Do You Still Use Google ?

Do you still use Google ? I sure don't anymore after the massive censorship that they are implementing on websites that they feel are breaking the law. Why do Google think they are the Internet police now ? I now use startpage.com as i can see everything that google censors now.

I do hope you can see this. I don't think this site is blocked (I always use a VPN which i run on my own dedicated server located in France)

I would like your valued opinion on this please as for me, this is the end for google, and please, don't turn this into a slagging match or about the legal ramifications of geo blocking etc.

torrentfreak.com/pir…09/

44 Comments

You **** off Google, say you're not going to use it any more, then say you don't want a slanging match????

Do You Still Use Google ?

Yes.

"I would like your valued opinion" but only if it agrees with mine...
Edited by: "bloooo" 12th Dec 2016

end of google

LOOOOOOOOOL, my sides

It's disgusting that Google are trying to protect intellectual copyright. The swines.

I use Google exclusively but you have piqued my interest, will check out Startpage.

Cheers for the heads up

Dominatez

Do you still use Google ? I sure don't anymore after the massive … Do you still use Google ? I sure don't anymore after the massive censorship that they are implementing on websites that they feel are breaking the law.

If they don't remove them from search results then they can be seen as promoting piracy, they have no choice.
Just the same as large UK ISP's are forced to block sites, they have no choice.

What you going to do when startpage.com become big enough to have cease letters sent to them ? make another thread about how evil they are.

The best question is why you use public trackers that are listed in search engine results ? the best sites are hidden to stay under the radar.

Let's list as many old 1990s search engines we can think of. hotbot. Alta vista. Ask Jeeves.

joeldeals

Let's list as many old 1990s search engines we can think of. hotbot. … Let's list as many old 1990s search engines we can think of. hotbot. Alta vista. Ask Jeeves.

Don't forget Netscape

cis_groupie

Don't forget Netscape

Rings a bell yes

Original Poster

bloooo

"I would like your valued opinion" but only if it agrees with mine...

Never did i say that it has to agree with mine. Your opinion is your opinion.

Original Poster

PKRichie

If they don't remove them from search results then they can be seen as … If they don't remove them from search results then they can be seen as promoting piracy, they have no choice.Just the same as large UK ISP's are forced to block sites, they have no choice.I What you going to do when startpage.com become big enough to have cease letters sent to them ? make another thread about how evil they are.The best question is why you use public trackers that are listed in search engine results ? the best sites are hidden to stay under the radar.

PKRichie

If they don't remove them from search results then they can be seen as … If they don't remove them from search results then they can be seen as promoting piracy, they have no choice.Just the same as large UK ISP's are forced to block sites, they have no choice.What you going to do when startpage.com become big enough to have cease letters sent to them ? make another thread about how evil they are.The best question is why you use public trackers that are listed in search engine results ? the best sites are hidden to stay under the radar.

I use two private tracker sites that are exclusive invite only.

My point is that, it starts with torrents and ends where ? Wherever google see fit basically. They already harvest your data and store it and share with the NSA.

does the OP still use facebook, twitter or reddit? because they are selectively censoring/shadow banning idealogical & political discussion that don't match their own.

I pretty much know what websites I am going to visit now.. so Google Search is nothing more than a price comparison tool for me.

But its Googles other tools that are what I DO use..

Google Docs, Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Maps etc.. also Play Store, Android, and I find google voice search to be the best I have a Macbook with Parallel Desktops installed so I have access to Cortana, Siri & Google Voice and Google is by far the best.

Edited by: "haritori" 12th Dec 2016

joeldeals

Rings a bell yes

It's a little shocking how you can basically add Yahoo! in with those, who would have thought that back in the day?

Personally I think like most people, I'll switch to a different search engine (or anything else) when Google/the incumbent is no longer the best in terms of what I need it for. I'm not going to switch to something worse because it will no longer show me things I would never look for.

what's startpage? oh nm, I'll google it...

Startpage the world's most private search engine. Enhanced by Google

Dominatez

My point is that, it starts with torrents and ends where ? Wherever … My point is that, it starts with torrents and ends where ? Wherever google see fit basically. They already harvest your data and store it and share with the NSA.

It doesn't end, counterfeit website selling stolen or fake products are also targeted, in most cases local police arrest the owner but torrent sites are normally trickier to take down, all big search engines have to take steps to be seen pro-actively protecting internet users or risk being seen as promoting.

If you're in the UK then you'll also be tracked by the UK Govt, blackboxes have been part of the internet backbone for many years and we all know our Govt share with other countries round the world (Prism for example, your emails and text messages are also stored for 12 months, you're mobile phone tracks your every movement, cameras/mics can be remotely accessed.

Like it or not it's how it is now, all in the name of national security, I'm not tin foil hat fanatic but that's just the facts of how our times are, the good old days in the 90's have ended, the internet is just as censored and monitored as any other form of communication you use.

HDUK is my start page. If its not on this site...then i dont need to know.

EstorilBlue

HUKD?

Feel like are breaking the law? Do you mean they are breaking the law, bevausse they are. Google is a business and a private company, they must obey the law and they can show whatever results they want within the law.

Yes I use google, they are the best search engine.

Honestly don't break the law and you are fine, the police couldn't care less about internet piracy, piracy is a civil matter.

catbeans

...the police couldn't care less about internet piracy, piracy is a civil … ...the police couldn't care less about internet piracy, piracy is a civil matter.

Err...

[ cityoflondon.police.uk/adv…spx ]

I use DuckDuckGo because I can't be bothered to turn off all the Rubbish in google settings .

EstorilBlue

you should visit HUKD though, it's got a few odd ball members but it's ok

avoid around this time of year though, most of them are flamedeer mad

I find I am using Google more and more, with apps such as Photos, Keep, Google Now etc

The only thing I think is a bit pants is the Google Calendar, as the week view is terrible. I use an alternative.

Is this like an advert?

What is the alternative to google? I cant see anything feasible as google not only for browing but it has so many associated use on android apps for my phone and ipad, i cant see how i can use anything else.

Yes it is frustrating to be blocked, i also get blocked by my broadband provider for some sites so not just google but you move on and accept it. The sites are probably blocked for legit reasons so i dont have a problem.

I'm unsure of what censorship you mean that Google are policing on to us.

I know of the piracy issue, and the dmca actions companies place onto Google.
Their sharing illegal content and having google block the search, means Google isn't held responsible.

Because someone has threaten Google with a takedown order via DMCA, doesn't make Google the bad guy who is picking what we can and cannot view.

Sky for me block a ton of torrent sites. They are just following guidance based on the law.

Muir

It's a little shocking how you can basically add Yahoo! in with those, … It's a little shocking how you can basically add Yahoo! in with those, who would have thought that back in the day?Personally I think like most people, I'll switch to a different search engine (or anything else) when Google/the incumbent is no longer the best in terms of what I need it for. I'm not going to switch to something worse because it will no longer show me things I would never look for.

What is Yahoo?

PKRichie

Like it or not it's how it is now, all in the name of national security, … Like it or not it's how it is now, all in the name of national security, I'm not tin foil hat fanatic but that's just the facts of how our times are, the good old days in the 90's have ended, the internet is just as censored and monitored as any other form of communication you use.

"... the good old days in the 90's have ended" - the good old days of the 90s, back before ADSL? Oh yeah, the halcyon days of the internet 8-)

fanpages

Err...[ … Err...[ https://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/advice-and-support/fraud-and-economic-crime/pipcu/Pages/About-PIPCU.aspx ]

PIPCU rarely deal with torrenting cases and when they do its either a site owner or someone who has made 100s of torrents and have been directly targeted by a company and that companies lawyers.
Edited by: "catbeans" 12th Dec 2016

Joey Bloggsy

I use DuckDuckGo because I can't be bothered to turn off all the Rubbish … I use DuckDuckGo because I can't be bothered to turn off all the Rubbish in google settings .

Filth

catbeans

...the police couldn't care less about internet piracy, piracy is a … ...the police couldn't care less about internet piracy, piracy is a civil matter.

fanpages

Err...[ … Err...[ https://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/advice-and-support/fraud-and-economic-crime/pipcu/Pages/About-PIPCU.aspx ]

catbeans

PIPCU rarely deal with torrenting cases and when they do its either a … PIPCU rarely deal with torrenting cases and when they do its either a site owner or someone who has made 100s of torrents and have been directly targeted by a company and that companies lawyers.

...so the Police do care.

OK, thanks.

catbeans

...the police couldn't care less about internet piracy, piracy is a … ...the police couldn't care less about internet piracy, piracy is a civil matter.

fanpages

catbeans

PIPCU rarely deal with torrenting cases and when they do its either a … PIPCU rarely deal with torrenting cases and when they do its either a site owner or someone who has made 100s of torrents and have been directly targeted by a company and that companies lawyers.

Well look at the amount of people who torrent, the amount of torrent sites WTC and the amount of cases. Google has taken these websites away because of private lawyers. When the police do act its because they have to due to legal pressure, other departments if they find someone has been downloading don't pass information on.
Edited by: "catbeans" 13th Dec 2016

joeldeals

Let's list as many old 1990s search engines we can think of. hotbot. … Let's list as many old 1990s search engines we can think of. hotbot. Alta vista. Ask Jeeves.

​Lycos

Original Poster

qtweeder

does the OP still use facebook, twitter or reddit? because they are … does the OP still use facebook, twitter or reddit? because they are selectively censoring/shadow banning idealogical & political discussion that don't match their own.

​To answer that question. No. I don't use any of these sites nor have I done so for a while.

fanpages

[ … [ http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/what-would-buy-hukd-secret-santa-2070402?p=23549830 ]

what did haritori want to buy for me in #5?

haritori

I pretty much know what websites I am going to visit now.. so Google … I pretty much know what websites I am going to visit now.. so Google Search is nothing more than a price comparison tool for me.But its Googles other tools that are what I DO use..Google Docs, Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Maps etc.. also Play Store, Android, and I find google voice search to be the best I have a Macbook with Parallel Desktops installed so I have access to Cortana, Siri & Google Voice and Google is by far the best.

Did you know that Google knows everywhere you have been with your phone and also records parts of your phone calls?

myactivity.google.com/
Edited by: "chocci" 13th Dec 2016

yeah will definitely google that Startpage thing, cheers

hottoast

I find I am using Google more and more, with apps such as Photos, Keep, … I find I am using Google more and more, with apps such as Photos, Keep, Google Now etc The only thing I think is a bit pants is the Google Calendar, as the week view is terrible. I use an alternative.

Agreed. Digical android app is better than Google calendar and wunderlist (cross platform) is better than keep
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Criminal Immigrants and British Justice - makes me proud!2137
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764004
    3. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…22
    4. Ebid over Ebay33

See more discussions