Do utility bills affect credit score?

Posted 14th Jul
If you are regularly late paying bills or dont pay at all. Do they affect your credit score?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Not being funny Op (well I guess I am a bit) did you really need to ask if not paying bills affects your credit score?
13 Comments
Yep really bad for it. Proves you are not likely to pay a loan etc back. Making you a higher risk and less likely to get loan rates
Edited by: "Wadda" 14th Jul
Not being funny Op (well I guess I am a bit) did you really need to ask if not paying bills affects your credit score?
Part of the question is not entirely daft. Not paying at all obviously has an effect, but regular late payments are unlikely to have any effect at all - and by late, I mean payments made after the due date and after a couple of red reminder letters, but before they escalate it to the recovery process. Best to pay as soon as you can, though.
paul_merton14/07/2020 12:56

Part of the question is not entirely daft. Not paying at all obviously has …Part of the question is not entirely daft. Not paying at all obviously has an effect, but regular late payments are unlikely to have any effect at all - and by late, I mean payments made after the due date and after a couple of red reminder letters, but before they escalate it to the recovery process. Best to pay as soon as you can, though.

Late payments still marked though.
paul_merton14/07/2020 13:32

Nope, not for me

A late payment is recorded if a bill is paid after the due date has passed. A missed payment is when you entirely fail to pay a bill. You can get a default after several missed payments - anything from three to six – on your account.

Read more: which.co.uk/mon…1ut - Which?
Ringfinger14/07/2020 13:45

A late payment is recorded if a bill is paid after the due date has …A late payment is recorded if a bill is paid after the due date has passed. A missed payment is when you entirely fail to pay a bill. You can get a default after several missed payments - anything from three to six – on your account.Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/money/mortgages-and-property/mortgages/getting-a-mortgage-with-poor-credit/getting-a-mortgage-with-late-payments-and-defaults-aphpj9n5m1ut - Which?

Thanks, that article confirms my experience - "Paying a bill a couple of days – or even weeks – late may see you escaping a hit your credit score."
eslick14/07/2020 11:58

tinternet is an amazing …tinternet is an amazing thinghttps://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/can-unpaid-utility-bills-appear-on-your-credit-report/

It sure is right...i can come to forums like this and let people find the links for me. Thanks
Ringfinger14/07/2020 13:45

A late payment is recorded if a bill is paid after the due date has …A late payment is recorded if a bill is paid after the due date has passed. A missed payment is when you entirely fail to pay a bill. You can get a default after several missed payments - anything from three to six – on your account.Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/money/mortgages-and-property/mortgages/getting-a-mortgage-with-poor-credit/getting-a-mortgage-with-late-payments-and-defaults-aphpj9n5m1ut - Which?

These sort of comments are hilarious. The customer simply needs to re-acquaint themselves with the terms of supply - the ones agreed at point of service inception & any subsequent amendments.
In general if the customer has not permitted their service provider(s) to perform a credit check then the provider will / should not be reporting the customer's (non)payment performance to any third party organisation.
AndyRoyd14/07/2020 16:42

These sort of comments are hilarious. The customer simply needs to …These sort of comments are hilarious. The customer simply needs to re-acquaint themselves with the terms of supply - the ones agreed at point of service inception & any subsequent amendments. In general if the customer has not permitted their service provider(s) to perform a credit check then the provider will / should not be reporting the customer's (non)payment performance to any third party organisation.

Find me one company that allows you to pay in arrears (as in gas, electric etc where you pay for something you have already used) that doesn't carry out a credit check and have it in their terms or conditions the rights to do so.
Ringfinger14/07/2020 21:43

Find me one company that allows you to pay in arrears (as in gas, electric …Find me one company that allows you to pay in arrears (as in gas, electric etc where you pay for something you have already used) that doesn't carry out a credit check and have it in their terms or conditions the rights to do so.

EDF consumer products (not included in t&c; privacy policy only); Now, although not convinced the option to credit check is included in Now's t&c, Now simply don't ask for permission to CC as they don't CC.
AndyRoyd15/07/2020 03:39

EDF consumer products (not included in t&c; privacy policy only); Now, …EDF consumer products (not included in t&c; privacy policy only); Now, although not convinced the option to credit check is included in Now's t&c, Now simply don't ask for permission to CC as they don't CC.

Wow, apologies. I never realised either of them didn't do a credit check. Most unusual nowadays.
Post a comment
@
    Text