Groups

Do you recommend a Contract or PAYG mobile phone for teenager.

Whats the average price nowadays? It needs enough GBs for up to 3 different apps i.e. WhatsApp Instagram and Facebook. Thank you.

23 Comments

look at uswitch website. they have good list of all the available tariffs. contract is better value.

Considering a teenager's minutes/texts/data requirement may very likely change over time, it may be best not to commit to an extended contract. Assuming there is sufficient initial budget to buy an teen-acceptable handset, a 30day SIMO with usage cap or monthly fixed PAYG arrangement will likely be the most flexible in the longer term where the arrangement can be adjusted to suit when trends indicate necessary. Allocating a fixed/capped budget should also assist the teen to learn self-moderation of usage. Obvious strong recommendation not to provide a teen with any uncapped service, unless the bill payer has bottomless pockets.

There's a three one on here which is only £8 a month and pretty good and hasslefree here and you can get cashback through tcb or quidco. There's also a Vodafone contract at £9.99 here This one is trickier because you need to send in the bills for the cashback.

I don't like that. The teen should be trusted and know their limits. They also need their own freedom. Just get a plan that gives lots of usage. Do you really want to restrict their ability to call you if they're in trouble? Or not be able to text their friends because they're on a ball and chain?

anouj

There's a three one on here which is only £8 a month and pretty good and … There's a three one on here which is only £8 a month and pretty good and hasslefree here and you can get cashback through tcb or quidco. There's also a Vodafone contract at £9.99 here This one is trickier because you need to send in the bills for the cashback.

​im on that three contract,it's great definitely recommend.

I'd go sim only 30 day rolling contract. I have had my teenage kids on various ones including: ID mobile and Plusnet. Currently on Plusnet with 2000 mins, Ultd texts and 5gb 4G data for a tenner a mont and it is capped so they can't fonmore than £3 over the tenner each month. You have to supply the phone but my kids have our old ones

ID mobile for sure, capped, and cheapest

You need a hard cap or stick with payg. There are many, many threads on MSE where a child or teen has gone WAY over on either data or minutes and the parent has had a bill for either hundreds or sometimes thousands.

My son has had a contract since he was 15. ( in my name. ). We pay £25 a month. Unlimited tx and data. 300 mins calls. Capped his usage. If he goes over then he can call. But. But never been a hassle. As you can join into wifi in most places now and message threw Facebook. Snap chat or any other social media. This time when I went to upgrade his contract. I can not find a deal like he has and have been advised strongly from doing anything with his contract as he is useing 60 to 80 mb of data a month.
    We did start of with pay as you go. But the constant drone of. Can I have credit. Run out of credit. Am I due credit. Can I earn some credit. £10 a week went no we're.
    I have 3 younger ones and will get them a contracts. But will go the non phone contract just the sim rolling contract with them. As being tied in for 2 yrs. they either break the phone or want a newer one at Christmas.

Giffgaff and then when he's in trouble or banned from the phone I can drop the goodybag down to the minimum X)
    Edited by: "sashahook" 21st Apr

30 day contracts are best where you can cancel at anytime. If lost. Need to change number. Change plan. All easy to do. We use giffgaff with the £5 Goddie bag that auto renews ever month, we can cancel,change to the £7.50 bag or just go payg at any time.

Oh. Data can be expensive if payg. Giffgaff is 20p for the first 20mb per day then 20p per mb after. That can make the cost sore so you need to be careful as all networks are similar. If you use data then a monthly deal is best but don't sign up to 3 or 12 month contract. Do it month by month. 20p every day for data x 30 days =£6 for data plus calls and texts you can soon be over £10pm on a payg. I think the £7.50 goodie bag is a good deal. Other network deals available

Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I have some reading to do.

My 2 kids are on plus.net sims with a 50p over usage cap. £5 a month for each and I make them give me the 50p if they go over useage so tend not to

Go for the 30 day plusnet deal that was posted on HUKD yesterday. They use EE's network and i think the tariff is great for the price.

vikki78vicky

My son has had a contract since he was 15. ( in my name. ). We pay £25 a … My son has had a contract since he was 15. ( in my name. ). We pay £25 a month. Unlimited tx and data. 300 mins calls. Capped his usage. If he goes over then he can call. But. But never been a hassle. As you can join into wifi in most places now and message threw Facebook. Snap chat or any other social media. This time when I went to upgrade his contract. I can not find a deal like he has and have been advised strongly from doing anything with his contract as he is useing 60 to 80 mb of data a month. We did start of with pay as you go. But the constant drone of. Can I have credit. Run out of credit. Am I due credit. Can I earn some credit. £10 a week went no we're. I have 3 younger ones and will get them a contracts. But will go the non phone contract just the sim rolling contract with them. As being tied in for 2 yrs. they either break the phone or want a newer one at Christmas.

​Your son is spoilt

vikki78vicky

My son has had a contract since he was 15. ( in my name. ). We pay £25 a … My son has had a contract since he was 15. ( in my name. ). We pay £25 a month. Unlimited tx and data. 300 mins calls. Capped his usage. If he goes over then he can call. But. But never been a hassle. As you can join into wifi in most places now and message threw Facebook. Snap chat or any other social media. This time when I went to upgrade his contract. I can not find a deal like he has and have been advised strongly from doing anything with his contract as he is useing 60 to 80 mb of data a month. We did start of with pay as you go. But the constant drone of. Can I have credit. Run out of credit. Am I due credit. Can I earn some credit. £10 a week went no we're. I have 3 younger ones and will get them a contracts. But will go the non phone contract just the sim rolling contract with them. As being tied in for 2 yrs. they either break the phone or want a newer one at Christmas.

Do you mean GB???! or MB

Kb sorry. I get confused between the to. He hammers the data usage. As he connects it to his lap to. Since he was 17 I no longer pay. He pays this himself as he has a Saturday job.
    Deff not spoilt. He had to earn his phone and do odd jobs around the house to get it. Was never just handed to him.

Gb sorry.

vikki78vicky

Gb sorry.

You really need to take the phone off him 80Gb wow. Might be time to teach him about wifi and find out what he is using so much data on.

Op as others have said a good 30 day dim is what you need, even something like virgin which allows free what's app messaging and roll over data each month.

What I would recommend is a dual sim phone. You can then split the data and calls between the two sim cards which works out way cheaper as data only sim cards can be extremely cheap.

Payg otherwise you will turn them into screen zombies..

Banned

vikki78vicky

Kb sorry. I get confused between the to. He hammers the data usage. As he … Kb sorry. I get confused between the to. He hammers the data usage. As he connects it to his lap to. Since he was 17 I no longer pay. He pays this himself as he has a Saturday job. Deff not spoilt. He had to earn his phone and do odd jobs around the house to get it. Was never just handed to him.

That's a awful lot of data he's using in a month for a 17 year
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…66
      2. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
      3. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
      4. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44

See more discussions