Do you have a TV license or not?

Posted 23rd Jun 2020
I’ve cut our Ariel and zip tied it. got rid of the tv license as i don’t watch anything on any of the channels. doesn’t interest me one bit I’m 28 years old ( M ) have a partner and daughter who really only watch stuff either on amazon prime, Netflix, or Disney. I also have Apple TV + free for 1 year. If you do or don’t what is your reason for it? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I have a licence as I still watch sky channels,

its rather infuriating for me
I get that people like bbc output, but it's people like me who are paying for their "fantastic value TV" it's subsidised by others

It already shows a tonne of adverts for its own stuff so why can't it show adverts for products?

And before I get grief, this isn't critical like the NHS or education, it's "entertainment", could you imagine the uproar if a new law was passed that you had to give sky £150 if you watched the BBC, or had to pay asda £150 if you used tesco or had to pay Vue cinema £150 if you used odeon

Make it fairer and either show adverts or make it subscription that way you can still have the BBC if you want it and not if you don't.

Oh and one last thing, the BBC keeps saying how it produces world class stuff, well let's see if it does or not on an even keel, I get the feeling they are petrified of an even competition.

This was a party political broadcast from the s club 7 party
Edited by: "nopartylikeansclubparty" 24th Jun
We have and always have. I suppose there's just something about broadcast tv that we enjoy, like flicking through seeing what's on; happening upon something you wouldn't otherwise have seen; watching a film that is being shown. Sure you can choose what channel to watch from what's being shown, which is essentially the same as choosing what to watch from a streaming service, but tv channels are interesting because they are always being broadcast, you don't need to choose something first. But for all I know streaming services could be similar to flicking tv channels now, as soon as you highlight something it starts showing/previewing
It's nice not to have everything coming through the internet.
I had de-ja-vu while writing this
You cut Ariel the mermaid???? You !!

Stopped paying it years ago as I never watched live TV. Previous reason - only watch DVDs and non BBC channels. Today's reason - streaming apps. Funny how you get people moaning about paying the licence fee for whatever reasons, and yet religiously pay it annually. Just stop paying it already.
I do still pay a license as my wife loves eastenders and a few other channels but i rearly watch live TV.
My opinion on the BBC used to be that it was a national treasure but since brexit, trump and other political matters; even down to technology with their love for Apple. I no longer believe they are fair and neutral company.
They should reduce costs massively or be a subscription based model, otherwise the end is in sight
57 Comments
I still pay for my license as I randomly still like to watch live tv and bbc iplayer.....if I only watched through streaming apps...I wouldn’t bother paying for one(y)
I don't, just got rid of it. Same reason as you, don't watch live TV, streaming services meet my families needs. I can live without iPlayer.
Edited by: "RadiantDuck" 23rd Jun
I may watch live TV but do not have a licence and haven’t for years.
I got rid of Sky completely (box, cables, dish all gone) last November and have being using a Roku 4K stick every since. The thing is I really like my F1 and as the only way to watch a race in the UK legally, is live as the races aren’t on catchup, I still begrudgingly have the license so I can watch it via nowtv when on. If it wasn’t for that I would have cancelled it ages ago.
You cut Ariel the mermaid???? You !!

Stopped paying it years ago as I never watched live TV. Previous reason - only watch DVDs and non BBC channels. Today's reason - streaming apps. Funny how you get people moaning about paying the licence fee for whatever reasons, and yet religiously pay it annually. Just stop paying it already.
We have and always have. I suppose there's just something about broadcast tv that we enjoy, like flicking through seeing what's on; happening upon something you wouldn't otherwise have seen; watching a film that is being shown. Sure you can choose what channel to watch from what's being shown, which is essentially the same as choosing what to watch from a streaming service, but tv channels are interesting because they are always being broadcast, you don't need to choose something first. But for all I know streaming services could be similar to flicking tv channels now, as soon as you highlight something it starts showing/previewing
It's nice not to have everything coming through the internet.
I had de-ja-vu while writing this
I have a TV licence, I watch a reasonable amount of TV, all taped, never 'live'. Although, I often wait for 15 mins if the channel has adverts and then I can whizz through them. I think I get fair value from the TV licence, however I only have one because it's a legal requirement for my style of viewing, doesn't mean I'm super happy about it.
Nope, no licence for over a year and don’t plan to have one ever again. As per landros1
Edited by: "Allsorts2121" 24th Jun
Pandamansays24/06/2020 00:57

I have a TV licence, I watch a reasonable amount of TV, all taped, never …I have a TV licence, I watch a reasonable amount of TV, all taped, never 'live'. Although, I often wait for 15 mins if the channel has adverts and then I can whizz through them. I think I get fair value from the TV licence, however I only have one because it's a legal requirement for my style of viewing, doesn't mean I'm super happy about it.

I do the 15 minute thing to
last 5-6~ years I've not bothered and declared the (current and last) house as not needing one. I don't watch/record any live tv (and not had owt plugged into aerial) so only thing I miss that I'd want to watch is online BBC iplayer for the odd tv show and movie - any good series i either own or you can legally get on other UK catch-up channels (though i rarely bother with them either, just not a TV watcher).

Not against it or anything, BBC gets my full respect and I read their news website daily. This isn't so much a money saving thing as having zero interest in any sort of telly - I'd still encourage peeps to support the beeb if they watch it's content rather than resort to 'hacks' or avoidance.

Had this conversation recently with friends and they didn't believe TV license is limited to live content and any BBC catch-up and another who made the declaration (as he streams everything) but has been visited once and had several letters about it. I've never been inspected or had letters/emails, though I've not used BBC content I shouldn't have.
Paying for the last 3 years, but i couldnt afford this year so i decided to change my routines and avoid live tv. Netflix, youtube, nowtv deals as alternatives.
I have a licence as I still watch sky channels,

its rather infuriating for me
I get that people like bbc output, but it's people like me who are paying for their "fantastic value TV" it's subsidised by others

It already shows a tonne of adverts for its own stuff so why can't it show adverts for products?

And before I get grief, this isn't critical like the NHS or education, it's "entertainment", could you imagine the uproar if a new law was passed that you had to give sky £150 if you watched the BBC, or had to pay asda £150 if you used tesco or had to pay Vue cinema £150 if you used odeon

Make it fairer and either show adverts or make it subscription that way you can still have the BBC if you want it and not if you don't.

Oh and one last thing, the BBC keeps saying how it produces world class stuff, well let's see if it does or not on an even keel, I get the feeling they are petrified of an even competition.

This was a party political broadcast from the s club 7 party
Edited by: "nopartylikeansclubparty" 24th Jun
Cancelled 2 years ago, no problem since. There will be more and more repeats on rest of year now too
16 years license free!

One thing that used to annoy me about live tv was you ended up watching utter tripe just because it was on.

Far too many good quality shows and movies that aren't on UK tv to waste time watching Big Brother/Eastenders etc..
11 years license free
I have one but my brother hasn't had one for a few years now.
Went to the BBC website copied there get out clause, no live TV, IPlayer etc.

Pasted it into an email, sent it to them and cancelled my Direct Debit.

I really only watch UHD Blurays, Blurays, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+.
Edited by: "TheBiker" 24th Jun
Yes. Well worth it.
I have one, but we do still watch some BBC programmes live so I'm squarely in the 'need a TV licence' category. However it is a kick in the teeth that it's £150 a year, when I pay about two thirds of that for Netflix and get infinitely more out of it.

They seem to be making plans to come into the present day with a lot of things, but the licensing model is still in the dark ages.
not for last 6yrs!
Watch a lot of sport so for me the licence fee is still well worth it.
Edited by: "np85" 24th Jun
Not for the last five years and rarely missed it. Got it back for the World Cup and then cancelled again after the semi final. We get all we need from Netflix and NowTV and all for cheaper than the licence cost
If you find you're only interested in US content then have you considered moving over there? You might find it more enjoyable.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 24th Jun
Whose asking
For me its about the BBC, there most recent statement

"The BBC has set itself a mandatory target - 20% of off-screen talent must come from under-represented groups.
That includes those with a disability or from a BAME or disadvantaged socio-economic background."

They are no longer employing exclusively the best people for the jobs, why would I want to be funding something that is already something I'm not interested in but also second rate.

You fund the BBC etc and have no say in it! Nah i will leave the license fee to others to pay!
Edited by: "groenleader" 24th Jun
Really.. You guys dont pay?? I have been paying for god know how many past years and I was told I need to have tv license even if I was watching any live shows even if they are not on bbc channels.
I have amazon fire stick and netflix and we dont really watch bbc or bbc iplayer so do I need to write to tv licensing agency that I dont require tv licence anymore?
My license is expering at the end of this month so please let me know how I can avoid paying £150.Thanks
Prettyfacesnunseenplaces24/06/2020 11:49

Really.. You guys dont pay?? I have been paying for god know how many past …Really.. You guys dont pay?? I have been paying for god know how many past years and I was told I need to have tv license even if I was watching any live shows even if they are not on bbc channels.I have amazon fire stick and netflix and we dont really watch bbc or bbc iplayer so do I need to write to tv licensing agency that I dont require tv licence anymore?My license is expering at the end of this month so please let me know how I can avoid paying £150.Thanks

Just don’t pay again. The people who come round to your door lie and just want their commission.
We have no TV, No BBC iplayer, we don't watch anything live - the odd on demand Youtube video. Even when away (in the old days!) if there was a TV in the hotel room I probably wouldn't put it on at all.

So no licence.
Love__Bargains24/06/2020 11:56

Just don’t pay again. The people who come round to your door lie and just w …Just don’t pay again. The people who come round to your door lie and just want their commission.

Thankyou for your reply.
I will email them I dont need one .
Just reading on tv licencing you need it if you watch live .
Thankyou for this thread @Justsuperman
groenleader24/06/2020 10:48

For me its about the BBC, there most recent statement "The BBC has set …For me its about the BBC, there most recent statement "The BBC has set itself a mandatory target - 20% of off-screen talent must come from under-represented groups.That includes those with a disability or from a BAME or disadvantaged socio-economic background."They are no longer employing exclusively the best people for the jobs, why would I want to be funding something that is already something I'm not interested in but also second rate. You fund the BBC etc and have no say in it! Nah i will leave the license fee to others to pay!

Under-represented groups. I.e. groups where the talented people are being passed over in favour of less talented people from other groups. Instead of the top 3% from one group and the top 1% from another group, they'll be hiring the top 2% from both groups.

I haven't looked into the statistics but this could well result in a slight increase in the average ability level.

Prettyfacesnunseenplaces24/06/2020 12:05

Thankyou for your reply.I will email them I dont need one .Just reading on …Thankyou for your reply.I will email them I dont need one .Just reading on tv licencing you need it if you watch live .Thankyou for this thread @Justsuperman

Live TV in the context of the government's licence fee rules means anything being broadcast so any terrestrial, cable or satellite channels and well as internet delivery of the same feeds. It doesn't currently include on demand stuff except for iPlayer.

It doesn't mean live TV in the sense of TV covering events happening right now.
EndlessWaves24/06/2020 12:43

Under-represented groups. I.e. groups where the talented people are being …Under-represented groups. I.e. groups where the talented people are being passed over in favour of less talented people from other groups. Instead of the top 3% from one group and the top 1% from another group, they'll be hiring the top 2% from both groups.

Box ticking, chance of, maybes, it sounds like a BBC weather forecast!

Time to end the BBC and terminate the license fee.

I cant imagine paying for it or advising others too!
Edited by: "groenleader" 24th Jun
I'm just coming up on a year now without a TV licence. I'll admit that I missed it in the beginning as I used to leave News 24 on in the background all the time but after a few months (and the purchase of a digital radio) I got used to it.

I put the money towards Netflix and have probably ended up watching more TV than before because of them. Even without Netflix remember that you don't need a licence if you can avoid all live TV and anything on the iPlayer. If you have a smart TV (most are these days) then you have access to a huge catalogue of Channel 4 box sets all for free, loads of ITV shows, Channel 5 shows which also includes Blaze and 5 USA etc so I can watch Storage Wars (I know!) and American Pickers till the cows come home completely free!

The BBC want to charge over 75s for a TV licence again but instead they need to make the BBC a Pay to View channel. The biggest swindle of all is having to pay the BBC to watch to watch ITV or Channel 4. How on earth can you justify charging people for a channel they don't want. We might as well charge people without gardens for the garden waste collection or charge people without cars for road tax. It's an absolute con and needs to be stopped.
I hope licence fee gets scrapped, along with BBC website and all the other left wing sites.

Love the way the BBC were trying to manipulate the govt in to relaxing the 2m rule, and now they've done that they're complaining at the risk of a 2nd wave. The service needs culling and go back to reporting the news rather than making it. I'm not allowed to meet my elderly parents with my family but I can stand shoulder to shoulder with rioters in public vandalising monuments, and govt afraid to do anything about it. Yet cummings is the one who gets the hatred.

Almost hoping India and China start nuking each other just to end it all
Edited by: "MrKrabs" 24th Jun
I do still pay a license as my wife loves eastenders and a few other channels but i rearly watch live TV.
My opinion on the BBC used to be that it was a national treasure but since brexit, trump and other political matters; even down to technology with their love for Apple. I no longer believe they are fair and neutral company.
They should reduce costs massively or be a subscription based model, otherwise the end is in sight
When the government changes the law so that you can no longer be criminalised for not paying the license fee, the non-payment rate will sky rocket.
TheBiker24/06/2020 08:15

Went to the BBC website copied there get out clause, no live TV, IPlayer …Went to the BBC website copied there get out clause, no live TV, IPlayer etc.Pasted it into an email, sent it to them and cancelled my Direct Debit.I really only watch UHD Blurays, Blurays, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+.

Did you get the 6 months upfront money back. Does that make sense? I'm on direct debit and I'm 6 months in credit as when I set it up they said that's how it is. Crooks
Edited by: "fattyflumpalump" 24th Jun
Ditched it over a year ago and have never missed it at all.
I cancelled mine about 10 years ago, and haven't regretted it. I barely watched any BBC shows anyway.

The thing that really annoys me is that I am barred from watching any other live channels. So I have to use catch-up for them (which isn't often). It's a real niggle.

The BBC seems to think it has a special right to exist 'as is', and isn't just a giant media corporation. The worrying thing is that they appear to be wanting to copy models from a few other countries, in that their funding is included in general taxation. That infuriates me and must not be allowed.
Edited by: "zuggy" 24th Jun
I've never had one since living by myself. Don't have a TV either. I just don't feel I would watch it enough to justify how much it would work out per hour. Especially when most other channels I would watch (ITV, ch4, ch5) are available on catch up free anyway. SOmetimes I see an advert online for something on the BBC that looks great and I wish I could watch on iplayer, but I just get over it. There's plenty of other options anyway!
joeyjo24/06/2020 13:26

The BBC want to charge over 75s for a TV licence again

The licence fee is a tax organised by the government like every other tax. The proceeds go towards BDUK for building broadband infrastructure and the BBC for producing UK public service content.

How it's charged and who it's charged to is not decided by the government, not the BBC. If you don't like that decision blame the government that made it.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 24th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text