Do this trick to make your PS4 Internet Faster

Found 29th Apr 2017
Go to Setup Network, select either wifi or Lan, do custom, ignore the options apart from DNS, Primary put 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4

or use Google Namebench Utility on windows or mac.. run a 5 minute test and it will give best primary and secondary server to use on your network.

I recently got a big bump in my internet speed by switching provider from 17mb to 100mb, my ps4 internet was bad back then and I just assumed it was my internet being bad so when I got 100mb, I was frustrated when i still have bad connection and the speed test on the ps4 was giving meh speeds, then did this and getting 50MB download (computer gets 100mb)
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
I just painted a white stripe down the middle of my PS4, now it's super fast.
22 Comments
If it's virgin, your upload speed ain't great which is quite important.

Changing your dns to google isnt going to change much. Could stick a static ip on the router and set it in your PS4 settings then place that in dmz but for the very small benefit it's worth it
*not worth it (couldn't edit post)
corrazy

If it's virgin, your upload speed ain't great which is quite important. … If it's virgin, your upload speed ain't great which is quite important. Changing your dns to google isnt going to change much. Could stick a static ip on the router and set it in your PS4 settings then place that in dmz but for the very small benefit it's worth it

Well after doing so went from 17mb down and 1mb up to 50mb down and 3mb up
only way I sorted it was to forget the wireless and ethernet it directly. wireless performance is shocking even with he router next to it.
corrazy

If it's virgin, your upload speed ain't great which is quite important. … If it's virgin, your upload speed ain't great which is quite important. Changing your dns to google isnt going to change much. Could stick a static ip on the router and set it in your PS4 settings then place that in dmz but for the very small benefit it's worth it

Funny you say that, I'm with Virgin and I get 50 down and 18 up
Will try
That makes little difference in my experience. PSN may be slow because of the way it handles packets. They way PSN is set up, it can cause your PS4 to spend more time waiting for the next packet, than it does receiving it.

You may be able to do something about it, with a huge amount of effort and a proxy server. There are incredibly arduous tutorials out there, if you're brave enough to google them X)

Especially if you are using aren't using Pro, using a cable helps.
crazymonkey

​really? I get 200 down and 50 up? Direct Ethernet connection though
I just painted a white stripe down the middle of my PS4, now it's super fast.
whelan189

...ignore the options apart from DNS, Primary put 8.8.8.8 and secondary … ...ignore the options apart from DNS, Primary put 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4...

[ en.wikipedia.org/wik…DNS ]

moneysavingkitten

...You may be able to do something about it, with a huge amount of effort … ...You may be able to do something about it, with a huge amount of effort and a proxy server...

Also use "go faster" Domain Name System service addresses posted on various web sites with care.

You will be rout[e]ing your Internet communications through a third party, including data containing your PlayStation Network log-in credentials (that will, amongst access to other information, supply those third parties with [optionally] stored payment details).
whelan189

...ignore the options apart from DNS, Primary put 8.8.8.8 and secondary … ...ignore the options apart from DNS, Primary put 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4...

moneysavingkitten

...You may be able to do something about it, with a huge amount of … ...You may be able to do something about it, with a huge amount of effort and a proxy server...

No, you won't. It's complicated enough method that you're supposed to set up your own proxy server from scratch.
moneysavingkitten

No, you won't. It's complicated enough method that you're supposed to … No, you won't. It's complicated enough method that you're supposed to set up your own proxy server from scratch.

You'll be telling me next that using public wi-fi connections are safe to use & anybody else cannot read the data you are sending/receiving when you are in a coffee shop, on public transport, or in any hotel offering such a service.
corrazy

This works because a different DNS may resolve to a different CDN, local vs another location.
fanpages

You'll be telling me next that using public wi-fi connections are safe … You'll be telling me next that using public wi-fi connections are safe to use & anybody else cannot read the data you are sending/receiving when you are in a coffee shop, on public transport, or in any hotel offering such a service.

Go on then. Enlighten me as to why it's comparable to using public wi-fi, otherwise this exercise is pointless.
moneysavingkitten

Go on then. Enlighten me as to why it's comparable to using public … Go on then. Enlighten me as to why it's comparable to using public wi-fi, otherwise this exercise is pointless.

It is not comparable... but then I didn't say it was.

(Confused.gif etc.)
crazymonkey

200 down 12 up guess I might need to call them
whelan189

moneysavingkitten

...You may be able to do something about it, with a huge amount of … ...You may be able to do something about it, with a huge amount of effort and a proxy server...

Presumably that kind of data is encrypted and can't be read by 3rd parties. Even on open WiFi networks if you are on a page with https your data should be safe as it's encrypted. Everything can be hacked anyway so you're never 100% safe.
Edited by: "hearts22" 30th Apr 2017
hearts22

Presumably that kind of data is encrypted and can't be read by 3rd … Presumably that kind of data is encrypted and can't be read by 3rd parties. Even on open WiFi networks if you are on a page with https your data should be safe as it's encrypted. Everything can be hacked anyway so you're never 100% safe.

Check the page you are looking at now; is it encrypted?
Relz92

up is not mean't to be that high, virgin sell a package for extra for 200 and 20 up, called the gamer package, aimed at streamers and peopel who upload to internet alot, upload speed does not need to be that high for casual users
whelan189

up is not mean't to be that high, virgin sell a package for extra for 200 … up is not mean't to be that high, virgin sell a package for extra for 200 and 20 up, called the gamer package, aimed at streamers and peopel who upload to internet alot, upload speed does not need to be that high for casual users

I think you're right. I'm on 200mb, wired and rock solid and I never get more than a constant 12 up.
Relz92

No you don't.
zain1

really? I get 200 down and 50 up? Direct Ethernet connection though

crazymonkey

Can you show us your speedtest.net results?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants