Do you give homeless people money?

Found 5th Apr
If so, why? When people are on the streets, a lot of the advice is not to give them money as it feeds their habit or whatever. Just wanted to hear some opinions about it really.
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments
.Life rule.. Never attach conditions when handing over money.. We don't day to day do we.. Shop keeper could be a junky and use your money for drugs or if you tip a waiter they could buy booze.. If you hand over money then that's it. Agree or disagree? Just a life rule I heard once some years back.. I agree
Edited by: "wayners" 5th Apr
I just get them some heroin, otherwise i can't be sure they aren't frittering it away on food or an extra pair of socks.
I offer them food and if they say yes, than I give them food. One chap who I offered food was very great full for food as that's what he wanted the money for. I got talking to him, he was an ex serving Falklands soldier. I gave him £20 on top. As a Muslim I feel obliged to help anyone in need.
Also take time to talk to them , it doesn't cost anything to talk to people. Give them a bit of respect. Obviously there are fraudsters but I am obliged to help from a religious and moral point of view
Yes I do, and I couldn't give a flying badgers if they spent that money on a nutritious and warming lunch, or cheap cider and class A's. Seems overly pious to me, donating then adding conditions on what they can spend their money on.
77 Comments
No,i give them a hot drink from Cafe Nero every Tuesday.
I gave an old homeless guy money every so often but most of the time I prefered to buy him a breakfast coz couldn't be sure he would buy food.
vcd1man2 m ago

I gave an old homeless guy money every so often but most of the time I …I gave an old homeless guy money every so often but most of the time I prefered to buy him a breakfast coz couldn't be sure he would buy food.

That's the reason a lot of people don't give them money, me included.
I just get them some heroin, otherwise i can't be sure they aren't frittering it away on food or an extra pair of socks.
CoeK2 m ago

I just get them some heroin, otherwise i can't be sure they aren't …I just get them some heroin, otherwise i can't be sure they aren't frittering it away on food or an extra pair of socks.

👎
If you’re not 100% on giving money. I buy a sandwich but I donate to local homeless centre or food bank in my area. Not everyone is a junky on the streets. People are to quick to judge. When if they sat and listened. They might understand
.Life rule.. Never attach conditions when handing over money.. We don't day to day do we.. Shop keeper could be a junky and use your money for drugs or if you tip a waiter they could buy booze.. If you hand over money then that's it. Agree or disagree? Just a life rule I heard once some years back.. I agree
Edited by: "wayners" 5th Apr
Yes I do, and I couldn't give a flying badgers if they spent that money on a nutritious and warming lunch, or cheap cider and class A's. Seems overly pious to me, donating then adding conditions on what they can spend their money on.
DKLS2 m ago

Yes I do, and I couldn't give a flying badgers if they spent that money on …Yes I do, and I couldn't give a flying badgers if they spent that money on a nutritious and warming lunch, or cheap cider and class A's. Seems overly pious to me, donating then adding conditions on what they can spend their money on.

wayners3 m ago

.Life rule.. Never attach conditions when handing over money.. We don't ….Life rule.. Never attach conditions when handing over money.. We don't day to day do we.. Shop keeper could be a junky and use your money for drugs or if you tip a waiter they could buy booze.. If you hand over money then that's it. Agree or disagree? Just a life rule I heard once some years back.. I agree

Pretty much what i meant by my comment. But i got a thumbs down for it and now i'm all sad and stuff
Original Poster
I'm glad to hear those thoughts. I think it's not up to us to decide what they do with the money, if it's making lives a little easier then that's enough for me. Even it was going towards booze or whatnot.
I have given money but get told not too as they could spend it on drugs etc. so I then give food to be told not too either as they get enough from shelters etc. I have seen food left and not eaten in some spots. So next time might just go direct to charities but they don't give 100% of it to the homeless. I heard of one local woman, bought a pair of shoes for a homeless fella and he took them back to the shop to get the money back, they refused which caused problems then.
Edited by: "caverncity" 5th Apr
If I had no other choice but to sleep on the streets, in terrible weather, and I had a fiver in my pocket that would buy me some food, or would buy me drugs that would let me escape the harsh realities of my situation then I don't think I would choose food 100% of the time.
Edited by: "RossD89" 5th Apr
I offer them food and if they say yes, than I give them food. One chap who I offered food was very great full for food as that's what he wanted the money for. I got talking to him, he was an ex serving Falklands soldier. I gave him £20 on top. As a Muslim I feel obliged to help anyone in need.
Also take time to talk to them , it doesn't cost anything to talk to people. Give them a bit of respect. Obviously there are fraudsters but I am obliged to help from a religious and moral point of view
I do and I also don't care what they spend it on. I'm not them I don't live their life, I don't know their past present and future. I'm not loaded but I am also at a place where that 50p/£1 coin won't make an impact on my life day to day life. I will just buy something completely unnecessary.

Though the fake homeless thing is starting to annoy me. There are also a few locals I see that always tell the same story, one is money for the bus.
There are a variety of lifestyles which people find themselves in, drugs aren't the answer and charities are equipped to guide and provide for the homeless, getting a drug dealer a nicer car isn't what I want to fund tbh.
I cant afford my own drugs so why should I fund someone elses
I've moved over to giving to charity instead now . Unfortunately my home town has an increasing issue with "fake homeless " , both those that get the train in from other areas and one lady who has a flat but gains her income from begging. There is a homeless cafe which serves free breakfast,lunch and dinners and hot drinks in-between all for free, which is less than 5 mins walk from the town centre, so they can all obtain three meals a day.

The night shelter is only at 70% capacity most nights though as it won't accept those with drug issues.

Unfortunately the actions of some of the rough sleepers are becoming more unpleasant, violent fights, swearing and aggressive behaviour towards passers by and each other. A couple of weeks back one set fire to another's bedding as he had deemed the newcomer to have stolen his patch . I have given food and money in the past , but I think charity donations are the way forward for me now. I appreciate some don't mind if there money is used for drugs but it doesn't sit right with me . Was told last week that £5 buys a small wrap ( not of the food variety) which is scary when you imagine what rubbish might be in there at that price . But I agree if you choose to give money direct you can't expect to attach conditions.
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 5th Apr
Sometimes I give money when I don't have time to buy them food but I try stick to Food. I now plan to buy gift cards for food shops. Handy buying gift cards in small amounts like Tesco.
davewave1 h, 2 m ago

There are a variety of lifestyles which people find themselves in, drugs …There are a variety of lifestyles which people find themselves in, drugs aren't the answer and charities are equipped to guide and provide for the homeless, getting a drug dealer a nicer car isn't what I want to fund tbh.

Drugs are sometimes the answer.
I give them nothing including food. Not because i don’t want too but because the homeless are the best fed, they get given food to them all the time, i doubt they ever go hungry. There is lots of charity’s out there and i would prefer to give my money to them.
CoeK42 m ago

Drugs are sometimes the answer.

Oh really, thanks - do you work for a homeless charity perhaps?
CoeK4 h, 0 m ago

I just get them some heroin, otherwise i can't be sure they aren't …I just get them some heroin, otherwise i can't be sure they aren't frittering it away on food or an extra pair of socks.

Had a guy come up and straight ask for money to get heroin once, because he didn’t want to get so desperate that he broke the law. I gave him money just out of respect for his honesty.
davewave30 m ago

Oh really, thanks - do you work for a homeless charity perhaps?

No but if you need help I'm sure I can get you a number?
CoeK1 m ago

No but if you need help I'm sure I can get you a number?

ah amazing, well done, don't need it but I'm glad you can find the help if needed.
Tbh, if I was homeless I'd probably want to be cracked up to the max as it must be horrible being on the streets all the time.

I'll always give a bit of change if I can as I like to think that if ever I was on that position, other people would help too.
Edited by: "Towelie" 5th Apr
yes
Problem with this country is that if you're a single male ( Like most homeless people) no one gives a rats a** about you. Theres no government help and if you have mental health problems then forget it. Its only through help from charities and the public that theres anything available, I do voluntary work at a local homeless charity when i have the time. There are some scammers on the streets but a lot are just fellas who have gone through tough times like a divorce, please don't tar them all with the same brush and take some time just to talk to them.
As for money entirely up to you or just some food would help them a lot
Edited by: "themachman" 5th Apr
I rarely give money to beggars but I always buy The Big Issue. Selling The Big Issue means that they are genuinely on the streets but are actively trying to improve their situation, and that's always worth supporting. Plus it's a really excellent read (it's not all just about the homeless, as many people think), and has opened my eyes to the different reasons people can find themselves without a roof over their heads, and all the good people trying to help them. Plus it has competitions, celeb interviews, art, puzzles, short stories, and lots of other stuff.

Buy The Big Issue!
I tend to give food or hot drinks to homeless people, I don’t feel morally comfortable giving money if it gets spent on drugs, cigarettes etc

I also often give homeless people who have dogs some dog biscuits and treats as they really do adore their dogs. I’ve probably had more very heartfelt thanks for giving dog biscuits and dog food to homeless people than giving them food for themselves (probably partly because there are a few places they can get food from around here).

Don’t get me wrong, if I give food for the dogs I also give biscuits or something nice to the homeless person, but the reaction towards helping their beloved pet seems more heartfelt than any help given to themselves.

I also support the local food bank and the Salvation Army but the local charity I support most is the women’s shelter.
davewave53 m ago

ah amazing, well done, don't need it but I'm glad you can find the help if …ah amazing, well done, don't need it but I'm glad you can find the help if needed.

Just let me know, I will worry sick about you otherwise.
CoeK12 m ago

Just let me know, I will worry sick about you otherwise.

Oh.
^^^^^Up there^^^^ somewhere is why this country, this planet is being destroyed

They fail to understand logic and common sense and advice that has been publicly supported by governments, charities and other educated professionals.

Google search "homeless people money"

Of course it's personal choice - you've earned it so you can decide on how it's spent but to ignore decades of advice and common sense is like just throwing that hard earned out of a transatlantic flight window and hoping it will land on someone who actually needs the money.
Edited by: "philphil61" 5th Apr
In my town there used to be a guy who would sit in the train station with his dog asking for money because he was “homeless”. He had a council flat and was on the dole, he was just a junkie after extra.

also I have been essentially homeless more than once in my life when I was younger, but I either stayed with a friend or was placed in a hostel (the council have a duty to house anyone who is homeless unless they made themself intentionally homeless). Anyone genuinely on the streets either hasn’t tried to get help or they are homeless from their own making.

i know that is most likely an evil sounding response that won’t earn me any popularity points,but to me it’s the truth as I have been there/done that and know what help is available and so I have very little sympathy.
I used to give them money. But my local town centre is full of scam artists. So I don't bother handing them anything now.

One guy acted like he couldn't walk, like really over the top. So I made sure he was ok, didn't even know he was 'homeless' but he gave me a sob story and I felt bad due to his acting skills.

I gave him all the change I had in my pocket, being around £4.

But I recalled him saying he spent the night outside the back of Tesco 24 hour shop. That night my ex (was my gf at the time) wanted to go shopping at 2am to get a Yazoo milkshake... -_-

Anyways, I thought I'd check in on this homeless guy. There was no sign of anyone there, or anyone had slept there.

So I felt I was scammed in a sense.

Only time I felt good about giving someone money who was homeless.
I was coming back from a firework display. Rid across a motorway foot bridge, as the path spiraled down I noticed someone under the bridge around a load of milk bottles and wooden walls. I approached him and offered him some money, without him asking for anything.
Explained to him I'm going shopping and I got my bank card so I'm ok. So have my last note and grab something to eat.

Now aday's I just ignore these beggers at my local town centre, a long side most charity and religious commission makers.
Alo
themachman4 h, 32 m ago

Problem with this country is that if you're a single male ( Like most …Problem with this country is that if you're a single male ( Like most homeless people) no one gives a rats a** about you. Theres no government help and if you have mental health problems then forget it. Its only through help from charities and the public that theres anything available, I do voluntary work at a local homeless charity when i have the time. There are some scammers on the streets but a lot are just fellas who have gone through tough times like a divorce, please don't tar them all with the same brush and take some time just to talk to them. As for money entirely up to you or just some food would help them a lot

Alot of them are homeless because they refused to get help\admit their mental health problems, one of the first things to go out the window is the ability to manage money so they end up in debt and then it all goes on and on from there
dealpickle4 h, 31 m ago

I rarely give money to beggars but I always buy The Big Issue. Selling The …I rarely give money to beggars but I always buy The Big Issue. Selling The Big Issue means that they are genuinely on the streets but are actively trying to improve their situation, and that's always worth supporting. Plus it's a really excellent read (it's not all just about the homeless, as many people think), and has opened my eyes to the different reasons people can find themselves without a roof over their heads, and all the good people trying to help them. Plus it has competitions, celeb interviews, art, puzzles, short stories, and lots of other stuff.Buy The Big Issue!

But you don't have to be homeless to sell the big issue, and wasn't there a problem with Romanian gangs buying them all up to sell?
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 5th Apr
dealpickle4 h, 49 m ago

I rarely give money to beggars but I always buy The Big Issue. Selling The …I rarely give money to beggars but I always buy The Big Issue. Selling The Big Issue means that they are genuinely on the streets but are actively trying to improve their situation, and that's always worth supporting. Plus it's a really excellent read (it's not all just about the homeless, as many people think), and has opened my eyes to the different reasons people can find themselves without a roof over their heads, and all the good people trying to help them. Plus it has competitions, celeb interviews, art, puzzles, short stories, and lots of other stuff.Buy The Big Issue!

When I worked in Ipswich a few years ago I stopped buying The Big Issue when I realised that the regular guy selling it had a much better & newer mobile phone than I could afford. That was Game Over as far as I was concerned. I may be regarded as being in the wrong (and absolutely accept that he was totally entitled to spend what money he got as he saw fit), but given that I've 4 kids of my own to bring up, I wasn't going to continue to fund him ... and as a result nor wider homeless community. I'm a lot more suspicious these days.
Edited by: "Spango" 5th Apr
I saw a homeless man sleeping in a cardboard box outside the train station this morning. Not wanting to disturb him, I just popped a Costa Coffee cup on top of the box.
The noise must have woken him, and he thanked me, before complaining that the cup was empty.
'I know,' I said. 'It's supposed to be a chimney.'
Segata-Sanshiro42 m ago

Alo Alot of them are homeless because they refused to get help\admit their …Alo Alot of them are homeless because they refused to get help\admit their mental health problems, one of the first things to go out the window is the ability to manage money so they end up in debt and then it all goes on and on from there

if you suffer from true mental health most of the time you don't know your ill
divorced men who find themselves on the street are usually penniless and broke as they have usually been kicked out and end up loosing their jobs, please don't judge these people,it can happen to anyone.
I have given cash and food. Even in the height of summer the UK can be pretty cold at night and I can understand why people drink alcohol to take the edge off it. Got my kids a new tv at Xmas and asked my sister who's a social worker to give it to a needy family. Nothing like helping others to make us feel better.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions