Do you think this is an Ebay scam?

Found 3rd Aug 2017
I have just ordered a chair from Ebay, exactly the same as this listing, and from the same seller:
ebay.co.uk/itm…m0r

The price is £15.99, whereas elsewhere on Ebay it is £69, and on Amazon it is £74:
amazon.co.uk/Fox…WNG

It is listed as new, and I paid via Paypal, to minimise the risk, as it is only £16 I was not too concerned about losing the money.

Just wondered if anyone could see what the scam is? There are quite a few listed by the same seller at the same price.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments

It certainly looks like a scam. Worse case is you have to wait to file your INR claim and get your money back. The seller only registered today.
Edited by: "windym" 3rd Aug 2017

Original Poster

Thanks.

If something looks to good to be true, then it probably is comes to mind.
I'll wait and see what happens. I actually quite liked the chair, so tempted to buy from Amazon anyways. Worse case scenario is I'll end up with two.

allsa0013 m ago

Thanks.If something looks to good to be true, then it probably is comes to …Thanks.If something looks to good to be true, then it probably is comes to mind.I'll wait and see what happens. I actually quite liked the chair, so tempted to buy from Amazon anyways. Worse case scenario is I'll end up with two.

Worse case scenario is you have to file an INR (item not received) or at a push a SNAD (significantly not as described) with Paypal to get your money back. If it is the latter, you may receive an empty envelope, but if you do then you will get your money back if you send the "empty envelope" back tracked (at your cost).

pictures used have watermark from other ebay shop

He has about 6 posted at same price so no error on price. The best thing to do is ring ebay

Original Poster

I have never phoned eBay before. I was going to leave it, and see what happened.

What would I say to them, that I think it maybe a scam?

"as it is only £16 I was not too concerned about losing the money."

And this is exactly why scammers set up shop on eBay, so people like you who are "not too concerned about losing the money" click the buy button.

He's got ZERO feedback. It's a newly setup account TODAY. And the price is 1/4 of the price of other sellers.

Alarm bells should be ringing.
Edited by: "artnada" 3rd Aug 2017

Original Poster

artnada1 h, 51 m ago

"as it is only £16 I was not too concerned about losing the money."And …"as it is only £16 I was not too concerned about losing the money."And this is exactly why scammers set up shop on eBay, so people like you who are "not too concerned about losing the money" click the buy button.He's got ZERO feedback. It's a newly setup account TODAY. And the price is 1/4 of the price of other sellers.Alarm bells should be ringing.

Well, in fairness the alarm bells were ringing. That is why I paid by Paypal, and have taken screen shots of the item description. Therefore if it all goes wrong, I can open a claim.

By saying it is only £16, I mean that If it goes belly up, I can still order from Amazon, and not be too much out of pocket whilst I go down the claims route.
Edited by: "allsa001" 3rd Aug 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions