Do you guys clean your flip flops or sandals?

Found 19th Jul 2017
I clean the flip flops with a tooth brush but this takes time. Do you guys clean your flip flops or sandals and what technique do you use?

I am wondering if I could put them in the washing machine? My husband used to put his trainers in the washing machine before he met me, though I won't allow him to do this now!
Community Updates
AskCleaning
Top comments
I lick mine
36 Comments
If they are just plain plastic material (no leather/fabric) you can clean them almost any way you like.

The washing machine will work, absolutely. I've done this before. They'll also clean up in a dishwasher if you have one.

Mostly though I just wash them in a sink. Use an old brush or cloth and any sort of soap, even washing up liquid will do!
I lick mine
Depends on price generally wore till death and binned
I put them in the washing machine. I've even done this with expensive merrell walking sandals. Never did them any harm
justanothercid15 m ago

Depends on price generally wore till death and binned

i find that they become dirty very quickly and i wash them pretty much once a week.
psychobitchfromhell11 m ago

I put them in the washing machine. I've even done this with expensive …I put them in the washing machine. I've even done this with expensive merrell walking sandals. Never did them any harm

thanks. i will try this on a low heating as the heat may damage the flip flops? so they don't damage the washing machine, rolling around in there?

what wash option do you choose?
jo3821 m ago

If they are just plain plastic material (no leather/fabric) you can clean …If they are just plain plastic material (no leather/fabric) you can clean them almost any way you like.The washing machine will work, absolutely. I've done this before. They'll also clean up in a dishwasher if you have one.Mostly though I just wash them in a sink. Use an old brush or cloth and any sort of soap, even washing up liquid will do!

i don't like the dishwasher idea as my plates are in there and i don't like the idea that non food filth have been in the dishwasher, even if they are put in there by themselves! yuck.

i assume you just used the rinse option as the dishwasher gets pretty hot and that would melt the flip flop rubber.
I wash all our non leather shoes (football boots, flip flops, canvas slip ons) they are washed on a 30c cycle and they lay next to the Aga or boiler to dry out for a day or two. Good as new.
mutley1

i don't like the dishwasher idea as my plates are in there and i don't … i don't like the dishwasher idea as my plates are in there and i don't like the idea that non food filth have been in the dishwasher, even if they are put in there by themselves! yuck.i assume you just used the rinse option as the dishwasher gets pretty hot and that would melt the flip flop rubber.

Put them on a low temperature short wash and let them dry out naturally. I have to say they often just go in the wash with the normal laundry if it is of a more robust nature such as jeans.
Why wont you let him put trainers in the washing machine? Its the best way to clean them. Understandably if they are covered in mud spray them down first but general dirt throw them straight in and they come out looking almost new.
Put them in a net zip up washing bag, that will protect them a bit in the washing machine.
From living in the Far East I picked up the habit of leaving footwear outside the door. Solves lots of issues...
666FU53 m ago

Why wont you let him put trainers in the washing machine? Its the best way …Why wont you let him put trainers in the washing machine? Its the best way to clean them. Understandably if they are covered in mud spray them down first but general dirt throw them straight in and they come out looking almost new.

i don't like the idea that my clothes are going inside a washing machine that had washed shoes! i just think it is not clean. although having said that, if he now sees me putting my flip flops in, he is going to start to put his trainers in as i can't then stop him if i am doing it myself!

i will have to do it discreetly. lol
Wear them when you shower. I do this with my crocs. Keeps them smelling fresh.
mutley1

i don't like the idea that my clothes are going inside a washing machine … i don't like the idea that my clothes are going inside a washing machine that had washed shoes! i just think it is not clean. although having said that, if he now sees me putting my flip flops in, he is going to start to put his trainers in as i can't then stop him if i am doing it myself!i will have to do it discreetly. lol lol

It is no more dirty than putting gardening clothes covered in mud in. The whole idea of a washing machine is to get things clean. It's what they do.
Kaos_KS40 m ago

Wear them when you shower. I do this with my crocs. Keeps them smelling …Wear them when you shower. I do this with my crocs. Keeps them smelling fresh.

Are you crazy? I dont them in the shower with me. They are dirty!
psychobitchfromhell7 m ago

It is no more dirty than putting gardening clothes covered in mud in. The …It is no more dirty than putting gardening clothes covered in mud in. The whole idea of a washing machine is to get things clean. It's what they do.

Fair point but i think shoes have been on the floor so the dirt is really dirty. We dont have muddy clothes. Except the dog towels
mutley1

Fair point but i think shoes have been on the floor so the dirt is really … Fair point but i think shoes have been on the floor so the dirt is really dirty. We dont have muddy clothes. Except the dog towels

And do you wash them in the washing machine? I'm assuming you don't use your own toothbrush to clean the flip flops. I think I would rather put them in the washing machine rather than wash them in the sink. I wash dishes in the sink and then eat off them !
This thread is crazy. Everyone washes trainers etc in the washing machine.
OP stop being crazy about putting mud in your washing machine, it gets washed off then goes down the drain.
The other option is to put in a bucket of water or something and hand wash which I would have thought more unhygienic.
Your not Hyacinth bucket are you?
psychobitchfromhell16 m ago

And do you wash them in the washing machine? I'm assuming you don't use …And do you wash them in the washing machine? I'm assuming you don't use your own toothbrush to clean the flip flops. I think I would rather put them in the washing machine rather than wash them in the sink. I wash dishes in the sink and then eat off them !

Yes. I put the dog towels in the washing machine but in their own wash, not with our clothes. I wash our towels separately as i dont like the idea of them being washed with our clothes which are dirty.

i use a tooth brush dedicated to cleaning flip flops and i use a washing bowl dedicated to washing flip flops in the garden
mutley1

Yes. I put the dog towels in the washing machine but in their own wash, … Yes. I put the dog towels in the washing machine but in their own wash, not with our clothes. I wash our towels separately as i dont like the idea of them being washed with our clothes which are dirty.i use a tooth brush dedicated to cleaning flip flops and i use a washing bowl dedicated to washing flip flops in the garden

Life's too short. Put the flip flops in with the dog towels. Chuck the trainers in while you are at it. Sorted!
psychobitchfromhell34 m ago

Life's too short. Put the flip flops in with the dog towels. Chuck the …Life's too short. Put the flip flops in with the dog towels. Chuck the trainers in while you are at it. Sorted!

Hey. I like this idea of putting the flip flops in with the dog towels. I only wear the flip flops inside the house so they arent as dirty as the trainers. I am not puttting any trainers in the washing machine as they have been every where. I clean my trainers with a tooth brush as well. Lol.
mutley1

Hey. I like this idea of putting the flip flops in with the dog towels. I … Hey. I like this idea of putting the flip flops in with the dog towels. I only wear the flip flops inside the house so they arent as dirty as the trainers. I am not puttting any trainers in the washing machine as they have been every where. I clean my trainers with a tooth brush as well. Lol.

You have serious issues! You need to get one of those footbath things they make you go through in swimming pools
mutley1

Hey. I like this idea of putting the flip flops in with the dog towels. I … Hey. I like this idea of putting the flip flops in with the dog towels. I only wear the flip flops inside the house so they arent as dirty as the trainers. I am not puttting any trainers in the washing machine as they have been every where. I clean my trainers with a tooth brush as well. Lol.

And where have your dogs been? Everywhere I would guess, rolled around on the floor outside and in, sniffed pee covered trees/ other dogs rears but you are happy to wash the towels you clean them with in the washing machine but not your shoes. You seriously must have ocd or something. If i was your husband I would tel you to get help and wash my shoes in the machine and if you don't like it you can by another one (with your own money) to use for yourself.
mutley1

Are you crazy? I dont them in the shower with me. They are dirty!

You need to have a word with yourself regarding what's clean and dirty. Having flip flops in the shower is in no way dirty!
I think you have a different definition of dirty to most people.
I can't imagine how they would get dirty in the first place if they are only being used indoors without your house is a pig sty or your feet are always dirty to start with.

So your washing machine is allowed to wash towels which have wiped off all the mud, faeces, urine and host of nasties your dogs have been into put not a pair of what can only be pretty clean flip flops?
God help you if you have kids and you have breast milk, urine, faeces and vomit covered clothes to clean.
How do your flip flops get that dirty if they don't go outside?
darlodge11 m ago

How do your flip flops get that dirty if they don't go outside?

i wear the flip flops in the summer so the sole of my feet sweat which makes the flip flop dirty. the floors get cleaned once a week so in the mean time dust gathers and dog hairs. dirt also comes off shoes in the house as my husband has a habit of wearing shoes into the house and doesn't always change out of them immediately he gets in.

i moan at him but i can't get him to change this habit. i always take my shoes off immediately i get into the house, and i don't even step beyond the door mat with my shoes.
I don't mean to be rude but I think you perhaps have an issue with being overly cleanly. I also feel bad for your husband. If my wife tried to tell me not to do something as remotely innocuous as putting my trainers in the washing machine I would have to politely laugh in her face. Sorry.

As for the flip flops, wash them in the sink with soap and water? I have never washed a pair in my life but then I don't wear them often.

Wet wipes are great for cleaning, EVERYTHING, I find.

Good luck!
Feel sorry your your husband. Not only under the thumb with filthy trainers, but he has to put up with the smell from your flip-flops stink
It's incredible how he can keep such a pathetic thread going for so long.

Doffs cap.
I always put my flip flops in the washing machine. Converse too.
I'm a hairy chested man. I don't wear flip flops or sandals
Instead of tooth brush use a 10cm or bigger srubbing brush.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants