Do you ever bet for money?

Found 4th Aug 2017
I rarely bet. In fact apart from The Grand National putting £2 each way I cant remember when I ever betted before.

BUT tonight I decided to put £20 on Shaun Williamson & £10 on Helen Lederer to win Celebrity Big Brother

Who do you think might win it?
Community Updates
Misc
45 Comments
Damn I came here to read about some hardcore gamblers and it's Big Brother.
Mate get off that big brother nonsense
What next are you going to phone in and vote?
Sarah Harding might win.
I bet £1 trillion that I didn't watch that Big Brother, any takers?!
Gambling is for losers and losers watch Big Brother
betting often involves money. what else would you bet for??

betting is a mug's game. you may win in the short term but in the long term you are almost certain to lose and often lose big style. so many people get into trouble with betting as it is difficult to treat it as a bit of fun.
Say's the person who claims to gamble in £100's thousands on the stock market!!!
I bet with weasels and then i make them fight and all bets are in weasels so i win more weasels.

I shall have a fighting weasel league within two years and televise it.
Error44010 m ago

I bet with weasels and then i make them fight and all bets are in weasels …I bet with weasels and then i make them fight and all bets are in weasels so i win more weasels. I shall have a fighting weasel league within two years and televise it.

I bet you two weasels you won't.
fivegoldstars1 m ago

I bet you two weasels you won't.

I accept
Error4405 m ago

I accept

In that case, I raise you a stoat and half of a water vole.
fivegoldstars2 m ago

In that case, I raise you a stoat and half of a water vole.

What use are those, start your own league
Error4407 m ago

What use are those, start your own league

What? With half a water vole? That's crazy talk.
I buy National Lottery tickets.

I don't think it is a tax on the stupid, so I'll assume it is gambling for money.
fivegoldstars14 m ago

What? With half a water vole? That's crazy talk.

Feed it to the stoat, wait a minute those are a protected endangered Animal!
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 4th Aug 2017
Error4404 m ago

Feed it to the stoat, wait a minute those are a protected endangered …Feed it to the stoat, wait a minute those are a protected endangered Animal!

With this kind of insight, I'm starting to think that I'm out of pocket by two weasels.
Truly I have never met a more formidable opponent in the field of small mammal MMA.
Edited by: "fivegoldstars" 4th Aug 2017
Dyslexic_Dog1 h, 59 m ago

Say's the person who claims to gamble in £100's thousands on the stock …Say's the person who claims to gamble in £100's thousands on the stock market!!!

and whos 'husband' gambles 100k a year
I suppose it's ok though if money is no problem
Edited by: "deeky" 4th Aug 2017
Dyslexic_Dog2 h, 35 m ago

Say's the person who claims to gamble in £100's thousands on the stock …Say's the person who claims to gamble in £100's thousands on the stock market!!!

Stocks and shares are not gambling. They are investments. All pension funds invest in stocks, and shares, so are you saying that they are gambling with everyone's money? Of course not. There are risks involved like everything in life, like taking a flight to go on holiday, but it is definately not like putting money on who will win the next football game or big brother.
mutley15 m ago

Stocks and shares are not gambling. They are investments. All pension …Stocks and shares are not gambling. They are investments. All pension funds invest in stocks, and shares, so are you saying that they are gambling with everyone's money? Of course not. There are risks involved like everything in life, like taking a flight to go on holiday, but it is definately not like putting money on who will win the next football game or big brother.

I love the way you don't say he's exaggerating
You're priceless mutters
mutley116 m ago

Stocks and shares are not gambling. They are investments. All pension …Stocks and shares are not gambling. They are investments. All pension funds invest in stocks, and shares, so are you saying that they are gambling with everyone's money? Of course not. There are risks involved like everything in life, like taking a flight to go on holiday, but it is definately not like putting money on who will win the next football game or big brother.

Of course it's gambling, you could lose all of your original investment if things go badly, you're just betting on the prices rising. And yes, some pension funds have gambled and lost a lot of peoples pension funds.
deeky28 m ago

I love the way you don't say he's exaggerating You're priceless mutters

He? I have to come clean I'm a female really but a lot of people think I'm a man for some reason!
Dyslexic_Dog5 m ago

He? I have to come clean I'm a female really but a lot of people think I'm …He? I have to come clean I'm a female really but a lot of people think I'm a man for some reason!

This probably doesn't help.

31618565-j8Gb3.jpg
Dyslexic_Dog9 m ago

He? I have to come clean I'm a female really but a lot of people think I'm …He? I have to come clean I'm a female really but a lot of people think I'm a man for some reason!

Well he was a he but claims to be a she now. I don't know tbh but I just got used to him being a he
Dyslexic_Dog29 m ago

Of course it's gambling, you could lose all of your original investment if …Of course it's gambling, you could lose all of your original investment if things go badly, you're just betting on the prices rising. And yes, some pension funds have gambled and lost a lot of peoples pension funds.

Not everyone invest on the price. You buy shares in companies expecting them to do well and give you dividends. We would not have a functioning society if companies can not raise investments in order to operate. Shares are simply the way campanies raise capital from investors to operate. Apple would not exist if no one invested in shares!

Everyone's pensions will be invested in shares. They just don't know it. There are no cash investments for any pension fund, exept short term holdings and they charge you to hold these, you get no interest either so you are certain to lose money if you invest in cash on pension funds.
mutley18 m ago

Not everyone invest on the price. You buy shares in companies expecting …Not everyone invest on the price. You buy shares in companies expecting them to do well and give you dividends. We would not have a functioning society if companies can not raise investments in order to operate. Shares are simply the way campanies raise capital from investors to operate. Apple would not exist if no one invested in shares!Everyone's pensions will be invested in shares. They just don't know it. There are no cash investments for any pension fund, exept short term holdings and they charge you to hold these, you get no interest either so you are certain to lose money if you invest in cash on pension funds.

And people bet on horses expecting them to do well, only person who doesn't want to be told the odds is han solo
Dyslexic_Dog32 m ago

Oh, I misread your comment, I thought I had confused you about mutter's gender

Sorry for referring to you as 'he' though. Far better than letting people think you're something that you're not, I think
Error44040 m ago

And people bet on horses expecting them to do well, only person who …And people bet on horses expecting them to do well, only person who doesn't want to be told the odds is han solo

There is more chance that Apple will do well, or sainsburys and john lewis than a horse! Anything could happen to a horse. He could fall over. There is very little chance apple will go into liquidation within the next 5 years and you lose your money!
mutley15 m ago

There is more chance that Apple will do well, or sainsburys and john lewis …There is more chance that Apple will do well, or sainsburys and john lewis than a horse! Anything could happen to a horse. He could fall over. There is very little chance apple will go into liquidation within the next 5 years and you lose your money!

Apple doesn't need to go in to liquidation for an investor to lose their investment though, does It?
RossD895 m ago

Apple doesn't need to go in to liquidation for an investor to lose their …Apple doesn't need to go in to liquidation for an investor to lose their investment though, does It?

As long as you can hold the shares long enough, your shares are unlikely to go down in value. Many people invest in shares and many continue to do so. They are not gambling. It is better than putting your money on who will win big brother or the next football cup as that is pure chance.
mutley11 m ago

As long as you can hold the shares long enough, your shares are unlikely …As long as you can hold the shares long enough, your shares are unlikely to go down in value. Many people invest in shares and many continue to do so. They are not gambling. It is better than putting your money on who will win big brother or the next football cup as that is pure chance.

Unlikely?

So there is a chance that they Will?

Sounds like a gamble to me...
RossD893 m ago

Unlikely?So there is a chance that they Will?Sounds like a gamble to me...

As I said before. Everything is a risk in life. Nothing is ever certain, except death and taxes! It is how risky something is. If you don't take risks, you will just sit at home all day and do nothing. You would not go on a plane because it may fall. You won't drive the car, because you may get involved in a car accident. You won't go for a swim because you may drown.
mutley18 m ago

As long as you can hold the shares long enough, your shares are unlikely …As long as you can hold the shares long enough, your shares are unlikely to go down in value. Many people invest in shares and many continue to do so. They are not gambling. It is better than putting your money on who will win big brother or the next football cup as that is pure chance.

My dad had shares in northern rock, I'd never heard of them until they crashed and burned so essentially he had a gamble on for 20 years until it blew up in his face, his stocks never returned the investment enough to cover the loss of them all going to hell, he had about 8k in it and he still has shares elsewhere.
mutley15 m ago

As I said before. Everything is a risk in life. Nothing is ever certain, …As I said before. Everything is a risk in life. Nothing is ever certain, except death and taxes! It is how risky something is. If you don't take risks, you will just sit at home all day and do nothing. You would not go on a plane because it may fall. You won't drive the car, because you may get involved in a car accident. You won't go for a swim because you may drown.

en.oxforddictionaries.com/def…ble

So its gambling then
mutley132 m ago

There is more chance that Apple will do well, or sainsburys and john lewis …There is more chance that Apple will do well, or sainsburys and john lewis than a horse! Anything could happen to a horse. He could fall over. There is very little chance apple will go into liquidation within the next 5 years and you lose your money!

I thought that about Marconi. And Telewest. And Burnden Leisure.
I've lost more on the markets than I'll ever lose at the bookies.
Error44036 m ago

My dad had shares in northern rock, I'd never heard of them until they …My dad had shares in northern rock, I'd never heard of them until they crashed and burned so essentially he had a gamble on for 20 years until it blew up in his face, his stocks never returned the investment enough to cover the loss of them all going to hell, he had about 8k in it and he still has shares elsewhere.

Like anything in life, there are risks. There are so many banks and building society, yet only a few has folded. Shares are only for those who are prepared to take some risk for the reward. There are so many companies, but only some had folded. Northern rock is not exactly apple or the more safer companies.

I would still rather buy shares than put money on a horse or a football game.
fivegoldstars26 m ago

I thought that about Marconi. And Telewest. And Burnden Leisure. I've lost …I thought that about Marconi. And Telewest. And Burnden Leisure. I've lost more on the markets than I'll ever lose at the bookies.

There are in fact very very few people that win money from the bookies in the long run but lots who make money from the markets.
mutley19 m ago

There are in fact very very few people that win money from the bookies in …There are in fact very very few people that win money from the bookies in the long run but lots who make money from the markets.

I agree that plenty of people make money on the markets. But plenty don't. Ergo, it's a gamble.
mutley12 h, 5 m ago

...Apple would not exist if no one invested in shares!...

It existed for nine months before incorporation.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants