Do you know much about mountain bikes?

Found 22nd Apr 2009
If so help please;

I have been offered a Claud Butler Olympus XT (Hard Tail) with Rock Shox Reba, and a Shimano XT set up, hydraulic disc brakes, etc.

06/07 model with light use - price £300 (£900 new I am told)

The above doesn't mean much to me, just want a decent bike to do a bit of mixed road and off roading.

Is this a good deal? Any help/advice appreciated and duly repped.

thanks

10 Comments

not bad

How old are the attached parts? Same age as the frame?

Depends on the condition the bike is in. You could probably get a second hand bike a lot newer.
I paid £220 for a 4 year old Scott Scale 50 2005. RRP roughly £900. Very good bikes. Asking for £300, offered £200 and they accepted £220 with me paying for postage. Heres a link to show you the specs. Disc brakes and shimano set up.
bikepedia.com/Qui…ike
Claud Butler is a good bike but personally I'd try for a newer bike.

Original Poster

Crap my mistake. It should read 06/07 model!!

Whole set up is about the same age. I am going to test drive the bike later. My mates seem to think it is well worth it, but I'm not so sure.

Lefty;5000562

Crap my mistake. It should read 06/07 model!!Whole set up is about the … Crap my mistake. It should read 06/07 model!!Whole set up is about the same age. I am going to test drive the bike later. My mates seem to think it is well worth it, but I'm not so sure.

Defo go and have a look then.
And batter the price down. I said my wife was pregnant and she was due in 4 weeks and she's not happy I was buying a bike. So I offered £200 with his £300 asking price. As you see on last post got it nearer to £200.
It seems a good deal. Clauds are a great bike

One thing though. I checked on an old bike review and someone bought the 06/07 model in 2006 for £550. I'd defo offer him less.

Doesn't appear to have been a £900 bike at 96/97. Earlier models appear to have been more expensive, but a quick search shows it should have been in the £600 - £700 range, e.g. bikeradar.com/gea…675
Price seems to suggest an earlier model or you've not been been told the correct original price?

There's a few reviews if you look on bikemagic.com/sea…ch/

This page suggests a lifetime frame warranty: comparestoreprices.co.uk/mou…asp - I'd check whether that is still valid on change of ownership.

As implied by teambintip, if it's original parts you are going to have to be replacing stuff soon.
Unless it has been serviced regularly it will be overdue a good service/lube. If you don't do your own servicing, factor in another £50 (ish) for a full shop service.

A reasonable spec, and remember everything is replaceable, but if it was my money, I wouldn't want to be paying that much second hand.

Original Poster

What about if used minimally. I am fairly sure the guy selling it has had it for 3/4 years as part of a council bike buying scheme, but has not really used it that much at all.

Do the parts degrade in storage?

Lefty;5000960

What about if used minimally. I am fairly sure the guy selling it has had … What about if used minimally. I am fairly sure the guy selling it has had it for 3/4 years as part of a council bike buying scheme, but has not really used it that much at all.Do the parts degrade in storage?

They would if was kept in dampish conditions. I'd imagine the disc brakes and chain/parts would rust slightly if not maintained. Especially if he has ridden it and not cleaned and dried it after use. All you can do is go and have a look. If you feel it's in good condition then go fo it. I'd defo bring the price down though. I feel he's asking a bit too much. Don't know if anyone else agrees.

Lefty;5000960

Do the parts degrade in storage?

Depends upon how they were stored. If it was put away damp and dirty then yes. If it was put away clean and lubed then probably no.

As I said, everything is replaceable, but some bits are more expensive that others. The expensive bits are likely to be the drivetrain and braking system.

For the drive train check the chain for stretch. If you haven't got one of these: chainreactioncycles.com/Mod…784 you can do it by measuring the distance between links (you'll have to look it up). If you don't replace the chain before it's stretched you usually need to replace the front and rear gears as well as a set, as a stretched chain wears the gears and a replacement chain won't run properly. I.e. if it's 3/4 years old on an original (stretched) chain you could be looking at replacing gears.

For the braking system, check for leaks as replacing hydraulic cable is typically £20-£30 + a bleed kit £10-£20. Different brake manufacturers recommend different maintenance periods, but it might be worth bleeding them anyway if they've never been done.

Lookup how to do a basic bike check, so you can tell if it has 'hidden' things wrong like the headset is loose, bottom bracket has wear, freewheel has play in it, hubs aren't running smoothly, etc.

Not trying to put you off, but I find that with regular use things start to need maintenance/ replacement after a couple of years. If it really has only had light use then you could be fine, but if it's a 3-4 year old bike that hasn't been properly maintained you could end up replacing every part bit by bit.
Post a comment
@
    Text