Do you tip at Christmas?

Found 19th Dec 2017
I was just wondering if it’s still common to tip the postie, milkman, paperboy, etc or if people generally don’t bother.

I read a few years back that it is mainly the older generation that still tip and that the younger generation don’t consider it necessary.

I always tip the bin men (usually a tenner or so) but never think to tip the postie as we never have a regular one...
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
I don't get tipped for doing my job so no.
I tip the window cleaner, wouldn't dream of tipping the bin men, well I might if they stopped leaving my bins half way down the street or the whole streets bins across my drive so I have to move them all before I can get my car out
54 Comments
I don't get tipped for doing my job so no.
nope! Why would you tip someone doing their job? IF someone went up above and beyond the call of duty, then I would but that sometimes happens in a restaurant. These days I never see a rubbish collector or Postal worker and who has papers and milk delivered anymore?
I give our dog walker a small present and a little bit extra money on the last week. That's about all i do
Only the postman £5 as he's very good compared to most.
Postmen dont deliver just papers but your packages also. I appreciate mines handing stuff to my neighbours saving me time and money having not go to the callers office to collect.
I never see my milkman and we pay them by direct debit. Never wanted a newspaper in my life so no paperboy. Never see the bin men either though as i'm generally working by the time they come round.
darthbacca3719th Dec 2017

nope! Why would you tip someone doing their job? IF someone went up above …nope! Why would you tip someone doing their job? IF someone went up above and beyond the call of duty, then I would but that sometimes happens in a restaurant. These days I never see a rubbish collector or Postal worker and who has papers and milk delivered anymore?

I get milk delivered, they also do eggs and fresh orange
I tip the window cleaner, wouldn't dream of tipping the bin men, well I might if they stopped leaving my bins half way down the street or the whole streets bins across my drive so I have to move them all before I can get my car out
Nope , I'm afraid not , I can see before minimum /living wage was introduced that it could have been done to boost the Christmas pay of poorly paid workers, but I'm fairly sure my binmen get paid more than I do , postie changes every few weeks , certainly no regular one. Also not sure about you ,I've never met my binmen , but I'm assuming there are different crews for the different types of collection, I normally get 3 different lots visit ( black bin, brown bin, paper sack, cardboard sack, tin/glass box, food waste)
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 19th Dec 2017
I used to tip the binmen until they introduced wheelie bins and put my council tax up so sod them but I usually bung my barber £20 to get a drink, and usually a waitress or three gets a tip and maybe a barman.
We always give our binmen cider/beer at Christmas as they're so chirpy and friendly. My little boy likes to wave at them every week and they always wave and beep their horn at him. They also always put our bin away for us. We don't tip the postman, we seem to have a different one every few weeks
Some binmen aren't allowed to accept cash or booze due to bribery fears. Not sure what a bribe is supposed to induce, emptying your bin before your neighbour's?
People only tip waiting staff as we feel guilty because they brought them food... Apparently....
deleted800342
chocci46 m ago

Only the postman £5 as he's very good compared to most.

You mean he can actually read?
Gave the postie a tip the other day. “ dont leave your washing out in the rain”
Maybe the take away driver but that’s about it
I get my postman some beers because hes helpful he'll leave my mums parcels here if she isn't home, he'll sign for stuff for me to save me a trip to the post office just the little things but they help
gillsypop9 m ago

I get my postman some beers because hes helpful he'll leave my mums …I get my postman some beers because hes helpful he'll leave my mums parcels here if she isn't home, he'll sign for stuff for me to save me a trip to the post office just the little things but they help

Which he then has to carry around all day. I like your style!
cdm2219 m ago

Which he then has to carry around all day. I like your style!

no he drives a post van don't worry I'm not that horrible
KatelynJamieson1 h, 5 m ago

Maybe the take away driver but that’s about it

I always feel guilty for this one, i never have cash so if i get take away it is paid by android pay on just eat.
gillsypop24 m ago

no he drives a post van don't worry I'm not that horrible

So you wait for him to leave the street then phone the police to report drink driving?
All the extra boxes and junk we have yes - usually make at least on trip to the tip.
Skaman2 h, 48 m ago

I tip the window cleaner, wouldn't dream of tipping the bin men, well I …I tip the window cleaner, wouldn't dream of tipping the bin men, well I might if they stopped leaving my bins half way down the street or the whole streets bins across my drive so I have to move them all before I can get my car out

Atleast you can get out of your house mine like to jam 2 bins in front of my outward opening door so we kind of get stuck until either my neighbour moves the bins for me or my hubby gives the door a really hard shove. Spoken to them about it but the crew keeps changing so you'll have 2 weeks of respite before it starts up again.
CoeK19 m ago

So you wait for him to leave the street then phone the police to report …So you wait for him to leave the street then phone the police to report drink driving?

I have a feeling you have a slight disdain for your postman 🤣
gillsypop4 m ago

I have a feeling you have a slight disdain for your postman I have a feeling you have a slight disdain for your postman 🤣

haha mine is actually a fairly youngish girl.
Edited by: "CoeK" 19th Dec 2017
Only tip the postman.
winifer4 h, 32 m ago

I give our dog walker a small present and a little bit extra money on the …I give our dog walker a small present and a little bit extra money on the last week. That's about all i do

My dog leaves the dog walker small presents every day
I gave a £5 tip with a card for the paper boy, then had no paper delivery for two days, i've always tipped but never again.
@dazbang

"Do you tip at Christmas?"

No; usually re-gift the following year or give any unwanted presents to charity shops.
Tip me as a slay my ass off working all over xmas & new year..
gift the staff in hospitals etc and in places you eat/drink over these festive days.. it makes it worth our while..
bin men etc don't work on those days so that's something I think about..
I haven't had a Christmas at home for the last 5 years.. I enjoy my job, but a nice tip at the end would be appreciated.
bingebunny1 h, 3 m ago

Tip me as a slay my ass off working all over xmas & new year.. gift the …Tip me as a slay my ass off working all over xmas & new year.. gift the staff in hospitals etc and in places you eat/drink over these festive days.. it makes it worth our while.. bin men etc don't work on those days so that's something I think about..I haven't had a Christmas at home for the last 5 years.. I enjoy my job, but a nice tip at the end would be appreciated.

I'd rather not be discriminatory and just not tip anybody for doing the job they are already paid to do.

Merry Christmas.

32825164-2c1Do.jpg
I would be interested to know if people still tip their paper boy/girl. I used to do a Sunday paper round and one Xmas I got over £100 in tips, this was about 16 years ago though. Made my £2 a round pay well worth it.
@dazbang

"...milkman, paperboy, etc..."

xembox9 m ago

I would be interested to know if people still tip their paper boy/girl...

I must be living in the wrong millennium. I have not had newspapers delivered since the early 1990s!
Nope.
Bin people always leave my wheelie across the drive and the Postie messed up on his last job, that involved my house.
Oneday771 m ago

Nope. Bin people always leave my wheelie across the drive and the Postie …Nope. Bin people always leave my wheelie across the drive and the Postie messed up on his last job, that involved my house.

To be fair, delivering a house can be problematic.
Whilst a very British thing to do it seems, I don't tip.

Postal workers, council workers and restaurant workers are all in paid employment, just like me. I don't expect to be tipped for doing my job just because of the time of year.
Drooler6 m ago

Whilst a very British thing to do it seems, I don't tip. Postal workers, …Whilst a very British thing to do it seems, I don't tip. Postal workers, council workers and restaurant workers are all in paid employment, just like me. I don't expect to be tipped for doing my job just because of the time of year.

Christmas Bonus? You get to come back to the same job next year.
Who decided which jobs get tips and which don't? Ridculous, outdated concept which is not required in a world of minimum and living wages and varied employment options available for all people.
I always keep my glass upright 32826862-rncyb.jpg
yep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions