Do you have a Hikvision nvr?

Posted 15th Oct
I want to buy some cheap poe Hikvision cameras from China. Am I correct to assume that I will be able to do all the motion detection settings through the nvr? So even if the camera gui is in Chinese it won't matter.

At the moment I'm using cheap Chinese onvif cameras and despite my best efforts I can't get to the gui's - virtual host links don't work. This is a problem because we had a filthy toe rag (not him but another one) prowling around our gardens and the cameras didn't alert me.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
I don't think there is any issue with having a Hikvision camera in Chinese GUI (especially if you have a Hikvision NVR); most of the settings could be defined in the NVR, and the alarms are managed by the NVR.
I run non-Hikvision cameras (from several manufacturers) on a Hikvision NVR. I've never had issues with getting the video stream from these cameras into the NVR. On the other hand I can't make the motion detection to work. The NVR has several types of alarms and for some it warns that the camera is not compatible. It's not a huge problem as they record 24/7, but in time I'm going to change them to Hikvision only.
TobyZ15/10/2019 20:54

I don't think there is any issue with having a Hikvision camera in Chinese …I don't think there is any issue with having a Hikvision camera in Chinese GUI (especially if you have a Hikvision NVR); most of the settings could be defined in the NVR, and the alarms are managed by the NVR.I run non-Hikvision cameras (from several manufacturers) on a Hikvision NVR. I've never had issues with getting the video stream from these cameras into the NVR. On the other hand I can't make the motion detection to work. The NVR has several types of alarms and for some it warns that the camera is not compatible. It's not a huge problem as they record 24/7, but in time I'm going to change them to Hikvision only.

Thanks for that. I think I'd like to be alerted as soon as the camera spots an intruder. Some people on other forums claim to have onvif motion detection but I can't even get into the cameras. With hindsight I wish I had gone for Dahua. Their cameras are cheaper.
I use a couple of Hikvision NVRs at work with Hikvision cameras.
If your kit supports iVMS-4200 (Windows app) then you can do the motion detection on there, or alternatively you can do it via the NVR web address. I can find out if the NVR gui on the server does motion detection tomorrow if that helps.

BTW this is for 12 and 32 channel NVR's. I'm not sure if the home kit is different or if the GUI has changed in the last few years
Edited by: "drasim" 15th Oct
radium15/10/2019 21:04

This is a problem because we had a filthy toe rag (not him but another …This is a problem because we had a filthy toe rag (not him but another one) prowling around our gardens and the cameras didn't alert me.

Confusing the prowler for a cat will likely offer a more productive deterrent amazon.co.uk/pel…4W/
drasim15/10/2019 21:05

I use a couple of Hikvision NVRs at work with Hikvision cameras. If your …I use a couple of Hikvision NVRs at work with Hikvision cameras. If your kit supports iVMS-4200 (Windows app) then you can do the motion detection on there, or alternatively you can do it via the NVR web address. I can find out if the NVR gui on the server does motion detection tomorrow if that helps.BTW this is for 12 and 32 channel NVR's. I'm not sure if the home kit is different or if the GUI has changed in the last few years

Thanks for your input. I'm using iVMS-4500 but that doesn't help. What I'm trying to do is to use the cameras own motion detection to email me thus bypassing the nvr. But the 8 channel nvr changes the ip and gateway, I think, so that neither sadp nor onvif device manager can get to the camera gui.
"virtual host links don't work"
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait; NO !!!! I tried using them in the past and they don't work. Sorry for not reading carefully.
Don't even spend your time.

If you want to access them, do what I did:
- use one LAN (not WAN) of your NVR and connect it directly to your router. In this way you can have access to both the cameras and the NVR.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 15th Oct
Here in details what I did:
- To access both the cameras webservers and NVR interface, I set NVR LAN to 192.168.55.101 (whatever private address). Connect one LAN port of the NVR to Router. Set in router DHCP condition to give 192.168.55.101 to the device having the MAC of the NVR LAN interface. Connect the remaining 7 available PoE ports to cameras. Connect WAN to the 8th camera (of course, no PoE).
I wasn't keen in letting those cameras out, so I set manual IPs in each cameras, applied rules MAC/IP in the router and blacklisted those MAC to access the WAN of the router.

- In the end I went on another route. I kept the NVR LAN as before, used the 8th PoE to connect to the 8th camera, then connecting the WAN to router. I haven't opened any ports excepting for one for VPN.
Activate HikConnect and start a VPN server on my router. I can see the footage either through HikConnect, or iVMS app by connecting locally to my VPN server. If I don't buy Hikvision cameras, I'm going to solve the issue with the alarms by using a network of PIR sensors powered from mains and transmitting wireless to a sonoff bridge (which will alert me if there is activity, and then I can access the cameras, either via HikConnect or iVMS+VPN).
If your NVR has input Alarms, then you can connect the common wireless PIR sensors to these inputs via cheap wireless relays.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 15th Oct
Yes a DS-7104N-SNI

everything works perfectly, but it does not have a PoE switch on it (I already had a PoE switch anyway) it has 1 ethernet port. Motion detection works fine and it's dirt cheap (I paid £50 for it) and i've had it 3 years now without a fault. The web browser plugins are a bit crappy though, and for me at least only work in IE but I don't mind as I use i-vms software instead of a browser.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants