Groups
    EXPIRED

Do you have a Canon iP4500 printer?

I know this is a long-shot, but the print head on my Canon iP4500 has gone wrong and I need a new one.

(It prints very faint horizontal white lines all across the pictures, and nothing I do can cure this.)

The price of a new print head is ridiculous.

I wondered if any kind person who no longer needs their iP4500 would consider letting me have the print head, assuming of course that it is OK.

Obviously I would pay p&p and any other reasonable charge, if necessary.

Thanks for reading this - and fingers crossed!

11 Comments

I've had 3 Canon printer over the last 2 years and they all did this, a new head lasted less than 3 months !!
    I think they have a problem they're keeping quite about . . .

steve1221;5765125

I've had 3 Canon printer over the last 2 years and they all did this, a … I've had 3 Canon printer over the last 2 years and they all did this, a new head lasted less than 3 months !!I think they have a problem they're keeping quite about . . .

+1 I have a 2500 and can see the same.

Original Poster

steve1221;5765125

I think they have a problem they're keeping quiet about . . .

I am inclined to agree with you.

My last Canon developed the same fault.

And my daughter's Canon MP210 is doing the same after about 9 months.

Yet when I spoke to a pleasant man at Canon Support, he expressed surprise that such a thing should be happening, as though he had never heard of it before!

Canon suggest carrying out Deep Cleaning to cure similar problems. Yeah, done that - all it does is force ink through the nozzles, using loads of your very expensive ink!

Some people believe it could be due to dried ink clogging the print head nozzles, particularly if the printer isn't used regularly. The solution, some say, is to remove the print head, take out the cartridges, then soak the nozzles (the shiny lilttle long bits at the bottom - not the electrical contacts!) in hot distilled water to get rid of the dried ink. (The Canon man suggested the same thing.) Well, I have done this repeatedly, until the water was absolutely clear, indicating that there was no ink clogging the nozzles. But it hasn't cured the problem. :x

I did the same thing. Left it soaking for hours, changing the water, even tried using ink cleaning solution and leaving the head in that. No change.
    As you say doing a deep clean makes no difference other then costing a packet.

I switched to Brother and haven't had a problem since.

I have had the same problem with my iP5000 and soaked the nozels it in boiling water then get some kind of presurised air and give it a blast with that it worked on mine another tip is dont turn the printer off for some reason this stops the ink drying out.Good luck
    Squashy1

I would try soaking it in Isopropyl alcohol, water isn't gonna dissolve heavy ink deposits also Isopropyl will not harm electrical parts.

I have had many canon printers over the years and never had an issue.

Are you using genuine inks or non-genuine?

I certainly tried Isopropyl alcohol. Leaving it soaking for minutes, hours or even over night. Did nothing.

This is using Canon ink, which they say has a special ingredient to stop head clog !

I'm not even sure it a clogging issue anyway, pages print fine with no bits missing from letters etc. Its almost like the ink (and only the black ink) is leaking out very slightly. . .

I don't believe it is a cartridge / nozzle problem as the lines are always equidistant and constant.

If it were an ink dispensing problem wouldn't the lines be random.

Original Poster

Celticsun;5765720

I would try soaking it in Isopropyl alcohol, water isn't gonna dissolve … I would try soaking it in Isopropyl alcohol, water isn't gonna dissolve heavy ink deposits also Isopropyl will not harm electrical parts.I have had many canon printers over the years and never had an issue.Are you using genuine inks or non-genuine?

I only use genuine Canon inks.

You say you have never experienced this problem. It would assist if you can please tell us:
    (a) Do you use your printer a lot, thereby not giving the nozzles chance to clog? (I don't use mine a lot and wondered if that might be the cause.)
    (b) It is suggested above that the problem might not occur if the printer is never switched off. Do you leave yours on permanently?

Thanks in anticipation of reply.

renard;5767718

I only use genuine Canon inks.You say you have never experienced this … I only use genuine Canon inks.You say you have never experienced this problem. It would assist if you can please tell us:(a) Do you use your printer a lot, thereby not giving the nozzles chance to clog? (I don't use mine a lot and wondered if that might be the cause.)(b) It is suggested above that the problem might not occur if the printer is never switched off. Do you leave yours on permanently?Thanks in anticipation of reply.

Don't use mine much at all anymore, and its off at the wall when not using it.

I have 2, an i865 and IP6700d
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread415414090
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764372
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?32176
      4. Deleting chats on Facebook Messenger89

See more discussions