Expired

Do you need an appointment for Tesco Opticians?

Found 5th Jul 2013
Or can you just walk in?

My OH has an eyecare voucher for glasses up to £75 which Tesco Opticians accept. We plan to go there on a Sunday afternoon.

Can we just walk in without an appointment? We already have the prescription from the eye test done locally. By the way, how long is this prescription valid for before another optician refuses to use it to make your glasses?
Community Updates
8 Comments
You should be able to just walk in if you already have the prescription to hand.
It should be valid for 2 years (unless otherwise mentioned on it somewhere).
Why not find an independent optician who can provide far greater services for eye care?
I have worked in an independent opticians and agree with the above that not only are they sometimes cheaper, but in general provide a much better quality of service than the 'giants'.
Original Poster
think

Why not find an independent optician who can provide far greater services … Why not find an independent optician who can provide far greater services for eye care?

the eyecare voucher that we have states the opticians that will accept the voucher and they are mainly the big opticians.
I used Tesco once, I wouldn't ever go back. They were a total shambles, couldn't find the paperwork, half the equipment didn't work and they kept saying 'you'll have to come back next week to have that part of the test done' !!!

And when I went back a few months later to get a copy of my prescription (having called them and been told I HAD to go in as they couldn't give to me over the phone or post it), I'm told that they have no opticians in store today and I'd have to come back another day!!!

I didn't...
Original Poster
steve1221

I used Tesco once, I wouldn't ever go back. They were a total shambles, … I used Tesco once, I wouldn't ever go back. They were a total shambles, couldn't find the paperwork, half the equipment didn't work and they kept saying 'you'll have to come back next week to have that part of the test done' !!!And when I went back a few months later to get a copy of my prescription (having called them and been told I HAD to go in as they couldn't give to me over the phone or post it), I'm told that they have no opticians in store today and I'd have to come back another day!!!I didn't...

would they be ok if i already have the prescription from somewhere else and just want to order the glasses?
I never had them make a pair, but judging them by the fact they messed everything else up I'd think you'd have a good chance of the first pair they make being wrong in some area.
If you go with them be prepared to have to go back a few times before they get it right...
Original Poster
steve1221

I never had them make a pair, but judging them by the fact they messed … I never had them make a pair, but judging them by the fact they messed everything else up I'd think you'd have a good chance of the first pair they make being wrong in some area.If you go with them be prepared to have to go back a few times before they get it right...

i've been googling reviews on them and it is not great but it seems that some stores are great and others are not. it may be store specific as to whether you get a good service or not.

then i googled specsavers and again they get terrible reviews but we have used them for the last 10 years and have always found them to provide great service at great prices so it may be that we have been to a good store.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions