Do you have kids? FREE medicines at boots

Found 16th May 2015
It's common for babies to get nappy rash and every mummy knows what nappy rash is so its pointless going to the Drs to get a prescription so you just fork out ££ to buy nappy cream.

What about the kids at school? I've spent silly amounts of money on headlice treatment..

And the calpol to cure our poorly babies.. And all the other medicines to keep our nippers well.

Well, did you know that some boots stores offer free medicines to children and adults who are eligible for free prescriptions...

Handy to know and it will save you a few bob

m.boots.com/h5/…%2F
Community Updates
23 Comments
Is this the pharmacy first scheme?
Thanks for all the info and link.
I believe that this is available at any pharmacy that is part of the "NHS Minor Ailments Scheme"
its also available for adults that would normally qualify for free prescriptions because of low income and also certsin medical conditions
Sounds like the 'minor ailments' scheme available almost everywhere...... but only certain stuff is free, very often basic items rather than something stronger/better which would still need a visit to a doctor's surgery.
Minor ailments scheme,been running for years. Be mindful that you usually have to live in the borough to use it,as they contact your gp to let them know you've used the service.
You aren't getting free drugs to stock your cupboard you are meeting with your pharmacist to discuss a current ailment only then if you are eligible and at the pharmacist's discretion will they issue a minor ailment if they think you need it.

1) it's not a request service or to stock up.
2) Calpol is black listed and only generic is given.
Edited by: "B.B" 16th May 2015
This has been shared on facebook aswell, I think everyone will be finding out but no doubt will be getting scrapped by the tories after everyone starts requesting this
This has been posted a few times in the freebie boards, thing to remember they aren't free, as tax payers we all have to pay for it in the end.

hotukdeals.com/fre…976
Edited by: "eslick" 16th May 2015
the minor ailment scheme is open to anyone as long as your primary care trust is operating it in your area.

If you're eligible for free prescriptions then you won't pay and if you're not then you will pay. its not just for those who get free prescriptions.

scheme has been running for years in my area of London pretty sure 7 years or so.
Most chemists offer this service in Scotland if not all...Although we use part of our nhs central funding to give free prescription to all this scheme saves time and money by cutting out the need for folk on the breadline using gp time to get medicine cos they dont have a fiver to spend on baby medicines...Excellent idea but if you can afford to buy it then i think u should do it to ease the NHS burden or at least pay for calpol and get the baby cream free??!! In it together people!!!
BarmyBulldog

You aren't getting free drugs to stock your cupboard you are meeting with … You aren't getting free drugs to stock your cupboard you are meeting with your pharmacist to discuss a current ailment only then if you are eligible and at the pharmacist's discretion will they issue a minor ailment if they think you need it.1) it's not a request service or to stock up.2) Calpol is black listed and only generic is given.

BarmyBulldog

You aren't getting free drugs to stock your cupboard you are meeting with … You aren't getting free drugs to stock your cupboard you are meeting with your pharmacist to discuss a current ailment only then if you are eligible and at the pharmacist's discretion will they issue a minor ailment if they think you need it.1) it's not a request service or to stock up.2) Calpol is black listed and only generic is given.

Well said Bulldog if u need it use it if you abuse we lose it so if you can afford to pay buy your own and if not use it only if you require at and not as a trolley dash around your local pharmacy
Banned
my family have been buying this for years and years.
docs stopped it in 2004.

I will ask my chemist if I remember lop
I went to three local chemists in Kingswood, Bristol, and none of them belong to the Minor Ailments Scheme ! Is there an on-line directory of participating chemists in the Bristol area ?
I think this could save me loads.
Baby070605

I think this could save me loads.

might save you loads but costs you in the long run.
covered under minor ailments scheme in NI and any pharmacy.
covered under minor ailments scheme in NI and any pharmacy
Tbh is this a good idea to be palming young kids off with medication that is clearly for fevers. It rather goes against NHS advice and i would not trust a pharmacists opinion of a fever in small child or even a adult if they have just come back from holiday or work in a high risk environment.
My my nearest partisipating pharmacy is twenty miles away no good if you haven't got a car! Why aren't all pharmacies in the scheme?]
It's common for babies to get nappy rash and every mummy knows what nappy rash is so its pointless going to the Drs to get a prescription so you just fork out ££ to buy nappy cream.
What about the kids at school? I've spent silly amounts of money on headlice treatment..
And the calpol to cure our poorly babies.. And all the other medicines to keep our nippers well.
Well, did you know that some boots stores offer free medicines to children and adults who are eligible for free prescriptions...
Handy to know and it will save you a few bob m.boots.com/h5/…%2F[/quote]
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants