Do you dislike when people waste food?

Found 3rd JunEdited by:"SOUTHWALES"
I have a family member that continuously wastes food, she constantly allows her children to leave meals and then just chucks the food in the bin, a few days ago we spent the day together, as a treat why out we got a chip shop meal, she gets her children chips gravy and sausage, one child eats the sausage and 2 chips the other one bite of the sausage and about several chips, the remainder goes straight into the bin, but they soon had no problem a few mins later eating an ice cream, when we are at there house it's just the same, she will cook them a meal, for example a chicken Curry, they may decide to just pick out the chicken pieces and the remainder again goes into the bin, the children then are allowed to go into the cupboard and help themselves to crisps or a chocolate bar. I would not mind if it was now and again but it appears to be every meal, her cupboards are full of high sugar foods and treats but to be fair the children are not over weight and look healthy. I do feel they may pay the price for there poor diet later on in life.

I did once mention that she buys her children to many sweets and the answer I got abruptly was "they are children and children eat sweets".

I personally hate seeing food getting wasted when there are so many people in the world going without food, my children have always been told they have to eat all there meals unless it is something they genuinely do not like.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I'm with you totally. It may be the parents choice, but they are doing the children no favours at all. It is a ticking bomb. Eventually the child will suffer in some way or another.
I expect I will get lambasted by some people on here saying 'it's the parents choice', 'mind your own business)' etc, but if people take that attitude they make the conscious decision that children are property for adults to do as they will with. As adults we must make decisions for children whilst at the same time educating them, so as to give them the best opportunity for the future.
And that's without touching on the food waste issue.
All humans should eat as much as possible.

So we're nice and fat for when the Aliens come back to harvest us.
40 Comments
Get her to save the left overs for you?
I'm with you totally. It may be the parents choice, but they are doing the children no favours at all. It is a ticking bomb. Eventually the child will suffer in some way or another.
I expect I will get lambasted by some people on here saying 'it's the parents choice', 'mind your own business)' etc, but if people take that attitude they make the conscious decision that children are property for adults to do as they will with. As adults we must make decisions for children whilst at the same time educating them, so as to give them the best opportunity for the future.
And that's without touching on the food waste issue.
Could be a number of things. Maybe she was brought up in an environment where you had to sit at the table till you ate everything on your plate. She didn't get many treats when she was younger and feels that she wants her children to have what she didn't. She doesn't want the confrontation trying to get her children to finish their meals.

Some children just don't have big appetites though so it can be hard to get them to eat when they don't want to.
All humans should eat as much as possible.

So we're nice and fat for when the Aliens come back to harvest us.
Nope you are right, this diet will do no harm as kids but it's very hard to switch when your an adult . This sort of parenting leads to adults who can only eat chicken nuggets and chips, or plain pasta, I'm sure the parent is justt not well informed and maybe needs to watch some programs about it, I recall there being some covering this subject
Perhaps mind your own business?
That’s awful. I’d inform social services and cut off all ties. I wouldn’t want them anywhere close to my kids.
tempt3 h, 51 m ago

That’s awful. I’d inform social services and cut off all ties. I wouldn’t w …That’s awful. I’d inform social services and cut off all ties. I wouldn’t want them anywhere close to my kids.

Social services my ***, get a grip, its a parenting issue not a child issue
Edited by moderator: "potty mouth" 3rd Jun
You’ve just got to let her get on with it, if she thinks you're criticising her then your friendship will suffer. She’ll soon get fed up of wasting her time preparing meals that go uneaten.
From my understanding, kids should be allowed to eat as much or little as they want, I was brought up to clear my plate, and I think this has led to a generation of obesity, I hate leaving food on my plate but that's just conditioning from a young age.

My son will leave food on his plate and that's fine, but then he will not stop eating, and we know that when he does he's going through a growth spurt.

When they eat less I just cook less, and make sure they have fruit if they want a little extra not crisps or sweets.

Take a look at your childhood, were you made to clear your plate? Or was food scarce?
Edited by: "bluetba" 3rd Jun
Save your breath, this is a lost cause.
I hate wasting food myself as I think of all those people around the world who have no food and here we are throwing food away. However, it is not good to force yourself to finish the food in front of you just because you don't like the idea of wasting food so I do throw away food if I feel full and there is still food left on the plate or the table. This tends to happen when we are having a meal at friends as they may put too much on my plate or when we are out in a restaurant and the portion is too much for me.

I sometimes throw food out at home as I have overestimated how much I needed and feel too full. Eating when you are already full will have consequence on your weight, which is no good either and encouraging children to finish the food on their plate can lead to obesity in later life. They should eat what they need and no more. If they continue to leave food on their plates, then you should reduce the portion.

I have never been a big eater and my mum used to always try to encourage me to eat more as a child but I don't really agree with this thinking. Eat what you need and no more.
Think you have too much time on your hands if your worried about how your family member spends their money.

I hate it when car drivers dont use indercators, or when customers talk to me like dirt in work,
or when i see people smoking when pregnant, or grown men walking down the streets with their hands down the trousers.

Ive seen people really shout at their children and i thought wow harsh.

But its not my business they can do what they
like just like your family member can do what they like with their money if thats food waste or not.
One of the things I've learned in life is you should never try and tell other parents how to bring up their kids....even if you know you are right other parents need to learn themselves.

forget about it and move on.
I hate it!!! Going to buffets an people pile there plate high an waste half it and then go up for more! Instead of a few small portions of what you fancy like. Chinese by us charge if you waste they should all do it!!
She could get just the one meal ie chips and sausage and ask both kids to share like I do as kids eat very less
ASongOfFireAndIce3rd Jun

I hate it!!! Going to buffets an people pile there plate high an waste …I hate it!!! Going to buffets an people pile there plate high an waste half it and then go up for more! Instead of a few small portions of what you fancy like. Chinese by us charge if you waste they should all do it!!

Let’s be honest they simply can’t charge for waste, not that I condone it but despite what the sign says it’s not actually enforceable.
I hate food waste. Leftovers go in the dog. Is the issue here not just picky kids and over indulgent parents? Some people let their kids dictate what they eat and some don't. None of us are perfect. I remember making my son aged about two to eat the bowl of dry cornflakes his father had given him. Was only when he finally finished them i realised they were chilli Doritos not cornflakes. No wonder he was pulling a face. On the plus side, he now loves spicy food.
I never forced my lad to eat food, all that clear your plate none sense leds to over eating. He was a fussy eater (still is) as long as he's eating and not losing weight i let him get on with it. That said anything left over got/gets used as next days lunch, saves paying for lunches in work. Their her kids, its her money, id keep my nose out, unless of course you fancy being told some home truths about you lol seriously though this is a no win situation, don't poke the mother bear.
Doesn't bother me, at a buffet I'll tell the kids to load up the plates and eat what they want then throw spare in the bin and then go up and load another plate with other items, go until they have had enough. More than enough food in this country plus if I pay for it I feel I can do what I want with it.
benrobertsno14 h, 44 m ago

Doesn't bother me, at a buffet I'll tell the kids to load up the plates …Doesn't bother me, at a buffet I'll tell the kids to load up the plates and eat what they want then throw spare in the bin and then go up and load another plate with other items, go until they have had enough. More than enough food in this country plus if I pay for it I feel I can do what I want with it.

Good luck with that during the zombie apocalypse!
Edited by: "gcmarcal" 4th Jun
gcmarcal1 h, 2 m ago

How did you know, I've been playing state of decay 2 lately, not a lot of food about though.
benrobertsno15 h, 47 m ago

Doesn't bother me, at a buffet I'll tell the kids to load up the plates …Doesn't bother me, at a buffet I'll tell the kids to load up the plates and eat what they want then throw spare in the bin and then go up and load another plate with other items, go until they have had enough. More than enough food in this country plus if I pay for it I feel I can do what I want with it.

If people are throwing away more the restaurant will be cooking more, putting prices up to cover the extra costs, so your probably paying more, hey but you carry on eating from the trough if your happy
gcmarcal1 h, 46 m ago

It is this kind of needless gready waste that puts the prices up for sensible eaters who only eat enough food (body fuel) that their body needs to function properly.
happy197316 h, 13 m ago

I never forced my lad to eat food, all that clear your plate none sense …I never forced my lad to eat food, all that clear your plate none sense leds to over eating. He was a fussy eater (still is) as long as he's eating and not losing weight i let him get on with it. That said anything left over got/gets used as next days lunch, saves paying for lunches in work. Their her kids, its her money, id keep my nose out, unless of course you fancy being told some home truths about you lol seriously though this is a no win situation, don't poke the mother bear.

You do not get fussy eaters in countries where food is scarce.
ASongOfFireAndIce3rd Jun

I hate it!!! Going to buffets an people pile there plate high an waste …I hate it!!! Going to buffets an people pile there plate high an waste half it and then go up for more! Instead of a few small portions of what you fancy like. Chinese by us charge if you waste they should all do it!!

Greed makes round people (and pets).
Bluecat7863rd Jun

She could get just the one meal ie chips and sausage and ask both kids to …She could get just the one meal ie chips and sausage and ask both kids to share like I do as kids eat very less

Or even prepare a healthy meal for them before leaving home.
mrty3rd Jun

I'm with you totally. It may be the parents choice, but they are doing the …I'm with you totally. It may be the parents choice, but they are doing the children no favours at all. It is a ticking bomb. Eventually the child will suffer in some way or another.I expect I will get lambasted by some people on here saying 'it's the parents choice', 'mind your own business)' etc, but if people take that attitude they make the conscious decision that children are property for adults to do as they will with. As adults we must make decisions for children whilst at the same time educating them, so as to give them the best opportunity for the future.And that's without touching on the food waste issue.

Rarents are responcable for moulding tomorrows parents.
mrty3rd Jun

I'm with you totally. It may be the parents choice, but they are doing the …I'm with you totally. It may be the parents choice, but they are doing the children no favours at all. It is a ticking bomb. Eventually the child will suffer in some way or another.I expect I will get lambasted by some people on here saying 'it's the parents choice', 'mind your own business)' etc, but if people take that attitude they make the conscious decision that children are property for adults to do as they will with. As adults we must make decisions for children whilst at the same time educating them, so as to give them the best opportunity for the future.And that's without touching on the food waste issue.

ding2 h, 54 m ago

If people are throwing away more the restaurant will be cooking more, …If people are throwing away more the restaurant will be cooking more, putting prices up to cover the extra costs, so your probably paying more, hey but you carry on eating from the trough if your happy

I will only go if I deem it to be good value, like I said its my money so to hell with it. If you can't afford it because my waste has put prices up I say get a better job.
landros15 h, 10 m ago

I feel I must parent you Parent not Rarent and responsible not responcable please if I’m incorrect somebody correct me!
benrobertsno13 h, 29 m ago

I will only go if I deem it to be good value, like I said its my money so …I will only go if I deem it to be good value, like I said its my money so to hell with it. If you can't afford it because my waste has put prices up I say get a better job.

Demand is what causes inflation so be careful what you wish for, if everyone got better paid jobs then prices would rise even further.

what many people do not realise is that it is oil that feeds the world not money, we need oil for fertilizer pesticides and transportation, without these we could not grow enough food required by the growing population, if we suddenly start to run out of oil reserves it is estimated that two thirds of the world's population will be dead from starvation within 12 months, If this should happen I bet we will have no more fussy eaters or waste. Oil shortages is very serious threat to the world as we are already well passed peak oil. It is a sad truth that for the first world to have plenty then many in the third world have to starve and go without.

I am not saying we should force them to finish what is in on the plate if they are full, but to consider before preparing the meal if they are likely to eat what is put on the plate, and also as I mentioned earlier that many children are allowed to leave meals but 10 mins later are in the freezer eating ice cream or making chocolate spread on toast. It is mainly junk food that causes obesity rather than getting your child to eat all it's meal and if the child is genuinely struggling to clear the plate then the obvious solution is to reduce portion sizes or cut back there reliance on suguary snacks, infact by not getting them to finish there meal is more likely to leave them room for suguary treats and crisps etc.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 4th Jun
happy197322 h, 2 m ago

I never forced my lad to eat food, all that clear your plate none sense …I never forced my lad to eat food, all that clear your plate none sense leds to over eating. He was a fussy eater (still is) as long as he's eating and not losing weight i let him get on with it. That said anything left over got/gets used as next days lunch, saves paying for lunches in work. Their her kids, its her money, id keep my nose out, unless of course you fancy being told some home truths about you lol seriously though this is a no win situation, don't poke the mother bear.

More than likely a fussy eater because he is given to many choices, you don't find fussy eaters in poorer countries. You can bet if he was born in a poor country he would not have been a fussy eater. The clear your plate that you state is nonsense is only an issue if you are making larger food portions that need be or genuinely making the child food he does not like.
ding6 h, 32 m ago

If people are throwing away more the restaurant will be cooking more, …If people are throwing away more the restaurant will be cooking more, putting prices up to cover the extra costs, so your probably paying more, hey but you carry on eating from the trough if your happy

No they don't lies lies, they just lower the qualify lol, I hate buffets. Hate the whole trusting other people not being douches
Bluecat7863rd Jun

She could get just the one meal ie chips and sausage and ask both kids to …She could get just the one meal ie chips and sausage and ask both kids to share like I do as kids eat very less

You would think, but she usually tells the kids what she is about to get them and they insist they want there own tray of chips and may demand a few extras such as a chicken burger, and you can guarantee they will ask for different things to make sure they get separate meals, one bite of the burger, a few chips and the remainder into the the bin, then it is can I have an ice cream or a donut that they then have no problem eating. Don't get me wrong they are certainly not overweight despite there high sugar diet, it just that I feel if they eat more of there meals they would not be so keen to fill themselves on sugary food, I know it is there money and they can spend/waste it how they like, it is just the actual food waste I am against, not only because millions of people in the world are going without but also the more food we purchase the more animals have to be slaughtered, take eggs for example, the more we purchase then the more chickens that end up in battery cages, I accept animals are part of the food chain but not when millions extra are suffering or being slaughtered so food can go to waste.

With my children it was if you ask for it you are eating it, this way they thought if they actually wanted what they were asking for, don't get me wrong I am far from over strict so yes on occasions leave it but 90 percent of the time eat your meal first before you think about any treats or crisps, not that it was ever an issue anyway as my children enjoy there food and would be classed as a healthy weight.
SOUTHWALES5th Jun

You would think, but she usually tells the kids what she is about to get …You would think, but she usually tells the kids what she is about to get them and they insist they want there own tray of chips and may demand a few extras such as a chicken burger, and you can guarantee they will ask for different things to make sure they get separate meals, one bite of the burger, a few chips and the remainder into the the bin, then it is can I have an ice cream or a donut that they then have no problem eating. Don't get me wrong they are certainly not overweight despite there high sugar diet, it just that I feel if they eat more of there meals they would not be so keen to fill themselves on sugary food, I know it is there money and they can spend/waste it how they like, it is just the actual food waste I am against, not only because millions of people in the world are going without but also the more food we purchase the more animals have to be slaughtered, take eggs for example, the more we purchase then the more chickens that end up in battery cages, I accept animals are part of the food chain but not when millions extra are suffering or being slaughtered so food can go to waste.With my children it was if you ask for it you are eating it, this way they thought if they actually wanted what they were asking for, don't get me wrong I am far from over strict so yes on occasions leave it but 90 percent of the time eat your meal first before you think about any treats or crisps, not that it was ever an issue anyway as my children enjoy there food and would be classed as a healthy weight.

Yes I agree with you it's the principal ie we need to be grateful to Allah that he has provided & blessed us living in Europe with so much food when, like you said billions in the developing countries children/adults go without food or very only get very basic food.
As God provides & gives certain people more wealth/ food than others,To test us how much we will think of the poor, Our fellow beings. when we have so much for our own families if we cut out the amount of food we waste & gave charity I am certain there would be no hunger left on this earth.
landros14th Jun

You do not get fussy eaters in countries where food is scarce.

Yes you do.
SOUTHWALES4th Jun

More than likely a fussy eater because he is given to many choices, you …More than likely a fussy eater because he is given to many choices, you don't find fussy eaters in poorer countries. You can bet if he was born in a poor country he would not have been a fussy eater. The clear your plate that you state is nonsense is only an issue if you are making larger food portions that need be or genuinely making the child food he does not like.

We dont live in a poor country so your comment isn't vaild.
happy197354 m ago

We dont live in a poor country so your comment isn't vaild.

I am not trying to have a go but I would put money on it that it is you that has made or allowed your child to be a fussy eater. My point is very valid as it was an example.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants