Expired

Do you need a TV License for a built in free-view TV even if you're not watching/recording live TV?

Found 31st Oct 2014
Hi,

I've recently moved into shared accomodation and I'm planning to bring my TV down with built-in freeview, however, my housemates have mentioned that if the TV can received live TV then the enforcers can fine me or I would have to cough up the TV License.

My other housemates are not contributing as they are not watching live TV, but I strongly feel that if the TV is now being watched for LIVE tv then I do not have to pay for the TV License.

I'm only using the TV for pre-recorded programmes.

48 Comments

Live TV need a licence. Pre recorded TV you don't has it playing from your hard drive

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Pre-recorded from where? If you're recording in the premises you need a … Pre-recorded from where? If you're recording in the premises you need a license, if you're watching/recording nothing live and are using it for dvd's/catchup you don't.

iPlayer/hard drive

Remove or make sure no aerial is connected

Also make sure all viewed media is not from a recorded live mode (ie recorded at time of broadcast)

You can watch Iplayer and other online channels provided it's not "live broadcast" material

Although I don't have Virgin/Sky TV I would think it's the same - you cannot record a live broadcast to watch later but if they offer an online "backup" of shows (ie watch yesterdays broadcasted tv) then this should be ok.

As others have explained or tried to - it's live (as per tv guide) programmes/shows whether watching or recording to watch later then you need a licence.

Original Poster

philphil61

Remove or make sure no aerial is connectedAlso make sure all viewed media … Remove or make sure no aerial is connectedAlso make sure all viewed media is not from a recorded live mode (ie recorded at time of broadcast)You can watch Iplayer and other online channels provided it's not "live broadcast" materialAlthough I don't have Virgin/Sky TV I would think it's the same - you cannot record a live broadcast to watch later but if they offer an online "backup" of shows (ie watch yesterdays broadcasted tv) then this should be ok.As others have explained or tried to - it's live (as per tv guide) programmes/shows whether watching or recording to watch later then you need a licence.

Is this still applicable if the TV has built in free view even if im not using it?

No you don't need a License, regardless if it's got Freeview built in and 'the enforcers can fine me' isn't true at all, no one from the 'TV Licensing 'Enforcers' have any rights to do anything.

Edited by: "Likely2" 31st Oct 2014

Have read HERE

You can have 50 TV's in your house with Freeview or not, as long as you are not watching live broadcasts then you do not have to pay for a TV licence.

A TV is no different to a PC or laptop or any other device. They can all receive live broadcasts. But, if you declare that you are not watching any live broadcasts on any device then you are fine.

However, you MUST declare. It is straight froward and takes just minutes to do online.

pcsolutions

Is this still applicable if the TV has built in free view even if im not … Is this still applicable if the TV has built in free view even if im not using it?

I don't understand.............

It does not matter if a TV has Freeview or not, if you have it plugged into an Aerial and watch live TV then you have to pay for a TV licence.

If you do not plug in an Aerial then you will not get any signal for Freeview.

Aerial = pay
No aerial = no pay as long as you only watch catch-up TV.

Original Poster

Thank you all for clearing this up.

I've declared online that the property is not being used to view/record live TV and the officers from Capita might come and do an inspection but as we live in a shared house the doors are normally locked as the other occupants go out at akward times so say if the inspector comes and cannot gain entry to my room will he apply for a court warrant as I'm preety sure that they do not issue them without proof that TV is being viewed.

Sky tv = pay also

TV inspectors cannot apply for a warrant, they also have no right of entry.

I presume I still need to pay for tv license if I am using virgin cable tv solely and have no aerial plug in at all.

Original Poster

keluar

I presume I still need to pay for tv license if I am using virgin cable … I presume I still need to pay for tv license if I am using virgin cable tv solely and have no aerial plug in at all.

Yes you definitely do as you're viewing Live TV?

If you watch a channel which is being broadcast there and then, that counts. Same with iPlayer.

Be aware tv licensing people don't operate 9-5 jobs, they can come at any time and sit and watch outside to see of the tv is being used. Just make sure no aerial is connected at all

mariefindlay

Be aware tv licensing people don't operate 9-5 jobs, they can come at any … Be aware tv licensing people don't operate 9-5 jobs, they can come at any time and sit and watch outside to see of the tv is being used. Just make sure no aerial is connected at all

and how would they know you are watching live tv from outside?

If you're recording to your hard drive then you need a licence

I haven't had a licence for over a year and this is the law:- you only need a licence to watch or record live TV. What you have or what else you do with it is no ones business and you don't have to tell anyone anything. I'm lucky I live in a big house in an area lots of posh people don't have TV's so I'm left alone now ;-)

TV licensing officers have no right to enter your property, if you watch or record live you need a licence, even with sky or virgin.

Our laws are stupid are they not. They BBC earns millions of pounds in revenue from the selling of excellent some excellent tv shows whilst the other channels make millions from adverts. I can't believe we are here in the 21st Century still having to pay a stupid licence fee. This country will tax anything they can. The licence fee should be abolished and for those who want the BBC then pay on a subscription like we do for sky or in my case I don't as I ditched sky in March.

I would still subscribe for the BBC as there are programmes I watch but to have programmes like Masterchef on BBC1 at prime time showing is a joke. I used to be a fan of Top Gear, you know the show that started off telling us about new cars but then it just ended up with the boys testing the cars that none us can afford unless we win the lottery. Who cares which is the fastest vehicle to get to Norway. I mean come on, if any of us want to go to Norway we would just go to our nearest airport and jump on a plane. Whilst in the beginning it's entertaining after a while it just becomes boring and for me seeing these three clowns seeing how many buses they can smash up in a race or who is the best at caravan conkers is just a waste of our licence fee.

Getting back to the subject of live recordings is also a joke. If I record ITV4 I need a licence. If I record ITV4+1 I don't. Who are these idiots who make up our laws. It doesn't make any difference whether you watch it live or in an hours time as you have still had the entertainment. I guess whoever came up with idea was a massive sports fan who wanted to ensure that anyone who wanted to watch a live match bought a tv licence. Also is not ITV4+1 still a live broadcast. It may be showing what was transmitting an hour ago but it's still 'live' is it not. It could drive you crazy thinking about that lol.

At one time the law said that any equipment capable of receiving television broadcasts required a licence. I guess they had to change the law to it's current format due to the internet and live tv streaming via telephone lines which the tv detector vans cannot detect.

It should be view BBC pay for licence, not require BBC don't pay, same as sky.

Try working out the amount of homes in the UK knock of a quarter and times it by the fee and tell me then if we are getting a good deal

About £50 million a week

raptorcigs

About £50 million a week

That's not a bad estimate but think you will be surprised by the following.

The information regarding revenue of tv licences is available.

The gross figure generated from tv licensing for 2014 was 3,726 million pounds. That's £71m per week. Net profit after tax was £154 million pounds. That means they are making three million pounds per week from our licence fee and STILL there is nothing on a Saturday night and we end up watching the same repeats. It really is time for the licence to be scrapped. The fee is yet another exploitation. Perhaps the BBC could pass their profits back to the nation and maybe help the old, homeless and starving. The licence fee is just another UK rip off to make the wealthy better off.

It needs so be shelved with the rest of the BBC dinosaurs

It is an unjust law! But if it went they would just tax everyone more. So what we have now is ideal IF your strong enough and able to just stop paying. For me and others the licence fee has gone and I'm not being taxed elsewhere.

I've been without a licence now for 4 years.
Everything good on TV is still available (normally the day after) on the catch up services. it just means youre not watching it as the same time as other people. That's all.
Now think to yourself is it worth paying £140 or whatever the rate is these days just so you can watch programmes on initial broadcasts?

I think its much better to pick something from the catch up services than browsing through channels trying to find something to watch.

junxs

I've been without a licence now for 4 years. Everything good on TV is … I've been without a licence now for 4 years. Everything good on TV is still available (normally the day after) on the catch up services. it just means youre not watching it as the same time as other people. That's all. Now think to yourself is it worth paying £140 or whatever the rate is these days just so you can watch programmes on initial broadcasts?I think its much better to pick something from the catch up services than browsing through channels trying to find something to watch.

personally, I think I would rather pay £140 a year and be allowed to record all the commercial channel programmes and not be forced to sit through ads on the catch up services plus watch them all a day or more late

plus I prefer to record a whole series and watch it over a few days rather than wait weekly

each to their own but I dont really begrudge the 40p per day for live tv

You don't have to suffer the adds on catch up. If you get a few ad blocking extensions on chrome you can start to watch the programme with the ad blockers off then activate them when the programme starts proper and it will skip all the other adverts ;-)

As far as I know it's complicated, some people will tell you do, other will tell you don't under specific circumstances, it's probably just better to pay but you might be able to 1, get away without them even noticing, or 2 making a case that you don't watch live tv and eventually they'll probably give up

pat915m

You don't have to suffer the adds on catch up. If you get a few ad … You don't have to suffer the adds on catch up. If you get a few ad blocking extensions on chrome you can start to watch the programme with the ad blockers off then activate them when the programme starts proper and it will skip all the other adverts ;-)

personally, I prefer to watch TV programmes on my TV rather than through a browser

Just about to sell my last TV. I use HD projectors. Got three of them. One has android built in the other two I connect a phone to, or a Chromebook. So my smallest picture size is in my bedroom and it's 72" my biggest in my living room 120" ;-)
Edited by: "pat915m" 3rd Nov 2014

Tonight's TV for me without a licence. Walking dead,Resurrection, Homeland, Downton, and a movie called Babadook. No adverts and no soaps.

I personally cannot live without live broadcasts but that is because I am autistic so need it on even if not watching for a mix of things like news, daytime tv, movies, nighttime tv so my brain keeps active.

But back to the question, no you only need a license for something live such as watching a football match as its being played on BBC for example, I think its a 2 hour window between broadcast where its considered live after that its seen as catch up so allowed.

There is one minor away around it, i.e lets say your parents is your permanent address, you could watch live tv on a laptop or portable tv as long as its battery powered, once the batteries die you cannot plug it in to charge and watch tv at same time.

BBC are trying to find ways of making you need a license for things like a mobile phone, or laptop even if you do not have a tv tuner as they claim you can watch tv on it on things like iplayer.

pat915m

Just about to sell my last TV. I use HD projectors. Got three of them. … Just about to sell my last TV. I use HD projectors. Got three of them. One has android built in the other two I connect a phone to, or a Chromebook. So my smallest picture size is in my bedroom and it's 72" my biggest in my living room 120" ;-)

cool story but totally irrelevant oO

ryouga

I personally cannot live without live broadcasts but that is because I am … I personally cannot live without live broadcasts but that is because I am autistic so need it on even if not watching for a mix of things like news, daytime tv, movies, nighttime tv so my brain keeps active.But back to the question, no you only need a license for something live such as watching a football match as its being played on BBC for example, I think its a 2 hour window between broadcast where its considered live after that its seen as catch up so allowed.There is one minor away around it, i.e lets say your parents is your permanent address, you could watch live tv on a laptop or portable tv as long as its battery powered, once the batteries die you cannot plug it in to charge and watch tv at same time.BBC are trying to find ways of making you need a license for things like a mobile phone, or laptop even if you do not have a tv tuner as they claim you can watch tv on it on things like iplayer.

wrong on every single point

chocci

wrong on every single point

Like to provide evidence of such a claim?

Tv licence is not required unless you watch or record live television. If you have a active Television package at the address Bt Vision / virgin / sky they will be aware of it and will try make you get a licence.

I don't have a licence. A officer has no authority to come into your home. Just tell them your busy and carry on with your day

ryouga

Like to provide evidence of such a claim?

Google will prove every point you made was wrong
Edited by: "chocci" 4th Nov 2014

chocci

cool story but totally irrelevant oO

You made the statement that you prefer tv over a browser. I'm just pointing out that your thinking about your tiny browser and not mine thats as big as the wall. When you hit fullscreen there is no browser anyway.

Top and bottom of it is that "ITS NOT FAIR" :-)

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions