Do Wi-Fi mesh systems work with sky q multiscreen?

Posted 8th Jun 2020
I was looking to get a WiFi mesh system as my virgin ss3 is really bad, but I’ve been told my sky engineers that this will affect my sky q multiscreen. Has anyone been able to get a WiFi mesh system that works with sky q multiscreen?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Sky Q is a mesh network already, that's why the engineer said it wouldn't work. Each Sky Q box gives off it's own meshed Wifi network.
    Author
    rob511008/06/2020 15:16

Sky Q is a mesh network already, that's why the engineer said it wouldn't …Sky Q is a mesh network already, that's why the engineer said it wouldn't work. Each Sky Q box gives off it's own meshed Wifi network.

The sky q box mesh system only works with sky q WiFi not any other provider.
    You can use a mesh system with sky multi screen. I too have Virgin and the Superhub 3 is a pile of ****. Purchased the TP Link Deco M4’s and haven’t looked back since.

The main SkY Q box connects to your router to allow for internet. It then has its own mesh system with the mini boxes. The mini boxes use internet through this mesh system so if your main sky q box doesn’t have an internet connection nor will they.

My Sky Q box is connected to one of the TP link hubs via Ethernet and has been fine, the mini boxes have had no issues.
    sukhi_singh_108/06/2020 17:07

You can use a mesh system with sky multi screen. I too have Virgin and the …You can use a mesh system with sky multi screen. I too have Virgin and the Superhub 3 is a pile of ****. Purchased the TP Link Deco M4’s and haven’t looked back since.The main SkY Q box connects to your router to allow for internet. It then has its own mesh system with the mini boxes. The mini boxes use internet through this mesh system so if your main sky q box doesn’t have an internet connection nor will they. My Sky Q box is connected to one of the TP link hubs via Ethernet and has been fine, the mini boxes have had no issues.

You’ve been lucky - works in router mode but I prefer access point, at which stage Sky Q loses all internet functionality (downloads, voice search etc). Even TP link staff told me it doesn’t work with Sky Q. Spent hours faffing about with it the last few days.
    Ikhlaas08/06/2020 17:03

I have 350mb to but only get around 200 upstairs

On Virgin i pay for 200 and get about 225 wired to PC.
    If i stand next to the Super LOL Hub at one foot away, then i get 40-50 wireless. Shocking really.

+1 for the Virgin Super(lol) Hub as a pile of steaming ****.

I am currently looking at a Mesh system and will give these a look.Thanks
    Ikhlaas08/06/2020 17:12

Thanks for that do u get full speed around you’re house?

I’m on 200mb on 5ghz I get about 140mb around the house but there are some weak spots still where I will get only 30-40mb but that’s ok I can live with that. If right next to the one connected to the router I will get 200mb.

I have placed the routers in rooms where it’s going to be used basically. Back of the house nobody goes so it’s fine. All good from me
    I got the google nest and point a few weeks ago. Hasn’t affected my multi room boxes.
    Author
    marshy5108/06/2020 15:14

I got the google nest and point a few weeks ago. Hasn’t affected my m …I got the google nest and point a few weeks ago. Hasn’t affected my multi room boxes.

I was thinking about getting google nest but it only has one Ethernet port which isn’t good enough
    Ikhlaas08/06/2020 15:37

I was thinking about getting google nest but it only has one Ethernet port …I was thinking about getting google nest but it only has one Ethernet port which isn’t good enough

Yeah. Iv got my Ethernet going to tv and sky box etc. And then a switch in the other port for other wired stuff, hive and Phillips hue etc
    Ikhlaas08/06/2020 15:37

I was thinking about getting google nest but it only has one Ethernet port …I was thinking about getting google nest but it only has one Ethernet port which isn’t good enough

Can’t fault the google nest. Pay for 350 on virgin and constantly get 380 wireless
    Author
    marshy5108/06/2020 16:37

Yeah. Iv got my Ethernet going to tv and sky box etc. And then a switch in …Yeah. Iv got my Ethernet going to tv and sky box etc. And then a switch in the other port for other wired stuff, hive and Phillips hue etc

Fair enough I don’t have room for an external Ethernet switch so I wanted a mesh system which had 4 Ethernet ports
    Author
    marshy5108/06/2020 16:39

Can’t fault the google nest. Pay for 350 on virgin and constantly get 380 …Can’t fault the google nest. Pay for 350 on virgin and constantly get 380 wireless

I have 350mb to but only get around 200 upstairs
    Author

You can use a mesh system with sky multi screen. I too have Virgin and the …You can use a mesh system with sky multi screen. I too have Virgin and the Superhub 3 is a pile of ****. Purchased the TP Link Deco M4’s and haven’t looked back since.The main SkY Q box connects to your router to allow for internet. It then has its own mesh system with the mini boxes. The mini boxes use internet through this mesh system so if your main sky q box doesn’t have an internet connection nor will they. My Sky Q box is connected to one of the TP link hubs via Ethernet and has been fine, the mini boxes have had no issues.

Thanks for that do u get full speed around you’re house?

+1 for the Virgin Super(lol) Hub as a pile of steaming ****.

I am currently looking at a Mesh system and will give these a look.Thanks
    Ianaf7208/06/2020 19:23

You’ve been lucky - works in router mode but I prefer access point, at w …You’ve been lucky - works in router mode but I prefer access point, at which stage Sky Q loses all internet functionality (downloads, voice search etc). Even TP link staff told me it doesn’t work with Sky Q. Spent hours faffing about with it the last few days.

Yeeee I use the tp links in router mode. Ah that is strange not sure what that would be. Can’t you use them in router mode?
    Author
    sukhi_singh_108/06/2020 20:24

I’m on 200mb on 5ghz I get about 140mb around the house but there are … I’m on 200mb on 5ghz I get about 140mb around the house but there are some weak spots still where I will get only 30-40mb but that’s ok I can live with that. If right next to the one connected to the router I will get 200mb. I have placed the routers in rooms where it’s going to be used basically. Back of the house nobody goes so it’s fine. All good from me

That’s good then thanks
    sukhi_singh_108/06/2020 20:21

Yeeee I use the tp links in router mode. Ah that is strange not sure what …Yeeee I use the tp links in router mode. Ah that is strange not sure what that would be. Can’t you use them in router mode?

Yep, they only work in router mode. Access mode seemed more stable and quicker speeds, b7t I can’t be bothered having to reboot the routers every time I want to download a programme
's avatar
Top Merchants