Do we pay the balance for a holiday for end of July?

Posted 18th Apr
Hi all,

Hope you are well and keeping safe at this strange time.

We have booked a family holiday to Spain with Jet2 holidays for end of July. I have received an email asking for the balance of the holiday to be paid by 15 May, we have already paid £180 deposit last year. But given the current situation, we are very reluctant to go even in July as I really don't think that this virus is going to calm down, and we got a young child with us. Likelihood is that the holiday might go ahead, I would rather loose the deposit than the whole amount. Jet2 holidays have cancelled all their holidays until mid June for now. If holiday is cancelled, yes we would get the money back, but if it goes ahead and we don't go loose the whole lot.

What you guys think. Keep safe and best wishes.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
You definitely won't be going anywhere in July so pay the balance then you will be entitled to a refund or credit note in July . Otherwise, you will forfeit the deposit.
It may be unlikely that you are going BUT if you don't pay the remainder you will lose the holiday deposit anyway so you have nothing to loose by paying the full amount and if it does get cancelled you will get your full amount back I did hear something yesterday about not booking holidays abroad for this year, so that would be a good indication that it will more than likely be cancelled. A hard one I know but the choice to pay the remainder is down to you hope that helps
62 Comments
It may be unlikely that you are going BUT if you don't pay the remainder you will lose the holiday deposit anyway so you have nothing to loose by paying the full amount and if it does get cancelled you will get your full amount back I did hear something yesterday about not booking holidays abroad for this year, so that would be a good indication that it will more than likely be cancelled. A hard one I know but the choice to pay the remainder is down to you hope that helps
You definitely won't be going anywhere in July so pay the balance then you will be entitled to a refund or credit note in July . Otherwise, you will forfeit the deposit.
The foreign office advices is against travel indefinitely and yesterday the government said not to book summer holidays. Problem you have is you have a contract and if you don’t keep up your side of it you could lose your deposit. Try calling jet2 and asking if they will refund given the governments advice.
If it was me I’d take the £180 hit.
While that would sting, we have no idea where travel companies will be in 6+ weeks time.

Ask yourself, do you need the cash to keep you afloat? If you pay in full and they fold. Can you wait till you get a refund via credit card or insurance, do you even have insurance?

While if they cancel you get the whole lot back. It’s possible they could struggle and offer deferred holiday options instead...would you want that?
I’m in the same position but it’s a holiday in the Isle of Wight. It wasn’t cheap though. They will start asking me for full balance at the end of the month and I don’t know what to do. I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t go even if restrictions lifted, so thinking maybe just lose deposit.
Edited by: "Annabelle2406" 18th Apr
I’m in the same position. Paid £150 deposit for a holiday with BA for the end of July to California.

I’m of the view the US will still be shut, but even if it’s not I don’t really want to go right now anyway. So I’m not going to pay the remaining balance knowing I’ll lose £150.

At the end of the day £150 is not fun to lose but a lot better than £3500 and the hassle of rebooking etc.

I’m also concerned if they offer the chance to rebook what timescale they will apply to do this. I need to go during school holiday periods so may not have the flexibility if they only put a short rebooking window in place.
I was just lose the deposit especially if your having doubts about the holiday if it was to go ahead...also wouldn’t want the stress if the holiday is fully paid and then cancelled and trying to retrieve your money back which would be a long slow process and too much of a headache...my mum has had two holidays cancelled on her and doesn’t seem to be much further forward trying to get refunds for both...just a lot of phone calls on hold...frustration and out of pocket...personally I would rather lose the deposit as health is more important for your family in this crisis(y)
I had same issue, I lost 240 deposit then 2 days later my holiday was cancelled. Called jet2 but as they said I cancelled my holiday rather than them it's tough luck and I lost my deposit.
Insurance ......?
ccnp18/04/2020 08:45

Insurance ......?

How would that work if government say you can travel, but you decide you would rather not risk it.
Edited by: "Annabelle2406" 18th Apr
Op, most people already have stated your options and it's crap choice it really is.... However a fair few travel companies are offering to delay the holiday until next year with a 20% bonus too etc, have you searched for an appropriate holiday with the same company next year you could swap to, that keeps them running and your deposit intact, it's fair solution for these times imho
Edited by: "nopartylikeansclubparty" 18th Apr
Don't pay....lose the deposit... Jet2 have taken off the refund button off they site..... You'll Just get to pick a alternative date..... There going against EU rules for refunds.... To survive...n
My wife and daughter had flights to Spain booked for early April with Ryanair. As flights were cancelled she was offered either to change it or a refund.

I suggested she got the refund as who knows how long this situation will be for or what might happen the Ryanair in the meantine.

We requested the refund in March and still waiting for it - there's another thread on here suggesting that it's in the news that they won't refund until all back to normal.

So based on my experience I think I would rather lose the deposit and not have tons of hassle trying to get all the money back.
I can't understand what's behind people's thought process in saying just lose the deposit. Why not just pay the balance and let the holiday company cancel and refund simple, no money lost It may take a bit to get the money back as there will be 1000s that are in the same situation. But biting the bullet to soon is foolish
cliosport6518/04/2020 08:52

I can't understand what's behind people's thought process in saying just …I can't understand what's behind people's thought process in saying just lose the deposit. Why not just pay the balance and let the holiday company cancel and refund simple, no money lost It may take a bit to get the money back as there will be 1000s that are in the same situation. But biting the bullet to soon is foolish

Because if the holiday isn't cancelled and some things open up, they will maybe have to go on a stressed out holiday, when half the bars and shops are shut and deserted, it wouldn't be a great holiday either, it's a crap situation either way the only choice people have to make is which is the least worst option for them...
Annabelle240618/04/2020 08:18

I’m in the same position but it’s a holiday in the Isle of Wight. It was …I’m in the same position but it’s a holiday in the Isle of Wight. It wasn’t cheap though. They will start asking me for full balance at the end of the month and I don’t know what to do. I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t go even if restrictions lifted, so thinking maybe just lose deposit.

Why wouldn't you go if the restrictions are lifted unlikely to be lifted anytime in the next coming months and most business will be phased back in with places of mass gatherings been left until last
Martin Lewis covered this topic on his show. Watch it on ITV hub on demand.
Cause when lockdown gets lifted holidays Will be cheap as chips.... Business Will want everyone's money's.... The deposit means nothing . They can't or won't honour the refund now (most of them) it's about business carrying on ... Without going under.... Restrictions Will be in place for months and months...
Swfcs618/04/2020 08:52

Don't pay....lose the deposit... Jet2 have taken off the refund button off …Don't pay....lose the deposit... Jet2 have taken off the refund button off they site..... You'll Just get to pick a alternative date..... There going against EU rules for refunds.... To survive...n

wawaw
nopartylikeansclubparty18/04/2020 08:56

Because if the holiday isn't cancelled and some things open up, they will …Because if the holiday isn't cancelled and some things open up, they will maybe have to go on a stressed out holiday, when half the bars and shops are shut and deserted, it wouldn't be a great holiday either, it's a crap situation either way the only choice people have to make is which is the least worst option for them...

I don't think holidays will just come back like that there will be a phased return as they are mass gathering, and as for bars and shops some may never return there will be a lot of change that happens from this as well.
cliosport6518/04/2020 08:57

Why wouldn't you go if the restrictions are lifted Why wouldn't you go if the restrictions are lifted unlikely to be lifted anytime in the next coming months and most business will be phased back in with places of mass gatherings been left until last

Because it’s likely they’ll be no restaurants/pubs etc open at that point. Who wants to go on holiday if you can’t even eat out? What is the point of a holiday if you can’t even relax a little.
You’ve said yourself you’d rather lose the deposit than go so I think you’ve answered your own question but perhaps seeking some reassurance. The bottom line of it is the end of July is still over 3 months away, nobody can say what the situation will be by then. Should this situation be further prolonged the U.K. may follow suit of several other EU countries who’ve already temporarily changed their laws and are no longer offering refunds within the tourism industry to prevent it from collapsing. ABTA have already recommended the U.K. put the same provisions in place so I think by July it’s extremely unlikely you’ll be getting a refund for a holiday you can’t go on and would only be offered a credit note.
ChelseaRae18/04/2020 09:01

You’ve said yourself you’d rather lose the deposit than go so I think you …You’ve said yourself you’d rather lose the deposit than go so I think you’ve answered your own question but perhaps seeking some reassurance. The bottom line of it is the end of July is still over 3 months away, nobody can say what the situation will be by then. Should this situation be further prolonged the U.K. may follow suit of several other EU countries who’ve already temporarily changed their laws and are no longer offering refunds within the tourism industry to prevent it from collapsing. ABTA have already recommended the U.K. put the same provisions in place so I think by July it’s extremely unlikely you’ll be getting a refund for a holiday you can’t go on and would only be offered a credit note.

If the holiday was booked prior to the covid 19 situation then they ARE NOT able to just offer a credit note and HAVE to offer a full refund as an option as well
Annabelle240618/04/2020 09:00

Because it’s likely they’ll be no restaurants/pubs etc open at that point. …Because it’s likely they’ll be no restaurants/pubs etc open at that point. Who wants to go on holiday if you can’t even eat out? What is the point of a holiday if you can’t even relax a little.

I think that restaurants and pubs as we know it will be a lot different going forward
cliosport6518/04/2020 09:03

If the holiday was booked prior to the covid 19 situation then they ARE …If the holiday was booked prior to the covid 19 situation then they ARE NOT able to just offer a credit note and HAVE to offer a full refund as an option as well

For now yes, but as I said we cannot predict ahead for over 3 months time and if the U.K. follow recommendations and suit of other EU countries this may no longer be the case. Nobody can guarantee the OP they will get a refund should they pay the full balance so I wouldn’t blindly mislead someone into believing that.
Edited by: "ChelseaRae" 18th Apr
ChelseaRae18/04/2020 09:09

For now yes, but as I said we cannot predict ahead for over 3 months time …For now yes, but as I said we cannot predict ahead for over 3 months time and if the U.K. follow recommendations and suit of other EU countries this may no longer be the case. Nobody can guarantee the OP they will get a refund should they pay the full balance so I wouldn’t blindly mislead someone into believing that.

If that's the case everything goes back to normal as you say then win win, why lose the deposit. I don't think that's going to happen do you
I am in same boat but if they offer you credit note and they go bust you nothing!
eelvis18/04/2020 09:20

I am in same boat but if they offer you credit note and they go bust you …I am in same boat but if they offer you credit note and they go bust you nothing!

If you mean they go bust you get nothing, I believe that to be incorrect, the refund credit notice is backed up by atol and will be refunded.

independent.co.uk/tra…tml
2 weeks ago I asked why travel companies didn't offer the swap to the same holiday exactly a year later (+ or - 3 days) even my own travel company rejected this idea and wanted to charge me an extra £200 for the priveledge as they had increased the prices so I had no option but to get a full refund off them, which is what they don't want :/ , now they have decided to implent it .

So I came up with another fair solution yesterday, make these refund credit notes usable with any tour company, that way it keep the competition going...

Give it 2 weeks and they might take notice
I was in the same situation I just payed the rest of my of my holiday last night so if it gets cancelled I get all the money back. Due to fly on 21 July so I think it will be cancelled
If you have insurance, ask them. Likely they’ll tell you
to pay then if the FCO advice continues over your holiday dates, Jet2 may offer a refund or rebooking option for another time. If the options Jet2 give are unsuitable, your insurer should then pay out for the full amount you paid Jet2 minus the excess for trip cancellation.

If FCO remove advice not to travel then you won’t get anything back from the insurer if you choose not to go. Jet2 may provide an option subject to their terms and it’d be up to their discretion.

If any part of your holiday is cancelled by the provider/Jet2, they MUST refund you. Many providers trying to fob customers off with rebooking or gift vouchers but do not accept this. Worst case claim from credit card provider under section 75 as they have failed to provide what you paid for - but you must pay as per their demand to keep your side of the contract.

Insurance excess would be anywhere from £50-150 usually so it may not be worth your time and hassle If you really don’t want to go now.
Edited by: "Sam223" 18th Apr
Oneday7718/04/2020 08:12

If it was me I’d take the £180 hit. While that would sting, we have no id …If it was me I’d take the £180 hit. While that would sting, we have no idea where travel companies will be in 6+ weeks time. Ask yourself, do you need the cash to keep you afloat? If you pay in full and they fold. Can you wait till you get a refund via credit card or insurance, do you even have insurance? While if they cancel you get the whole lot back. It’s possible they could struggle and offer deferred holiday options instead...would you want that?

They're atol protected so you would get refunded eventually if they folded etc.
.MUFC.18/04/2020 10:21

They're atol protected so you would get refunded eventually if they folded …They're atol protected so you would get refunded eventually if they folded etc.

They would. Though as I asked, can they afford to wait? What if the holiday isn’t cancelled but they don’t fancy going? America for instance, is making every other countries response look like it couldn’t possibly be better. Is that worth the risk, even if they do re-open?
ChelseaRae18/04/2020 09:09

For now yes, but as I said we cannot predict ahead for over 3 months time …For now yes, but as I said we cannot predict ahead for over 3 months time and if the U.K. follow recommendations and suit of other EU countries this may no longer be the case. Nobody can guarantee the OP they will get a refund should they pay the full balance so I wouldn’t blindly mislead someone into believing that.

You can't change a contract halfway through without your agreement. I don't see how they could refuse to refund as it would be a breach of contract etc.
Just ring them up ask them to put the balance payment date back a couple of weeks then make a decision, the fact that the FCO advice for travel is Indefinitely doesn’t help matters
Edited by: "rwf3820" 18th Apr
Would standard insurance cover any body for overseas travel after covid crisis or would you need extra cover?
paul100518/04/2020 08:23

I’m in the same position. Paid £150 deposit for a holiday with BA for the e …I’m in the same position. Paid £150 deposit for a holiday with BA for the end of July to California.I’m of the view the US will still be shut, but even if it’s not I don’t really want to go right now anyway. So I’m not going to pay the remaining balance knowing I’ll lose £150. At the end of the day £150 is not fun to lose but a lot better than £3500 and the hassle of rebooking etc.I’m also concerned if they offer the chance to rebook what timescale they will apply to do this. I need to go during school holiday periods so may not have the flexibility if they only put a short rebooking window in place.

I was due to pay a balance last Thursday for a BA holiday to Las Vegas on 21 May, the previous week I had an email from them stating the flight had been cancelled. I rang the BA customer services number and told them I wasn’t interested in an amended date or voucher, only a refund back to my original credit card. They didn’t quibble and refunded the £300 deposit 3 days later. Wait for the cancellation email before making any rash decisions. Refunds are being given. This is part of an email I received from the CEO, it mentions the word REFUND.

40451745-ZsP1q.jpg
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 18th Apr
Thanks toptrumpet. I have about 6 weeks till the balance is due so will hold out and hope to get the cancellation email soon.
Oneday7718/04/2020 10:34

They would. Though as I asked, can they afford to wait? What if the …They would. Though as I asked, can they afford to wait? What if the holiday isn’t cancelled but they don’t fancy going? America for instance, is making every other countries response look like it couldn’t possibly be better. Is that worth the risk, even if they do re-open?

I guess it depends on how much the money is worth to them etc. Me personally I'd probably look to change dates if I could and use the deposit on another holiday if they'd let me.

I've got an holiday in May booked with onthebeach, It's free for me to change the dates of the flights and if I search for the hotel it's about £70 more than I paid. I asked them how much to change and they wanted £210 to change over. They're really not helping themselves. I'd have been willing to pay a little more but admin fees are ridiculous. I'll let them cancel it and refund me or maybe cancel the hotel and I'll rearrange flights and book hotel separately at another time.
eelvis18/04/2020 10:39

Would standard insurance cover any body for overseas travel after covid …Would standard insurance cover any body for overseas travel after covid crisis or would you need extra cover?

No, most don't cover for pandemics, especially the ones booked after around 13th March. My insurance does but I had purchased insurance back in November as soon as I booked it etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions