Groups

Do you think sony went wrong on the new ps4?

IMHO I think Sony dropped the ball on the new ps4.

Why bring out a slim and pro?

If someone was new to gaming, they would go straight for the pro to be sort of be ready for 2-4 years of gaming in 4k and as well as streaming in 4k

The slim is not really in my eyes a upgrade from the old ps4 ( which i have ) and has effected the sale of the old ps4

why would someone pay £150 for a old (1year old plus) ps4 plus 5-10 games. When they can get a slim for £199 brand new with a game or two

Yes i know no 4k blu ray, but who on earth would pay £25 for a movie on dvd

ideas?

10 Comments

Gaming in 4k? You mean gaming in 720p or 1080p and then up scaling it to 4k

My opinion is that no one will care - the old model will fetch more or less the same price second hand after a while as the slim (just as with the PS3) because they're inherently the same, and some people just prefer the look of certain models - other people will just be after 'a PS4' second-hand so won't care.

People buying new ones will buy the Slim, unless they have to have the *best* (even though in this case the advantages are uninspiring at best) - in which case they will buy the Pro. I don't think Sony have dropped the ball as such, they're just releasing more and more models over time, as they always do. It's usually to lower production costs rather than to benefit the user, so often first gen Sonys actually have better components and fit and finish - look at the monstrous 'ultra slim' PS3 - looked like something out of a Harrods Christmas cracker.

I bought a standard 1TB last year, it still works perfectly and I'm very happy with it. I don't give a hoot about resale anyway since by the time I sell in a few years either model will be worth next to nothing.
    Edited by: "misterleoni" 29th Dec 2016

The slim is replacing the old PS4 and the Pro is an upgrade...

People will still pay a good price for the old PS4 because it doesn't pretty much the same as the slim so there's not much reason not to if you want to save a few quid.

why would someone pay £150 for a old (1year old plus) ps4 plus 5-10 games. When they can get a slim for £199 brand new with a game or two

Isn't the reason obvious? oO

abzycar

Gaming in 4k? You mean gaming in 720p or 1080p and then up scaling it to … Gaming in 4k? You mean gaming in 720p or 1080p and then up scaling it to 4k

There are some ​Future games that will be released in 4k...

shornnno

There are some ​Future games that will be released in 4k...

Indeed. And some current gen games have now been patched to run in higher Res...Uncharted 4 for example runs at 1800p now....no not 4k but still better than 1080p.
    I'm happy to be corrected but I think that the Last of Us Remastered outputs outputs in native 4k
    Edited by: "Uridium" 29th Dec 2016

IMHO I think Sony dropped the ball on the new ps4.

Not really. Is the consumer prepared to pay for future proof, top of the range components required to run 4K gaming? In the early days of the console market Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo did pair their machines with mid-high level graphics cards and processors but as a consequence the console machines were heavily subsidized and the consumer paid through more expensive games. Nowadays Microsoft, and Sony use lower-mid APU processors which has an integrated graphics on the processor which is relatively cheap to buy from AMD / Samsung / Intel / ARM* (Design only) but ineffective and unable to run games on native 4K resolutions without some compromise.

With regards to the PS4 and Pro version, the latest console uses the updated AMD APU based on the latest cut down Polaris Graphic Processor Unit and supposedly the next generation Zen architecture thus you should see a substantial improvement in performance. Unfortunately the console may have difficulty to run games natively at 4K resolution at 30FPS or higher, even with optimisation without programmers making amendments or limiting graphical settings or details.

Edited by: "nemesiz" 29th Dec 2016

imo they would have been better off without the pro, only reason I could see for it was for the vr, which runs perfect on normal ps4, as for 4k, it isn't native, so i don't see the point in having ps4 upscale when the TV will do it.

looking forward to seeing what they do when Scorpio is released, can't see them just sitting back.

Generally slim models are released half way through a consoles lifetime to take advantage of manufacturing improvements, so the slim is a direct replacement to the original that's cheaper to manufacture and run.

The manufacturing of the original will be stopped if it hasn't been already

But am I right in thinking this is the first time they've introduced an "upgrade" with improved processors etc. In the past we would get slim variations but the hard drive and chassis size was the discernible differences

The pro does seem half cocked to me. They should have bought out the new slim to support whatever 4K content is available now and then PS5 in a year or two when 4K content (and TVs) are thick on the ground

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions