Expired

Do you tip the delivery driver (takeaways)?

Found 17th Jul 2016
Just curious to see if you are supposed to tip the delivery guy. I have about 1 or 2 deliveries a week and pay the exact money most times. If I don't have exact amount, I tell the delivery not to worry about change (less than £1).

Just curious what other people do
Community Updates
AskTakeaway
46 Comments
I always tip around £1 if it's say £11.80 then I would say take the £13.
I always tip if paying with cash but not when I've already paid over the Internet
Our takeaway charges for delivery so that would be the tip as far as I'm concerned so no, I don't.
I would tip if I have paid over the Internet or if I am paying cash on delivery. I usually give the driver £2.
Free delivery from the one we use but always give a pound or so, don't think the del drivers get paid much so it's a little bonus for what they do
I say if you can afford to pay to have your food cooked and delivered then you can afford to tip a little
No I never top anyone because I am sooooooo right I sqeak when I walk.
We only tip out of guilt. Nearly always when someone brings us food or drink. Let's all drop the dentist a few quid for pulling are teeth or the mechanic for fixing are cars. No chance. Lol
drtongue

No I never top anyone because I am sooooooo right I sqeak when I walk.

​that *tight*
I used to deliver for a Chinese when at University. A large portion of the income was from tips.

A word of warning, people whom never tipped (and there were quite a few regulars who would order at least twice a week with no tips) would always get their delivery LAST. Even if it were incredibly inconvenient for me, ide go out my way to make them wait for their food.
wayners

We only tip out of guilt. Nearly always when someone brings us food or … We only tip out of guilt. Nearly always when someone brings us food or drink. Let's all drop the dentist a few quid for pulling are teeth or the mechanic for fixing are cars. No chance. Lol

I agree, what makes hairdressers, cab drivers, delivery drivers or any public service persons job different to anyone else's?
katchiib

I used to deliver for a Chinese when at University. A large portion of … I used to deliver for a Chinese when at University. A large portion of the income was from tips. A word of warning, people whom never tipped (and there were quite a few regulars who would order at least twice a week with no tips) would always get their delivery LAST. Even if it were incredibly inconvenient for me, ide go out my way to make them wait for their food.

I never tip because I have to wait a couple of hours. Delivery is always late

Edited by: "Otto.uk" 17th Jul 2016
Otto.uk

I never tip because I have to wait a couple of hours. Delivery is always … I never tip because I have to wait a couple of hours. Delivery is always late

If you didn't wait a couple of hours maybe it would be on time.
delivery drivers still get at least minimum wage, and if they use the vehicle for work, they can claim back some expenses on tax.
Otto.uk

I never tip because I have to wait a couple of hours. Delivery is always … I never tip because I have to wait a couple of hours. Delivery is always late

Youre doing it wrong... Try tipping next time, youll get it quicker the time after.

We don't tip in this country. Some people might, but we have minimum wage for a reason. I'm not gonna count out 89 pence to get the exact amount, but i'd pay £9 in coins instead of paying £10 and getting no change.

katchiib

I used to deliver for a Chinese when at University. A large portion of … I used to deliver for a Chinese when at University. A large portion of the income was from tips. A word of warning, people whom never tipped (and there were quite a few regulars who would order at least twice a week with no tips) would always get their delivery LAST. Even if it were incredibly inconvenient for me, ide go out my way to make them wait for their food.

Well that's just immature. You should have been on minimum wage, if you were not and working under the table, that is your own fault. Otherwise you're being a greedy little **** expecting tips.
centurion01

delivery drivers still get at least minimum wage, and if they use the … delivery drivers still get at least minimum wage, and if they use the vehicle for work, they can claim back some expenses on tax.

Ummmm, no they dont. Unless youre working for pizza hut/dominos that pay an hourly. I GURANTEE you no delivery driver claims their income to HMRC, nor do they have an accountant to claim back expenses on!
I don't tip. The only time I would 100% tip is if I were to order in winter and they delivered on a scooter like papa johns do here. It's dangerous for them, though they are surely earning more than your local chinese or indian who pay less than min wage - or maybe not since they can hire 16 year olds on L plates.. hmmm

Either way, it's **** money but you chose the job. Don't like it, don't do it.
Guy at one of our local takeaways gets paid 1.50 per delivery in his own car or £1 if he uses restraunts car he starts at 4pm tea time most nights and finishes after 11pm and recons he can make anything between 70-100+ drops in this time. Granted it's not gonna be much on a weds night in winter bit it is a tourist hotpot near where they are so delivers there loads in summer. I don't tip purely cos he let slip how much he can make lol.
always tip drivers, anywhere from £1-2.
adsjones

Guy at one of our local takeaways gets paid 1.50 per delivery in his own … Guy at one of our local takeaways gets paid 1.50 per delivery in his own car or £1 if he uses restraunts car he starts at 4pm tea time most nights and finishes after 11pm and recons he can make anything between 70-100+ drops in this time. Granted it's not gonna be much on a weds night in winter bit it is a tourist hotpot near where they are so delivers there loads in summer. I don't tip purely cos he let slip how much he can make lol.

That is about right. On a bust friday or saturday ide have about £200 + 2 free meals. Had to use our own car, and it did wreck it. Also not many carry business insurance so if you get stopped by police or have an accident you are open to a lot of trouble.
On a weekday, usually anywhere between £50-£80 depending on the time if year. Saying that it was the very late 90's when I was delivering.
£1 for good service and 50p if I don't like the driver
The only take away we have delivered is from Pizza Hut, they always have older drivers in cars in our area , so assume they must be on at least minimum wage. I pay online when I order and have never considered tipping them, any more than I would tip any of the courier drivers who deliver my parcels .
5 pound is good enough...as long as good food...
I always give a fiver. reasonable price to pay for how hard they work.
no, that is their job.
Generally no. But I tend to tip my regular.
Though most places charge for delivery anyway, so I feel less inclined to.
If everyone stopped tipping then the takeaway companies would maybe be obliged to pay their employees a proper wage.
dorset_taco

I always give a fiver. reasonable price to pay for how hard they work.

​Really? That's a bit tight.

£10 minimum from me and £20 if it's raining.
Daddio

If everyone stopped tipping then the takeaway companies would maybe be … If everyone stopped tipping then the takeaway companies would maybe be obliged to pay their employees a proper wage.

​That's what I always think although normally round it up to the nearest pound.
I'm a delivery driver for a local Chinese takeaway. I'll earn between £50 - £180 p/w full time hours. Can anybody spare some change?
Thanks everyone. Appreciate all the replies given
min £2 if ive already paid over internet if not usually more
Nope. It's not my job to top up their wage. I don't tip nurses or teachers either because what they are doing is the job that they are employed to do.

Edited by: "RossD89" 17th Jul 2016
A lot of is based on judgement.. if you look like a single mum trying to make a living then yeah probably.

On the other hand if you turn up in a BMW...
Edited by: "-xn" 18th Jul 2016
stuarthanley

Our takeaway charges for delivery so that would be the tip as far as I'm … Our takeaway charges for delivery so that would be the tip as far as I'm concerned so no, I don't.

Even if they didn't charge for delivery, i rarely tip as they normally give a 10% discount for collection. To charge for delivery and then tip as well is basically paying extra 3 times compared to collecting.
Only time I do tip is either waiter/waitress as they ask how my food was etc. Basically I see delivery drivers sat around while getting paid, I don't tip for having food delivered as I see that person for a few seconds.
We used to tip £2 on a £20 meal, but then they started charging £1.50 for delivery as we're 100 yards outside their free delivery area.
They now get nowt.
Not had a delivered takeaway for ages, but when I did I'd just round it up to the nearest quid, just for ease.

If it's stupidly late at night or absolutely horrible weather then sure give them a decent tip, but other then that they get paid to do the job so only tip if the service is above and beyond
Edited by: "joedastudd" 18th Jul 2016
I almost never tip delivery drivers.
I used to be a delivery driver myself, and the pay was reasonable before tips.
I would get comments like "Keep the change, I know you guys don't get paid much', but that wasn't true at all.
The biggest tip I ever got was £20 from a couple who were arguing how much I should get.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions