Groups

Do you eat your 5 a day - Well apparently you are only eating half the amount you should!

Banned
    Well. I eat 2 or 3 with a meal plus a couple of pieces of fruit a day.

But apparently that isnt helping my life expectancy as it should! This is decades after being told it was the best thing to do!

I have been deceived!

"Fruit and veg: For a longer life eat 10 a day"

bbc.co.uk/new…146

"Eating loads of fruit and vegetables - 10 portions a day - may give us longer lives, say researchers.
    The study, by Imperial College London, calculated such eating habits could prevent 7.8 million premature deaths each year.
    The team also identified specific fruit and veg that reduced the risk of cancer and heart disease.
    The analysis showed even small amounts had a health boon, but more is even better.
    A portion counts as 80g (3oz) of fruit or veg - the equivalent of a small banana, a pear or three heaped teaspoons of spinach or peas.
    The conclusions were made by pooling data on 95 separate studies, involving two million people's eating habits."

51 Comments

5 a day wont make you unhealthy, not sure there was ever a limit of 5 though?

5 a day wont make you unhealthy, not sure there was ever a limit of 5 … 5 a day wont make you unhealthy, not sure there was ever a limit of 5 though?

The actual nutritionist who devised the campaign and recommendation actually stated the figure was "made up" and only a suggestion. In fact he thought that an adult and children should be eating a higher proportion of vegetables and to a lesser extent of fruit than the 5 a day recommendation, like Japan who are encouraged to have 11 to 13 portions a day in their diet.

100's of years ago and for centuries we ate mainly meat and some stodge and some would live to a ripe old age but that's probably because they had to work hard and do more physical activity
    Nowadays it's you mustn't eat this or that and you need to eat this and that to stay healthy and live longer

I get the impression you need to eat for the type of physical day you have - meaning if you are doing a physical job like gardening then you can eat more but if you sofa surf as a career then you need to eat 3 peanuts a day

Back in the 60's it was ketchup sandwiches, butter n sugar sandwiches and lets not forget good ol' dripping sandwiches for tea
    Sunday dinner was a full roast (meat and 2 or 3 veg) then the roast will be used again Monday and if it was a big'un Tuesday it'll be turned into something else, Wednesday was always minced beef and onion (can't remember Thursday) Friday was fish n chips or egg n chips and Saturday was a good solid fryup
    Not that healthy some will think but we played out in the fresh air, we did stuff, physical stuff - the only fat kid was the one who didn't do anything except eat

But I'm no scientist, I'm just me with my decades of knowledge and understanding but I know nothing

The figures very from country to country the point was to hammer home a message they thought people would listen to and accept, it was more about what they thought it would replace (have an apple instead of a mars bar for a snack etc)

None of it addresses the fact fruit and vegetables are not as healthy as they where 60 years ago, modern farming practices lead to less nutrients and more water content, plus pesticides of course.

Error440

The figures very from country to country the point was to hammer home a … The figures very from country to country the point was to hammer home a message they thought people would listen to and accept, it was more about what they thought it would replace (have an apple instead of a mars bar for a snack etc)None of it addresses the fact fruit and vegetables are not as healthy as they where 60 years ago, modern farming practices lead to less nutrients and more water content, plus pesticides of course.

but to be fair fruit and veg is certainly a lot healthier than the junk pushed in takeaways and sweet/choc/ready meals.

Why even listen to slogans like 5 a day or an apple a day keeps the doctors away. Just keep to ancient methods, varied diet, vegetables mostly, some meat as we are omnivores.

philphil61

100's of years ago and for centuries we ate mainly meat and some stodge … 100's of years ago and for centuries we ate mainly meat and some stodge and some would live to a ripe old age but that's probably because they had to work hard and do more physical activityNowadays it's you mustn't eat this or that and you need to eat this and that to stay healthy and live longerI get the impression you need to eat for the type of physical day you have - meaning if you are doing a physical job like gardening then you can eat more but if you sofa surf as a career then you need to eat 3 peanuts a day ;)Back in the 60's it was ketchup sandwiches, butter n sugar sandwiches and lets not forget good ol' dripping sandwiches for teaSunday dinner was a full roast (meat and 2 or 3 veg) then the roast will be used again Monday and if it was a big'un Tuesday it'll be turned into something else, Wednesday was always minced beef and onion (can't remember Thursday) Friday was fish n chips or egg n chips and Saturday was a good solid fryupNot that healthy some will think but we played out in the fresh air, we did stuff, physical stuff - the only fat kid was the one who didn't do anything except eatBut I'm no scientist, I'm just me with my decades of knowledge and understanding but I know nothing

100s of years ago the majority lived off bread and cheese, plus wild growing plants, meat and fish were expensive aswell as fruit and vegetables, if you look at cookbooks to get an idea of what people ate you are not getting a true picture as cook books were for the rich and many reenactments cherry pick the dishes to show only showing those that would be palatable to todays expectations.

100s of years ago people did not live that long and child mortality was horrific, we are healthy now then we have ever been infact the optimal time from a diet standpoint alone was during the rationing of WW2.

I have a fascination with military rations, it started out as watching MREs on YouTube then i went back from there out of curiosity, 100s of years ago were grim times, even the soldiers promised "pound of meat" was rarely a pound and mostly bone and gristle, the avarage working pleasent had it far worse especially if they lived in a city.

Plus its also to do with illness control, people are living longer but are also ill for longer, we cant let diabetics just die when they can be kept alive via medical intervention now, we can keep people alive with things that would have killed them years ago so the focus now is on staying healthy or longer because society doesn't want a none productive person needing medical treatment for 50+ years.
    Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 23rd Feb

philphil61

100's of years ago and for centuries we ate mainly meat and some stodge … 100's of years ago and for centuries we ate mainly meat and some stodge and some would live to a ripe old age but that's probably because they had to work hard and do more physical activityNowadays it's you mustn't eat this or that and you need to eat this and that to stay healthy and live longerI get the impression you need to eat for the type of physical day you have - meaning if you are doing a physical job like gardening then you can eat more but if you sofa surf as a career then you need to eat 3 peanuts a day ;)Back in the 60's it was ketchup sandwiches, butter n sugar sandwiches and lets not forget good ol' dripping sandwiches for teaSunday dinner was a full roast (meat and 2 or 3 veg) then the roast will be used again Monday and if it was a big'un Tuesday it'll be turned into something else, Wednesday was always minced beef and onion (can't remember Thursday) Friday was fish n chips or egg n chips and Saturday was a good solid fryupNot that healthy some will think but we played out in the fresh air, we did stuff, physical stuff - the only fat kid was the one who didn't do anything except eatBut I'm no scientist, I'm just me with my decades of knowledge and understanding but I know nothing

But life expectancy was 30 to 60 years in that time peroid. No one on a "meat and some stodge" diet has ever "live to a ripe old age". I guess you just don't you see the point?!

davewave

but to be fair fruit and veg is certainly a lot healthier than the junk … but to be fair fruit and veg is certainly a lot healthier than the junk pushed in takeaways and sweet/choc/ready meals.

Its all like watermelon now, i don't even know why people eat lettuce them icebergs everyone was going on about the shortage of recently, they are nothing but water but people endlessly shove it in sandwiches, use cabbage instead its better especially if its red

philphil61

Is the proof in the pudding though Phil ?

GazmoX

But life expectancy was 30 to 60 years in that time peroid. No one on a … But life expectancy was 30 to 60 years in that time peroid. No one on a "meat and some stodge" diet has ever "live to a ripe old age". I guess you just don't you see the point?!

And medicine has improved
    Yes some would die young especially infants but there were still some who lived into their 80's and 90's

Don't just accept the governments statistics about mortality ages
    If in the 1900's a high percentage of child births ended the average age would be reduced
    If those stillbirths were even higher in the 1800's then the average would be even less

I've been researching family trees for over 20 years - my on family tree goes back to 1650's
    Edited by: "philphil61" 23rd Feb

airfix

Is the proof in the pudding though Phil ?

What pudding? Yorkshire? yes Spotted Dick? no

Error440

Its all like watermelon now, i don't even know why people eat lettuce … Its all like watermelon now, i don't even know why people eat lettuce them icebergs everyone was going on about the shortage of recently, they are nothing but water but people endlessly shove it in sandwiches, use cabbage instead its better especially if its red

Spring greens and Kale are also pretty good imo.

They should warn people about smoothies, people are guzzling these like they are healthy, when you make a smoothie you change the physical properties of the fruit which means sugar is absorbed much quicker into your tract than chewing an apple for example. It's like pure syrup and manufacturers can label it sugar free

airfix

They should warn people about smoothies, people are guzzling these like … They should warn people about smoothies, people are guzzling these like they are healthy, when you make a smoothie you change the physical properties of the fruit which means sugar is absorbed much quicker into your tract than chewing an apple for example. It's like pure syrup and manufacturers can label it sugar free

That's interesting, has there been any research on this?

davewave

That's interesting, has there been any research on this?

I found some info here diabetes.org.uk/Gui…es/

philphil61

And medicine has improved Yes some would die young especially infants but … And medicine has improved Yes some would die young especially infants but there were still some who lived into their 80's and 90's Don't just accept the governments statistics about mortality agesIf in the 1900's a high percentage of child births ended the average age would be reducedIf those stillbirths were even higher in the 1800's then the average would be even lessI've been researching family trees for over 20 years - my on family tree goes back to 1650's

​got a point Phil, my grandad and his 7 siblings were born around 1908- 1920, 2 died as babies, 1 died under 5, 1 died from a disability he'd had from birth in hi teens, 1 died in ww2, the 3 remaining lived into their 80s. so the average age was a bit rubbish.

airfix

I found some info here … I found some info here https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Enjoy-food/what-to-drink-with-diabetes/Fruit-juices-and-smoothies/

Yes that really does answer my question. Very good to know!

I'm still confused. Why do I need to watch fruit juices and smoothies but not the whole fruit?
    Fructose adds to your intake of free (added) sugars. Whole fruit, on the other hand, does not.

Whole fruit contains fibre (roughage), vitamins and minerals, which are good for your overall health. The fibre helps to slow down the speed the fructose is absorbed into your blood stream and can help you feel fuller for longer. This is why it’s better to eat whole fruit, rather than fruit in the form of juice or a smoothie.

Fruit juice and smoothies, on the other hand, have most of the fibre (roughage) removed when they are made and it’s very easy to drink large quantities in a short space of time. This means you could be drinking a lot of extra calories, carbs and sugar.

We know that too much of our sugar intake is coming from juices and smoothies, so it makes sense to cut down. The good news is that we are not eating enough fruit, so this is something you can eat more of. Though be mindful of serving sizes – it’s easy to overdo the dried fruit, grapes and tropical fruits without really thinking about it.

airfix

They should warn people about smoothies, people are guzzling these like … They should warn people about smoothies, people are guzzling these like they are healthy, when you make a smoothie you change the physical properties of the fruit which means sugar is absorbed much quicker into your tract than chewing an apple for example. It's like pure syrup and manufacturers can label it sugar free

Can you show an example of a smoothie being labelled 'sugar free', I don't believe this is accurate. 'no added sugar' maybe... But there is a difference between the two statements.

Imagine if you were a family of 4, 40 pieces of fruit would be consumed per day and 280 per week, insane!

People who know nothing about diet or nutrition in this topic. Smh.

What about the cumulative effect of pesticide? Read the UN's Agenda 21 regarding population reduction......a sinister plot?

delusion

Can you show an example of a smoothie being labelled 'sugar free', I … Can you show an example of a smoothie being labelled 'sugar free', I don't believe this is accurate. 'no added sugar' maybe... But there is a difference between the two statements.

Yes you are correct, I meant no added sugar.

I think 5 a day is fine, so long as you also work out/keep fit.

If you're a couch potato then maybe 10 a day would be better.

The " secret" to longevity is purely genetics , simple as . Eating 3 teaspoons of spinach , 6 walnuts , 5 tomatoes and a flaxseed and chia bun everyday won't do you any harm , but adding years to your life is a dubious claim. Stressing and analysing everything you eat will knock more years off your life than you gain by eating it in the first place .

The people who eat more vegetables generally eat less meat, the 'less meat' is what makes the difference to your health.

airfix

The people who eat more vegetables generally eat less meat, the 'less … The people who eat more vegetables generally eat less meat, the 'less meat' is what makes the difference to your health.

So vegetarians live longer than meat eaters ?

plodging

So vegetarians live longer than meat eaters ?

I said those who eat less meat, not no meat

airfix

I said those who eat less meat, not no meat

Thank god for that ..giving up bacon and steak is scary thought. Mind you a huge study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found absolutely no evidence giving up or cutting back on meat made the slightest difference to life expectancy .
    Edited by: "plodging" 23rd Feb

airfix

The people who eat more vegetables generally eat less meat, the 'less … The people who eat more vegetables generally eat less meat, the 'less meat' is what makes the difference to your health.

First you need to stop generalisation.
    Secondly, you should eject yourself from this thread and any further threads about diet/fitness/nutrition and what not.

You have no idea.

Edit: Thirdly; learn what context means.
    Edited by: "ritchiedrama" 23rd Feb

ritchiedrama

First you need to stop generalisation. Secondly, you should eject … First you need to stop generalisation. Secondly, you should eject yourself from this thread and any further threads about diet/fitness/nutrition and what not.You have no idea.Edit: Thirdly; learn what context means.

Sounds like I've hit a nerve.

airfix

WAIT!!! I just found this Vegans live longer than those who eat meat or … WAIT!!! I just found this Vegans live longer than those who eat meat or eggs, research finds

A battle of the research surveys lol.. One states that vegans tend not to smoke , drink alcohol etc etc .. The eating veg is not the main reason. They sound fun at a barbecue eh.. Chuck a cauli on the barbi.
    Edited by: "plodging" 23rd Feb

There was a report a few days ago that said "Half a pint of beer increases risk of heart disease".
    Strangely those reports have now disappeared (Google search shows Telegraph & Mirror links but the actual pages have been deleted).

Clearly someone thought "half a pint a week, don't be daft"

(Slightly OT, oops).

airfix

No. I just hate stupidity. You sound like an SJW at a rally mate, give over. This is how you make me feel.

[img]scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t…jpg?oh=9d0ba351c7c10cc84bc5f5f47d2987f5&oe=59476F8C[/img]

ritchiedrama

No. I just hate stupidity. You sound like an SJW at a rally mate, give … No. I just hate stupidity. You sound like an SJW at a rally mate, give over. This is how you make me feel.[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16831175_632707426915817_2316202164223427507_n.jpg?oh=9d0ba351c7c10cc84bc5f5f47d2987f5&oe=59476F8C[/img]

If you were interested you'd be more constructive maybe, instead of acting like some hero.

its funny in an age of cheap crap food , cheap alcohol and appalling diets , life expectancy rate keeps going up .

philphil61

And medicine has improved Yes some would die young especially infants but … And medicine has improved Yes some would die young especially infants but there were still some who lived into their 80's and 90's Don't just accept the governments statistics about mortality agesIf in the 1900's a high percentage of child births ended the average age would be reducedIf those stillbirths were even higher in the 1800's then the average would be even lessI've been researching family trees for over 20 years - my on family tree goes back to 1650's

The birth rates are dropping because child mortality is, it was expected you'd lose a few now its rare thus the avarage is now 1 to 2 children when 100 years ago the avarage was 6.

airfix

Try looking at the last part of the user ID
    Then add the opposite of King

ritchiedrama

First you need to stop generalisation. Secondly, you should eject … First you need to stop generalisation. Secondly, you should eject yourself from this thread and any further threads about diet/fitness/nutrition and what not.You have no idea.Edit: Thirdly; learn what context means.

Do enlighten us with your vastly superior knowledge.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.11
      2. One for the mathmeticians1930
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767425
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17876401

See more discussions