they did not have my size - I did not know she was going to get them and so when she said sorry I could not get your size I said we can just order online and collect in store, that I am sure they will stock my size online - I said she needn't have even gone in especially to check. She was like 'oh yeah'. Completely different shopping habits/ instincts from two people who live together!

JumpMan1980

There are a generation or two of shoppers whose shopping habits are to go … There are a generation or two of shoppers whose shopping habits are to go into town to get the things they need/ want. Grandparents/ mums & dads, not all of course but I would guess there are many. Old habits die hard and people shop instinctively. My wife does it - she will go into town to get me something - shorts for hols was the latest - I had seen a pair in JD and so she went to get them but they did not have my size - I did not know she was going to get them and so when she said sorry I could not get your size I said we can just order online and collect in store, that I am sure they will stock my size online - I said she needn't have even gone in especially to check. She was like 'oh yeah'. Completely different shopping habits/ instincts from two people who live together!

I think this is it. There a still a lot of people who not only don't see shopping online as an everyday thing but also think the internet stops at Facebook. They only gaming news they know is the information they pick up from Game stores when visiting, the first they hear of a new release is when they see it up for pre-order at £59 in store (they also think they have to pre-order to guarantee stock like back in the day)
Its a crazy thought for a lot of (particularly young) people but I know people like this!

It's bad enough buying one overpriced game from GAME, but to buy this many...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/cooldude012/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-15%20at%2012.47.32_zps4pbns29w.png

Stupid is as stupid does and to think those are preorders for titles only seen via a trailer at a show too, double stupidity

Sung to the tune of Goldie looking Chains "monster" Hit....

Games don't cause inflation, Brexit does.

Banned

CoolDude0123

It's bad enough buying one overpriced game from GAME, but to buy this … It's bad enough buying one overpriced game from GAME, but to buy this many...

Just backs up what I said earlier, these prats can't wait to knock the door down on the store and give Game lots of £5 interest free loans

GAME very occasionally have fantastic deals, but these are nearly always online. Whenever I pass a GAME store, I always go in on the off chance I'll find a bargain...but I never have. The prices in store are a joke. Customer service is awful too.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition63691
    2. Win an unbelievable Windows Mixed Reality prize pack from Windows Central! …22
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines43
    4. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers44

See more discussions