Do you own the fence on your left or right?

Found 25th Mar
My parents have always said you own the fence on your left when looking at your house from the front, Google seems to say it is the right!

What are people's thoughts please on which side of the garden you own the fence?

I have looked at the title plan and it doesn't mention it.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments
Depends on your deeds
47 Comments
Depends on your deeds
Don’t want to own any fences. No fence. No maintenance costs. Simple. As.
Usully it's the left as you face your house but like Bertz said, it does depend on the deeds.
Original Poster
Bertz994 m ago

Depends on your deeds

It doesn't seem to mention anything about boundaries or fences in the deeds
Original Poster
squiff1 m ago

Usully it's the left as you face your house but like Bertz said, it does …Usully it's the left as you face your house but like Bertz said, it does depend on the deeds.

It doesn't seem to mention anything about it in the deeds. Does that mean I should take it that it is the fence on the left?
Both, but I have no neighbors!
Lilrach4 m ago

It doesn't seem to mention anything about it in the deeds. Does that mean …It doesn't seem to mention anything about it in the deeds. Does that mean I should take it that it is the fence on the left?

If it's not mentioned in the deeds, you need to ask your solicitor or the local council. If they don't know, then it's safe to assume you're responsible for the fence on the left as you face your house. You could also discuss it with your neighbours (if they're approachable).
Edited by: "squiff" 25th Mar
Original Poster
squiff9 m ago

If it's not mentioned in the deeds, you need to ask your solicitor or the …If it's not mentioned in the deeds, you need to ask your solicitor or the local council. If they don't know, then it's safe to assume you're responsible for the fence on the left as you face your house. You could also discuss it with your neighbours (if they're approachable).

Thank you for replying so quickly. I will get in touch with them tomorrow. We have just bought the property and the next door neighbour doesn't seem to want to talk to us. It is a small fence which the previous owners seemed to like as they talked to each other but it is rotten at the bottom. I would also prefer more privacy
We've had properties where it's the left, others on the right and sometime you may or may not own the rear. Our solicitors have always advised us during the conveyancing stage of contracts
Original Poster
darlodge10 m ago

We've had properties where it's the left, others on the right and sometime …We've had properties where it's the left, others on the right and sometime you may or may not own the rear. Our solicitors have always advised us during the conveyancing stage of contracts

I wonder why our solicitor didn't mention anything. It is our first purchase and a very big learning curve!
Rule of thumb in my area is the garden which has the posts of the fence owns the fence.

i.e. looking like ;

33513901-ztz7U.jpg

Courtesy when erecting the fence to give the 'good side' to the neighbour.

If both parties have shared the cost, it would normally be double-sided and could look like ;

33513901-CkejP.jpg

But best to speak to the neighbour who it affects, if your looking to replace it and it belongs to them they may not be happy..
andynicol7 m ago

Rule of thumb in my area is the garden which has the posts of the fence …Rule of thumb in my area is the garden which has the posts of the fence owns the fence.i.e. looking like ;[Image] Courtesy when erecting the fence to give the 'good side' to the neighbour.If both parties have shared the cost, it would normally be double-sided and could look like ;[Image] But best to speak to the neighbour who it affects, if your looking to replace it and it belongs to them they may not be happy..

Yeah that was my understanding too; and I have the post-side on both of mine as I'm on the end of the row.
Left side we own, deeds also say left side.
In your title deeds there should have been an aerial view of the layout of the road and your property ‘highlighted’, there should also have been a ‘map’ of the property with the boundary outlined and the fences belonging to you clearly marked by lines or arrows. Sometimes you also own the fence at the bottom as well as a side fence. The ‘maps’ are usually downloaded from ordnance survey maps. It may not be written amongst the title deeds if drawings have been attached.
It depends, my dad owns none of his, whereas we own our left
andynicol25th Mar

Rule of thumb in my area is the garden which has the posts of the fence …Rule of thumb in my area is the garden which has the posts of the fence owns the fence.i.e. looking like ;[Image] Courtesy when erecting the fence to give the 'good side' to the neighbour.If both parties have shared the cost, it would normally be double-sided and could look like ;[Image] But best to speak to the neighbour who it affects, if your looking to replace it and it belongs to them they may not be happy..

Yep, isn't it just nice how you pay for the fence and the neighbour gets the 'good side', that never made sense to me and never will.
I share mine with 6 (4 rear, 2 side on) it's a bloody nightmare!
Edited by: "OneGloveOnTheFence" 26th Mar
Usually the left but I paid half with our elderly neighbour on the right
@andynicol we have Harris rail to the left of our property , I have the nice side and the neighbours have the rails side and I paid for it
Edited by: "Bradleigh" 26th Mar
Neither, we only own the fence at the bottom. Neighbours replaced the fences on either side before we bought. Doubt the previous owners paid any money towards it as they didn't invest in the house.
RossD896 h, 57 m ago

But do you have any neighbours?

No, I'm American!
If you look at the site plan included with your deed, it should should any boundaries you own. From this site - "The conveyance deed (or the transfer deed) may express in words the boundaries for which the owner of the property is responsible. If it does not then the conveyance (or the transfer) plan may employ the convention of applying a T-markto those boundaries for which responsibility rests with the owner of the property (as in the diagram at right). If responsibility for the boundary is shared (for example, in the case of a "party fence wall") then an H-mark (effectively two T-marks mirrored on the boundary line) is the conventional symbol that is used."
as above poster says, look at the drawings in the deed for the T mark. i have properties where this is not shown and no one knows whose fence belongs to whom, not even the council. it becomes complicated when the fence needs maintenance as who is responsible.

i have paid for fence repairs because no one wants to own the fence when it falls down and i need the divide to stay up so i just paid for the works as the neighbour was quite happy to leave it fallen down.
Fences, appearance of: Must the smooth side of my neighbour's fence face towards me? My neighbour is in the process of erecting his new fence, and he has started putting it up so that the smooth side faces towards his own house. Is he allowed to do this?

There is no law that says the smooth side of the fence should face the neighbour.

If your neighbour pays for a fence that he erects on his own land (even if he builds the fence so that the outer face of it, as seen from his land, runs along the boundary) then he is entitled to choose the style and colour of the fence, as well as whether he places the smooth side of the fence to face in towards his own house or out to face your house.

source here for all questions on boundaries, which you may find helpful

boundary-problems.co.uk/bou…tml
Edited by: "mutley1" 26th Mar
Lilrach14 h, 36 m ago

It doesn't seem to mention anything about boundaries or fences in the …It doesn't seem to mention anything about boundaries or fences in the deeds

Are you in England or Scotland? In Scotland, if the titles are silent, then you own up to the mid-point of the fence, so in effect you would own it in common with your neighbours on both sides.
Our deeds state it's the right side as you look at it, makes no logical sense as the fence that side carries on along our neighbours garden as his is longer than ours . It wouldn't be possible to replace "our " section without leaving his with no support . ( it's not a wooden fence that side) .

In turn turn the left side which isn't ours needed replacing last year and we paid for the whole thing , nice neighbours but the lady is a pensioner and her daughter her carer and we knew they couldn't afford to have it done.It's positioned dead along the boundary and we have agreed all future upkeep of it while they live there. My one concession having spent the best part of £800.on it is that I get the side facing me that I want
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 26th Mar
maccy121 h, 2 m ago

Yep, isn't it just nice how you pay for the fence and the neighbour gets …Yep, isn't it just nice how you pay for the fence and the neighbour gets the 'good side', that never made sense to me and never will.

More and more people now have the good side facing them if they paided for it.
squiff23 h, 53 m ago

Usully it's the left as you face your house but like Bertz said, it does …Usully it's the left as you face your house but like Bertz said, it does depend on the deeds.

That doesn't answer the question at all buddy, you just say its 50 / 50
andynicol23 h, 16 m ago

It's not courtesy to give your neighbour the good side at all, the fence erector will give them that side to stop people using the fence to climb into your garden for security that's all
cliosport654 m ago

That doesn't answer the question at all buddy, you just say its 50 / 50 …That doesn't answer the question at all buddy, you just say its 50 / 50

Erm, no I didn't.
Bradleigh22 h, 1 m ago

Usually the left but I paid half with our elderly neighbour on the …Usually the left but I paid half with our elderly neighbour on the right@andynicol we have Harris rail to the left of our property , I have the nice side and the neighbours have the rails side and I paid for it

Enjoy your nice side but I hope you don't give any intruder easy access to your garden
cliosport6519 m ago

It's not courtesy to give your neighbour the good side at all, the fence …It's not courtesy to give your neighbour the good side at all, the fence erector will give them that side to stop people using the fence to climb into your garden for security that's all

thieves can climb the fence on either side. a fence is only 6 foot tall so it is not difficult for someone to climb over if they really want to. or they can just kick it down
cliosport6547 m ago

Enjoy your nice side but I hope you don't give any intruder easy access to …Enjoy your nice side but I hope you don't give any intruder easy access to your garden

Both properties have 6ft gates at the front , the fence is between the houses , we don't have issues with intruders luckily
mutley131 m ago

thieves can climb the fence on either side. a fence is only 6 foot tall …thieves can climb the fence on either side. a fence is only 6 foot tall so it is not difficult for someone to climb over if they really want to. or they can just kick it down

I'm not sure if our Harris rail fence is oak or not
We had it put up in 1991 and it still looks good
Yep , 1991 that's not a typo
A decent fence unlike what's put up nowadays
Bradleigh33 m ago

I'm not sure if our Harris rail fence is oak or notWe had it put up in …I'm not sure if our Harris rail fence is oak or notWe had it put up in 1991 and it still looks goodYep , 1991 that's not a typo A decent fence unlike what's put up nowadays

fences nowadays are made very cheaply. i am female and not very strong, but i am sure even with a hammer, i could knock a hole in a fence big enough for me to climb through without any issue or just knock one of the fence panels down.
TheRatedSeller25th Mar

Don’t want to own any fences. No fence. No maintenance costs. Simple. As.

Amazing advice - tut
mutley110 h, 17 m ago

thieves can climb the fence on either side. a fence is only 6 foot tall …thieves can climb the fence on either side. a fence is only 6 foot tall so it is not difficult for someone to climb over if they really want to. or they can just kick it down

Good luck trying to climb a fence with the flat side not that easy if the fence is 2m on the other hand if the fence is the rail side round its well easy
mutley19 h, 15 m ago

fences nowadays are made very cheaply. i am female and not very strong, …fences nowadays are made very cheaply. i am female and not very strong, but i am sure even with a hammer, i could knock a hole in a fence big enough for me to climb through without any issue or just knock one of the fence panels down.

Using a hammer would draw attention and it won't be as easy as you think trying to make a hole big enough
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants