Groups

Do u have a Joint account or seperate??

My hubby and me have a joint bank account - everything goes in it and everything comes out of it - mortgage, bills, food etc. Friends and some family members of ours, who are married, have seperate accounts. I don't understand this. what a pain to have to sort out who's paying for wot when etc...
    Besides I don'r earn any money LMAO

Just curious, what others do - are we a minority?

65 Comments

we have a joint account where all our money goes in and bills are paid and then i have a wee account i keep to save in! but the good thing is we all benefit from it at one point!

Me and my OH have seperate accounts too, not married, althouigh live together though so don't know if that would change if we got married, but I do like having my own bank account! Would do a joint savings account!

We have both. The joint account is for everything to do with the home, food, car tax/insurance, and the separate accounts are for clothes and such like.

I don't think it matters if you have a join account or separate ones, so long as you treat the money as 'ours' rather than 'yours and mine'.

Both.

Original Poster

wulshaz;4546164

we have a joint account where all our money goes in and bills are paid … we have a joint account where all our money goes in and bills are paid and then i have a wee account i keep to save in! but the good thing is we all benefit from it at one point!

So u have ur own savings and he has his or that's joint too?

munnski;4546166

Me and my OH have seperate accounts too, not married, althouigh live … Me and my OH have seperate accounts too, not married, althouigh live together though so don't know if that would change if we got married, but I do like having my own bank account! Would do a joint savings account!

Yh, I don't know wot I'd have done if we weren't married I must admit - slightly different I spose

Predikuesi;4546175

We have both. The joint account is for everything to do with the home, … We have both. The joint account is for everything to do with the home, food, car tax/insurance, and the separate accounts are for clothes and such like.

So if u go out for a meal for example - who pays? Do u split it or one of u this time and the other the next time?

Joint account for household expenditure and joint activitites and single accounts for everything else I do and buy for myself.

Its the only way for peace and harmony!

Original Poster

chrishill;4546193

I don't think it matters if you have a join account or separate ones, so … I don't think it matters if you have a join account or separate ones, so long as you treat the money as 'ours' rather than 'yours and mine'.

Well that's how I feel - but then y not just have one account? :?
    Seems like a lot of faffing about imo

Syzable;4546199

Both.

Well that's jst plain greedy:p

hannah19790;4546211

So if u go out for a meal for example - who pays? Do u split it or one of … So if u go out for a meal for example - who pays? Do u split it or one of u this time and the other the next time?

Comes out of the joint account.

Me and my OH have seprate accounts but we treat the money as both of ours.

Original Poster

BlondeBella;4546235

Me and my OH have seprate accounts but we treat the money as both of ours.

So y not just have one account? :?

hannah19790;4546250

So y not just have one account? :?

Cause we dont live together yet, will have when we get a place if that will ever happen:-(

BlondeBella;4546256

Cause we dont live together yet, will have when we get a place if that … Cause we dont live together yet, will have when we get a place if that will ever happen:-(

Our other house will be vacant soon........you can rent that. But it does mean you have to relocate to the other end of the UK. :lol:

Original Poster

BlondeBella;4546256

Cause we dont live together yet, will have when we get a place if that … Cause we dont live together yet, will have when we get a place if that will ever happen:-(

Ah right, well yh that's different - we didn't either before we got married (lived together)
    Aww, u'll get it sorted soon, I'm sure ;-)

Not Tellin

Syzable;4546276

Our other house will be vacant soon........you can rent that. But it does … Our other house will be vacant soon........you can rent that. But it does mean you have to relocate to the other end of the UK. :lol:

Thats very nice of you is this to make you chauffering me around easier :lol:

hannah19790;4546277

Ah right, well yh that's different - we didn't either before we got … Ah right, well yh that's different - we didn't either before we got married (lived together)

:thumbsup:

BlondeBella;4546290

Thats very nice of you is this to make you chauffering me around easier … Thats very nice of you is this to make you chauffering me around easier :lol:

It does make sense. :-D

Original Poster

raptorcigs;4546288

Not Tellin

spoil sport:p

Syzable;4546299

It does make sense. :-D

Ok then, but you will still need to drive me back up to aberdeen mon-fri for my job tho:roll:

joint. however i know someone who has seperate hers is hers and his is his. Dont get that meself.

BlondeBella;4546305

Ok then, but you will still need to drive me back up to aberdeen mon-fri … Ok then, but you will still need to drive me back up to aberdeen mon-fri for my job tho:roll:

Can't i buy you a bike? :w00t:

Syzable;4546326

Can't i buy you a bike? :w00t:

Eh no thats why i hired you lol. I better not be a push bike or i will be dead before i get there:oops:

We have.....

Separate Current accounts
    Separate Savings accounts
    Joint Current Account
    Joint Savings Account

That way we have our own money and the bills are paid fairly......best of both worlds

a joint account and both have individual account. i pay all the bills out of my account and only use the joint account to transfer money to his account because both our accounts are linked to the joint. i also have savings accounts and an isa - well i need to make sure im gong to having money in my old age - lol

cherishu2;4546312

joint. however i know someone who has seperate hers is hers and his is … joint. however i know someone who has seperate hers is hers and his is his. Dont get that meself.

Me too, my ant and her husband do this and he has to check the shopping receipe before he pays for half of it WTF!!

I'm married but we have seperate accounts everything is paid out of my account and I just tell th oh how much I want. I usually have his bank card to to be honest. If we go out to eat or whatever he pays but I tend to cover clothing and such while hoidays are paid for by him

Original Poster

cherishu2;4546312

joint. however i know someone who has seperate hers is hers and his is … joint. however i know someone who has seperate hers is hers and his is his. Dont get that meself.

Same here;-)

Joze;4546342

We have.....Separate Current accountsSeparate Savings accountsJoint … We have.....Separate Current accountsSeparate Savings accountsJoint Current AccountJoint Savings AccountThat way we have our own money and the bills are paid fairly......best of both worlds

sn0ttyang3l;4546343

a joint account and both have individual account. i pay all the bills out … a joint account and both have individual account. i pay all the bills out of my account and only use the joint account to transfer money to his account because both our accounts are linked to the joint. i also have savings accounts and an isa - well i need to make sure im gong to having money in my old age - lol

I'm really sorry, I just really don't understand y u would go to all that bother. Seems like a lot of messing about:?

separate.... because he moans about tax payments bla bla....he comes under self employment bracket so its an issue..i dunno..all i know is i have a credit card he pays off and i have an account which i ask him to top up every so often..i use that for a few direct debits and paying son's school fees, basically when i gotta pay that i get him to give me some money and a lil extra.... child benefit goes in there as well so thats my 'income' as i dont work.

Original Poster

BlondeBella;4546349

Me too, my ant and her husband do this and he has to check the shopping … Me too, my ant and her husband do this and he has to check the shopping receipe before he pays for half of it WTF!!

:shock: ......WTF?? lol

Both for us .......

I'm really sorry, I just really don't understand y u would go to all that bother. Seems like a lot of messing about:?

it's because he doesnt earn enough money to pay the bills and his debts - so i pay money into his account when needed for his use - yeah i'm not too keen on paying all the bills either but when you have to either pay the bills or end up on the streets ...you pay the bills - lol

Original Poster

magicbeans;4546373

separate.... because he moans about tax payments bla bla....he comes … separate.... because he moans about tax payments bla bla....he comes under self employment bracket so its an issue..i dunno..all i know is i have a credit card he pays off and i have an account which i ask him to top up every so often..i use that for a few direct debits and paying son's school fees, basically when i gotta pay that i get him to give me some money and a lil extra.... child benefit goes in there as well so thats my 'income' as i dont work.

Yh I suppose if it's for that kinda reason it makes sense:thumbsup:

Original Poster

sn0ttyang3l;4546389

I'm really sorry, I just really don't understand y u would go to all that … I'm really sorry, I just really don't understand y u would go to all that bother. Seems like a lot of messing about:?it's because he doesnt earn enough money to pay the bills and his debts - so i pay money into his account when needed for his use - yeah i'm not too keen on paying all the bills either but when you have to either pay the bills or end up on the streets ...you pay the bills - lol

Sorry I meant I don't understand y u don't just put ur money and his money in one little pot and take it out from there;-)

I have both, all her money goes in her acount all my money goes into joint account - however she doesnt have access, as I pay for everything.

As soon as finacial year ends (hate this time of year becuase I'm trying to get all my corporation tax back in my account :lol:) it will be 500 in joint account per week, 300 in my savings, and she looks after herself with whatevers taken from her business.

joint on everything we are both totally equal

hannah19790;4546379

:shock: ......WTF?? lol

Yeah and it gets worse than that

mb - even if self employed it works out beneficial - as he can use the income shifting loophole to name you shareholder in the company and he can split the divi's to use up any of your lower tax rate you dont use.

Both + 2 ISA accounts

We have a joint account for bills which both of us put into and then don't touch and then our own accounts for whatever. He isn't as good as managing money as I am so it saves arguments if he goes into an overdraft. It used to drive me nuts so it's a peace and harmony arrangement.

We have a joint account. Both monies go in and all bills etc come out of. The kids have their own separate accounts and my hubby has other accounts relating to his family etc ( he has full responsibility for his mother's finances )
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7271382
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424814502
      3. Get an annual MOT reminder67
      4. Giffgaff New goodybags34

See more discussions