Do you know when to call 999?!

Edited by:"miacid"Found 22nd Jan
If you do great, if not or you are unsure please read below.
I'm not affiliated with the emergency services but am fed up of hearing about how many people waste there time and the costs incurred that could be easily avoided.

While everyone knows 999, 112 is the common emergency telephone service that can be dialled free of charge from most mobile telephones and, in some countries, fixed telephones in order to reach emergency services (ambulance, fire and rescue, police).]
More info here: en.wikipedia.org/wik…er)

Do you need an ambulance?

Life-threatening emergencies

Call 999 in a medical emergency – when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.

Medical emergencies can include:

More info: nhs.uk/NHS…spx

Do you need the police?
You should call 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response. For example, if:

• Your car has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood

Or to:

• Give the police information about crime in your area
  • Speak to the police about a general enquiry

You should always call 999 when it is an emergency, such as

when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby,

when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or

threatened.

More info: police.uk/con…01/

Do I need the Fire Brigade?
I can't find one site that details the info as well as the others, but please see the links below for more info:

Fire Safety at home
fireservice.co.uk/saf…ty/

List of local services
en.wikipedia.org/wik…dom

Information to provide when calling
housing.gov.ie/com…ade

(Good idea windym)
Calling the coast guard
The coast guard can be contacted via 999 from a land line of mobile and over VHF radio, more info here: nidirect.gov.uk/art…sea

General coastal safety advice here: coastguardsafety.campaign.gov.uk/

I'm happy to add more info if people have it or think anything should be changed.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
20 Comments
I do agree, however as we are an island it might be prudent to note that 999 is also for the coastguard.
doubt the people who make these calls would ever care to educate themselves or read threads like this nice idea though
mattmerch29 m ago

doubt the people who make these calls would ever care to educate …doubt the people who make these calls would ever care to educate themselves or read threads like this nice idea though

Very helpful though for people who do however. It's also up to us to inform family members, fiends and colleagues about this as well when the subject arrises if they don't already know about these numbers.

I've also known about these numbers for a while now thankfully. I'll also know who to contact if ever I fall again and split my head open like I did a few years back, I needed a few staples in my scull too, nurse in A&E put them in with no anaesthetic as well, bleedin' painful too I can tell you!
Edited by: "LemonHead" 22nd Jan
The scum that abuse the 999 service are unlikely to read this. They'll be drunk/stoned/beating up their partners or asleep as its only 3.15pm
A bit outdated the new emergency number is 0118 999 881 99 9119 753
Dial 999 for an ambulance and wait 7hrs for it to arrive, or quicker still just get someone to drive you straight to A&E(it might save your life)
webtrawler5 h, 13 m ago

Dial 999 for an ambulance and wait 7hrs for it to arrive, or quicker still …Dial 999 for an ambulance and wait 7hrs for it to arrive, or quicker still just get someone to drive you straight to A&E(it might save your life)

Or ask for the fire service as most are now attending calls as well as the ambulance as 1st responders
No list for the fire service, " jack of all trades and a master of none "
Heat added
I remember spraining my ankle last year at home, the ambulance took at least 40 minutes to arrive!

I tell ya, I could of hit the bleeding roof! I was so close to booking an uber but finally they turned up.
If it's medical and you are unsure if it's an emergency then call NHS 111 (formerly NHS Direct)

They will ask questions about your condition and assess that through a computer and if needed will pass that immediately onto a medical professional

And within minutes can arrange rapid response (paramedic) or ambulance faster than your own request.
I’d never ring 999

Always 112 as you don’t have to explain location as calling this number located you automatically
mintcondition7 h, 21 m ago

I remember spraining my ankle last year at home, the ambulance took at …I remember spraining my ankle last year at home, the ambulance took at least 40 minutes to arrive! I tell ya, I could of hit the bleeding roof! I was so close to booking an uber but finally they turned up.

I'm surprised they even turned up. An ankle sprain isn't a medical emergency. Try reading the op and stop wasting valuable emergency services time. This thread is ideal for you.
chocci53 m ago

I'm surprised they even turned up. An ankle sprain isn't a medical … I'm surprised they even turned up. An ankle sprain isn't a medical emergency. Try reading the op and stop wasting valuable emergency services time. This thread is ideal for you.

I'm glad someone fell for it.
Yes when two guys have broken into a car right outside your window and are stealing bits of it and coming back for more. (This was a long time ago when I lived in Clapton, and there was no other number to phone.)
mintcondition27 m ago

I'm glad someone fell for it.

Are you always so childish?
i remember once a fire-fighter told me they got a call to a lady stuck in a tree
they got there to meet the troubled caller who pleaded with them to rescue his parrot which was perched atop the tree and wouldn't return to its cage (no doubt one step closer to the fjords)
'er....parrot?? what exactly did you tell them on the phone?'
'I told them my bird was stuck up a tree'

true story
I phoned Vodafone through my mobile the other month by dialling 191 (Vodafone Customer Service) and for some reason I was put through to emergency services

I didn't know what to say when the call handler answered as I was naturally confused so I apologised and hung up. Checked my call logs in case I somehow managed to dial 999 instead of 191 and my log confirmed that I had dialled 191.

Needless to say, I went on to online chat after that to sort out my problem... and to raise the concern of being put through to emergency services after dialling the number for their customer service.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants