Expired

Do treadmills cause knee / joint pains?

Found 29th Mar 2014
basically a friend of mine began to use a treadmill daily for 30 min. she lost a dress size buy began to suffer ftom knee pains- is convinced it was the treadmill. I wondered if this could be true as i am thinking of purchasing a manual treadmill to exercise in the comfort of my home. worth buying?
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
15 Comments
Each person is different but of course it could be the treadmill causing her knees to hurt. Not to say it could effect you the same way. Worth buying? Dependent on how determined you are to get fit.
Argoj

Each person is different but of course it could be the treadmill causing … Each person is different but of course it could be the treadmill causing her knees to hurt. Not to say it could effect you the same way. Worth buying? Dependent on how determined you are to get fit.

very very but dont want to risk knee problem aitheritis already runs in the family! should you wear knee support bandages while working out on the treadmill?
My wife is a serious runner, she says that any type of running can adversely damage your knees (and other joints like hips). A treadmill is about the lowest impact running you can do, so is least likely to cause harm. The best way to avoid injury is to get quality running shoes from a running shop where they can observe your gait and advise what type of shoe is correct for you. Then buy same type from internet for a lot less. The second thing, is to do stretches before and after your run. Warm up and cool down. If it hurts, then back off the intensity of the running program. If it continues see a Sports Physio who come recommended.
I would not consider buying a manual treadmill - take a look at youtube videos to see how unnatural it looks when people run on them.

I would echo the advice about getting your gait checked - near to me there is a New Balance shop and they assessed my gait as well as that of my wife - they also had a very good deal on some high-end shoes which was cheaper than I could have found online, albeit mine are a bit of a crazy colourscheme which goes some way to explain the relatively low price - not that it matters a chuff if I am exercising indoors on my treadmill.

I have issues with my knees - I wear an adjustable neoprene support on my left knee - it helps a lot with stability, but the main thing to consider is that on a treadmill you are always running in effectively one plane on a flat, reliable surface. Just take it easy and don't be lured into going too hard, too quickly.
Stick the treadmill on a slight incline
I do 10k twice a week on the treadmill at my local gym have done for the last year & my knees are ok
People who say treadmills do, don't know what they are talking about. I do 37mins on a treadmill 3 times a week, 3+ years. No problems. Maybe its natural causes. How long has she been using the treadmill for? If its a long time then its highly unlikely that the treadmill will give her knee pains now, if anything it should have gave her knee pains from the start or within weeks.
Better to use the cross trainer
No they cause back pain, as mine folds up and away away, but to move it into position and put it up n down, is not good for my back......but no doubt from behind shows off my builder's bum to great effect !

Quite soft n bouncy on the track....almost trampoliney.....your knees will love you, and buy you flowers and chocolates....probably so that they can get you to spend more time on it
Chumba_Wumba

No they cause back pain, as mine folds up and away away, but to move it … No they cause back pain, as mine folds up and away away, but to move it into position and put it up n down, is not good for my back......but no doubt from behind shows off my builder's bum to great effect ! Quite soft n bouncy on the track....almost trampoliney.....your knees will love you, and buy you flowers and chocolates....probably so that they can get you to spend more time on it

They don't cause no back and pain either, how many young people do you know that say treadmills give back pain? None. Time to face it, your back is not what it use to be.

MR1123

They don't cause no back and pain either, how many young people do you … They don't cause no back and pain either, how many young people do you know that say treadmills give back pain? None. Time to face it, your back is not what it use to be.

.......Ahh the arrogance of youth ! Thankfully I don't know too many young people, which must amaze and shock you.

Because as we all know.....the world is only full of young people of course...and apparently they're all on treadmills.
After a bad accident Jan last year, I blew all my knee ligaments & tore muscles, once over the major reconstruction surgeries and hospital Physio, I was given the okay to buy a motorised treadmill and the first thing my Physio said was to make sure I was wearing the correct trainers/footwear. Any walking for a length of time is impacting on joints. Some people will never have a problem, I personally can't run as it causes shin splints but I can walk on the treadmill. I totally agree with what other members have said and she should go to one of the sports stores where she can get her gait tested and they can recommend the most suitable trainers for her needs & hopefully she should notice a difference. She shouldn't carry on walking on the treadmill at the moment, if she's still getting knee pain. She needs to rest, give the inflammation time to die down, if it doesn't after a rest then maybe a trip to her GP and a referral to a Physio?
I have bad foot pains with my sports shoes.
got them from Amazon. I'm a lady. I think they are called aviva or so at
Used to get knee pains with any sort of running (not just the treadmill) but I went to see a Physio who recommended some exercises. After a couple of weeks of those I rarely get them now! Sometimes it's just about strengthening the different muscles in your body
I've always run on treadmills at an incline. I ran on it flat and this caused a bit of tenderness but then when I started to run at an incline the pain subsided and my legs got a better workout. I can't remember who advised it but it works.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants