Do you and if so how much do you tip your Food Delivery Driver?

Found 29th Jun 2013
In my 4th week of being a delivery driver for a chinese restaurant on the weekends and earn £4.15 per hour then tips make it up. I in no way feel people should be obligated to tip but what difference is 20p on a £39.80 delivery when I've got to pay for petrol,tax,ins etc.
I was just wondering if YOU tip your delivery driver and if so how much?
Community Updates
MiscFood
58 Comments
What are you delivering.
Edited by: "aircanman" 29th Jun 2013
i just round it to the nearest pound unless i pay by card,
aircanman

What are you delivering.

chinese food
£1.37
Tipping has got out of hand
Round up to nearest £5 or £10 depending how drunk I am.
Everyone has a hard job so I don't see why only some particular lines of work should receive tips.
I just started as a delivery driver for Pizza Hut. I've made about £4 from 25 deliveries so far. Those have come from 3 different people but I don't deliver in the most affluent of areas.

I personally don't tip drivers when I get a pizza so I don't expect people to do the same for me.
Make friends with some Chinese people it's far cheaper. Can't remember the last time I order in Chinese food. I've ordered a few times to pick up on the way home so don't tip.

My local does Papa Johns does pizza Mon-Thu for £8.99 delivered but I give the driver £10. So I guess I tip £1.01.
personally I don't tip because of the mark up on food anyway, I mean charging up to £15 on a large pizza at certain places is just ridiculous!
i would round up to the pound
Do you think some people tip the Tesco groceries delivery people?
Why is it the norm to tip one delivery driver (pizza/food) but not a parcel delivery driver? both are using their own vehicles (unless its a branded company van), petrol (neither has got the correct insurance/liabilty and probably risking it) and getting very low wages.
i'd get onto dwp....£4.15 is way below the minimum wage.....your'e getting ripped off by your lovely employer.
splatsplatsplat

Why is it the norm to tip one delivery driver (pizza/food) but not a … Why is it the norm to tip one delivery driver (pizza/food) but not a parcel delivery driver? both are using their own vehicles (unless its a branded company van), petrol (neither has got the correct insurance/liabilty and probably risking it) and getting very low wages.

I think it's to stop them doing something unspeakable to your food next time
We ordered a nice chinese delivery for lunch today but we didn't tip the driver, as we already paid £1 card fee and £1 delivery fee via Hungry House, so effectively, we paid £2 more than our order.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/f57b0d94ce4e855c44891a68b21abe20/tumblr_mezp5p6vZm1ryw9z1o1_500.gif

Click It!
you earn £4.15 per hour and have to pay for your own petrol and your increased insurance as you have to declare your car is now being used for business purposes?

surely, thats illegal oO
Edited by: "csiman" 29th Jun 2013
Business insurance is only (say) £20-30 more
squillion

Do you think some people tip the Tesco groceries delivery people?

yup they do
csiman

you earn £4.15 per hour and have to pay for your own petrol and your … you earn £4.15 per hour and have to pay for your own petrol and your increased insurance as you have to declare your car is now being used for business purposes?surely, thats illegal oO

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/lol/grand/Jack-Nicholson-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1658.gif
id say if you want decent money get a new job
moejoejoejoex

In my 4th week of being a delivery driver for a chinese restaurant on the … In my 4th week of being a delivery driver for a chinese restaurant on the weekends and earn £4.15 per hour then tips make it up.

If you're only getting paid £4.15, I'd quit tbh.

Get onto Jobseeker's allowance for the time being and start applying for jobs everyday, won't be long before you find a similar job. You're working for basically nothing. Your financial situation isn't going to change if keep working for them. This isn't Foxconn, that kind of stuff isn't acceptable here.
They don't even give us a free meal! We have to pay for it! And I have to work as a waiter in the the front when I'm not delivering.
whatsThePoint

allowing for depreciation/fuel etc etc it costs at least 50p a mile to … allowing for depreciation/fuel etc etc it costs at least 50p a mile to run a car, so in real terms the op is working for a free meal at the end of the shift as best

moejoejoejoex

In my 4th week of being a delivery driver for a chinese restaurant on … In my 4th week of being a delivery driver for a chinese restaurant on the weekends and earn £4.15 per hour then tips make it up.

I'm only 17 so I guessit's above minimum wage, it'sonlypart time for fri/sat/sun
whatsThePoint

as the op doesn't seem to have got insurance to cover them as a delivery … as the op doesn't seem to have got insurance to cover them as a delivery driver yet, whats the betting they get paid cash in hand and are also still claiming benefits as well

The bet is 0 because I'm 17 and in full time education, how do you suggest I claim benefits? Of course it's cash in hand!
csiman

you earn £4.15 per hour and have to pay for your own petrol and your … you earn £4.15 per hour and have to pay for your own petrol and your increased insurance as you have to declare your car is now being used for business purposes?surely, thats illegal oO

No, I'm only 17 so the min wage is 3.68 and I guess I'm expected to make it up on tips.
KM4353

If you're only getting paid £4.15, I'd quit tbh.Get onto Jobseeker's … If you're only getting paid £4.15, I'd quit tbh.Get onto Jobseeker's allowance for the time being and start applying for jobs everyday, won't be long before you find a similar job. You're working for basically nothing. Your financial situation isn't going to change if keep working for them. This isn't Foxconn, that kind of stuff isn't acceptable here.

Totally unjustified cheap jab at Foxconn there. Get your facts straight.
carol26262626

i'd get onto dwp....£4.15 is way below the minimum wage.....your'e … i'd get onto dwp....£4.15 is way below the minimum wage.....your'e getting ripped off by your lovely employer.

I'm 17 so it's above the min wage of 3.68
moejoejoejoex

The bet is 0 because I'm 17 and in full time education, how do you … The bet is 0 because I'm 17 and in full time education, how do you suggest I claim benefits? Of course it's cash in hand!

you do realise thats a criminal offence if you dont declare it?

you wont have insurance either if you havent told your insurance company
csiman

you do realise thats a criminal offence if you dont declare it?you wont … you do realise thats a criminal offence if you dont declare it?you wont have insurance either if you havent told your insurance company

Are you a policeman? I'm never going to hit my personal allowance of 8k so I haven't got round to declaring it. I am insured on their business policy I think.
moejoejoejoex

Are you a policeman? I'm never going to hit my personal allowance of 8k … Are you a policeman? I'm never going to hit my personal allowance of 8k so I haven't got round to declaring it. I am insured on their business policy I think.

lol at them paying on their insurance for a 17 year old

are you that gullible?
Only take away i have that's delivered is Domino's which i for online, i don't tip the driver. Don't see why i should when a pizza costs like £15 plus whatever extra's i order.
moejoejoejoex

I'm 17 so it's above the min wage of 3.68

if your only 17, and getting paid cash in hand, it is people like you that put the genuine people in need of a job on the dole...your boss is paying peanuts....cash in hand...instead of a decent wage...because he thinks he can get away with it. and he won't be declaring the extra income he makes either.
have you checked with the insurance company you're with, that at 17 you are allowed to use your vehicle as a delivery vehicle...you haven't really got a lot of driving experience yet.....if you don't watch it...you could get pulled by the police and lose your licence & vehicle, you are only allowed 6 points in the first 2 years, you would lose them straight away if insurance is invalid.
csiman

you do realise thats a criminal offence if you dont declare it?you wont … you do realise thats a criminal offence if you dont declare it?you wont have insurance either if you havent told your insurance company

Deja vous hotukdeals.com/mis…626

OP, good on you for working btw but you need to sort out the car insurance or get another job, or even tell them you want a job as a waiter instead of delivery driver - that way you won't have to pay for the car/petrol etc either.

I pay by creditcard (justeat) so don't tip.
Usually £2/£3
carol26262626

it is people like you that put the genuine people in need of a job on the … it is people like you that put the genuine people in need of a job on the dole...

What a silly comment. If this guy wasn't working, even cash in hand, then he'd just end up on the dole too. And hes getting paid more than minimum wage for his age too.
I often give them tips,

Next week be on time
Don't forget the prawn crackers in future
Stop fiddling around on my doorstep........
Edited by: "transit" 29th Jun 2013
I'm amazed you are paid so low and have to pay your own insurance as well etc. shouldn't be allowed.
If the guy is on time I give them a quid, if its late nothing...
It's the restaurant making the money not the driver, I am happy to pay a bit extra so that I can have a few beers without having to worry about driving.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants