Groups
    EXPIRED

Do you think this is racist?

I am expiring this thread because the issue has been solved. Thanks to all who offered alternative views.

Just come back from Somerfield. I noticed a bag of rice produced by a Middle East company, that had the words "Please ignore all references to USA" in large red letters printed on the pack. I was thinking of writing to Somerfield about this, but wonder if it is worth it. I am no friend of USA, but I hate racism wherever it is found.

Is this offensive?

Please don't turn this thread into any form of racist rant.

24 Comments

did you buy it Pred? if so could you post a picture, Im confused

what was the "Notice" in reference of?

Original Poster

No I didn't but it. I can only think that the producers have an anti-American stance and want to stop people buying American items. It was not a stick on label, but actually printed on the bag.

Predikuesi;2562293

No I didn't but it. I can only think that the producers have an … No I didn't but it. I can only think that the producers have an anti-American stance and want to stop people buying American items. It was not a stick on label, but actually printed on the bag.

From what you have stated, it would be wrong to make a determination, it might have said that the Rice had been bagged and washed in the U.S.A. and so the "Notice" was in reference to that...

Banned

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7470/stupidriceif9.jpg

To be brutally honest, it probably hints at being racist but I couldn't give two hoots.

It's not strictly racism anyway, more xenophobia

Original Poster

thesaint;2562316

From what you have stated, it would be wrong to make a determination, it … From what you have stated, it would be wrong to make a determination, it might have said that the Rice had been bagged and washed in the U.S.A. and so the "Notice" was in reference to that...

The bag stated "Non USA origin" then "Please ignore all reference to USA". The rest of the print was in Arabic style writing.
    I get your point, but still cannot see the need for the statement on the package.

Original Poster

vixygwim;2562337

To be brutally honest, it probably hints at being racist but I couldn't … To be brutally honest, it probably hints at being racist but I couldn't give two hoots.

That's the one, except it was in a paper sack / bag and the text was actually on the bag itself.

Predikuesi;2562350

The bag stated "Non USA origin" then "Please ignore all reference to … The bag stated "Non USA origin" then "Please ignore all reference to USA". The rest of the print was in Arabic style writing.I get your point, but still cannot see the need for the statement on the package.

After now seeing the picture, it appears that there is an incorrect statement on the packaging, and they are clearing that up.

Banned

If you are offended by it...its offensive. Simple as.

I dont think race comes into it as US is a nationality not a race, probably downright unmarketable

Ain't this just a correction? They mentioned USA when they weren't suppose to. As the rice is non-usa.

is it not to do with some sort of scandal or food scare about american produced rice. so this could just be a notice to customers emphasising the fact that the rice isn't american produced and as such isn't affected by whatever the scare was.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I did not see it in that light until you mentioned it. Makes sense now. See what dialogue can do? Clears up misunderstanding!

American long grain is the type of rice. The statement will be because people may think its a product of the USA but is infact form India.

Banned

Nothing wrong with it.

Its just a brand name for the type of rice and the store is correctly stating its not produce of America.

I wonder if they do the same for Parma Ham etc?

Original Poster

Please see post #14. I think the issue is solved. Thanks again.

Predikuesi;2562379

Thanks everyone. I did not see it in that light until you mentioned it. … Thanks everyone. I did not see it in that light until you mentioned it. Makes sense now. See what dialogue can do? Clears up misunderstanding!

Also, is India a middle eastern country?

Original Poster

thesaint;2562393

Good point. Didn't realise it was made in India until now.

guv;2562384

Nothing wrong with it.Its just a brand name for the type of rice and the … Nothing wrong with it.Its just a brand name for the type of rice and the store is correctly stating its not produce of America.I wonder if they do the same for Parma Ham etc?

The list could go on, Yorkshire puddings, cornish pasties, bakewell tarts, cheddar cheese, pontefract cakes, chelsea buns etc etc they all have names to suggest they are from a locale yet may be produced anywhere,

Original Poster

harlzter;2562415

The list could go on, Yorkshire puddings, cornish pasties, bakewell … The list could go on, Yorkshire puddings, cornish pasties, bakewell tarts, cheddar cheese, pontefract cakes, chelsea buns etc etc they all have names to suggest they are from a locale yet may be produced anywhere,

And Rock Cakes are not made of rock (though they might seem that way sometimes):-D

Banned

thesaint;2562393

No it isn't. Why do you ask? The reference to "arabic looking writing"? Most packaging contains various foreign languages on it these days.

Original Poster

guv;2562450

No it isn't. Why do you ask? The reference to "arabic looking writing"? … No it isn't. Why do you ask? The reference to "arabic looking writing"? Most packaging contains various foreign languages on it these days.

He is making reference (correctly so) to the wording in my opening post.

[COLOR=red]Could this thread be locked if any Mod is watching, as the issue is solved.[/COLOR]

Its just for legal reasons, as the Packaging states its 'American' Long Grain Rice, which is however untrue, so the sticker is there to correct this.

As for product names (eg Cheddar Cheese), there are various food labelling laws which govern these. Some are traditional products, with names that go back many many years, and as such can be used, some have to be produced in certain regions to be legally called that name, etc

Predikuesi;2562403

Good point. Didn't realise it was made in India until now.

Well its grown not made.:)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      3. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121
      4. Community Appreciation Giveaway​ (razerzone​)​11

See more discussions