Do you tip your delivery guy?

Found 26th Aug 2011
Just tipped the Tesco guy £1.50, is this cheap?
Community Updates
Misc
56 Comments
Do not tip supermarket delivery guys but do takeaway shop ones
no that's kind..these guys get min wage so .....every little helps....so hate that phrase!
sowotsdis

no that's kind..these guys get min wage so .....every little helps....so … no that's kind..these guys get min wage so .....every little helps....so hate that phrase!

We dont get minimum wage.
I tip between 2 and 5 pounds depending on what i have in my purse. And a tenner at Christmas if they're friendly!
i dont really tip anyone, with everything going up in price, every penny helps.
id feel a little uncomfortable tipping a supermarket delivery person.....

its not like your paying for the delivery there and then in cash like a takeaway or sumthing so im not quite sure how i would initiate it....
I dont tip Tesco as you have to pay for delivery! I tip takeaway drivers as you don't pay for delivery and if someone has brought an object that is difficult I.e. A couch up a flight of stairs!
if everyone tipped a delivery person these guys would be on more money than the customers and possibly many skilled trades. Personally, don't tip unless take away drivers as no one tips me despite providing a dam good service
Takeaway deliveries yes ... but live out in sticks now so no one delivers lol

Supermarket deliverys ... No way I used to work with a woman whose hubby worked for tesco part time as a delivery driver. She had a lunch that could feed the whole office and always bragged that they never had to dip into their own money for Christmas present shopping and put the rest of his tips towards their summer holiday!
simplyjimbo

if everyone tipped a delivery person these guys would be on more money … if everyone tipped a delivery person these guys would be on more money than the customers and possibly many skilled trades. Personally, don't tip unless take away drivers as no one tips me despite providing a dam good service

And what Job do you do ?
No one ever tips me :-(
i dont tip, there just doing there job not exactly going out of the way.
Just say "Beep" and pretend you're giving them clubcard points instead.
I tip & always tip well.
I tip waiters,hairdressers & taxi drivers & of course take-away drivers.
I would prefer to be skint than be a miserable sod.
hermes drivers get 45p to deliver parcels, out of that they have to pay for the petrol to get there (how much would a taxi driver charge for a mile?) they have to use their own car/van, repair costs, tax and national insurance, they dont get min wage, they dont get paid unless its delivered (so if your out and no safe place - they get nothing) they get no holiday pay (to even have one day off they have to find another mug to cover for them) no sick pay, no pension, no wage increase in the last 15years (despite increasing fuel costs) then if there is any money left out of that 45p, thats their "profit".
so yeah, dont bother tipping them, they earn loads, lol
splatsplatsplat

hermes drivers get 45p to deliver parcels, out of that they have to pay … hermes drivers get 45p to deliver parcels, out of that they have to pay for the petrol to get there (how much would a taxi driver charge for a mile?) they have to use their own car/van, repair costs, tax and national insurance, they dont get min wage, they dont get paid unless its delivered (so if your out and no safe place - they get nothing) they get no holiday pay (to even have one day off they have to find another mug to cover for them) no sick pay, no pension, no wage increase in the last 15years (despite increasing fuel costs) then if there is any money left out of that 45p, thats their "profit".so yeah, dont bother tipping them, they earn loads, lol

wow hardley seems worth it, and you have been doing it 15 years!
How many drops do you do in a typical day?
I give them a tip....."Dont tie your shoe laces in a revolving door".
This has always bugged me, I keep thinking I should, and they seem to hesitate after I sign the delivery, maybe at christmas or something.
ukmonkey

wow hardley seems worth it, and you have been doing it 15 years!How many … wow hardley seems worth it, and you have been doing it 15 years!How many drops do you do in a typical day?

no, i dont work for hermes - but I know a load of them (_;) , some couriers get more per parcel (depending on how rural the area is), some couriers get 20, some get a hundred (again depending on the area). Some of the van drivers earn £1.50 a parcel, but they usually have a larger area to cover and can spend £50 a day on fuel.
Unfortunately employers take advantage of the fact that certain jobs gain tips. they then pay a lesser wage. It should be the EMPLOYER that rewards the worker and not the customer. Not being miserable or tight just pragmatic.
WheresMeNuts

I tip & always tip well.I tip waiters,hairdressers & taxi drivers & of … I tip & always tip well.I tip waiters,hairdressers & taxi drivers & of course take-away drivers.I would prefer to be skint than be a miserable sod.

well when you are skint. you will see all the people you have tipped driving nice cars and living happy rich lives. That will then make you a miserable sod.......so well thought out!
What delivery guy?
ThePasty

well when you are skint. you will see all the people you have tipped … well when you are skint. you will see all the people you have tipped driving nice cars and living happy rich lives. That will then make you a miserable sod.......so well thought out!

I remember when my Teacher told me one day,she said "Son,you know how when you see a grumpy old man" I looked up at my teacher with my little blue eyes & she said "well son you do know that the grumpy old man is not grumpy just because he's old".....Son he's always been Grumpy.

PS: I miss my teacher.
WheresMeNuts

I remember when my Teacher told me one day,she said "Son,you know how … I remember when my Teacher told me one day,she said "Son,you know how when you see a grumpy old man" I looked up at my teacher with my little blue eyes & she said "well son you do know that the grumpy old man is not grumpy just because he's old".....Son he's always been Grumpy.PS: I miss my teacher.

Was she a looker? lol All joking aside, a valid point made, though I am sure what life threw at him may have made him grumpier with time.
I don't tip Tesco etc. delivery drivers, I pay Tesco etc for delivery, they pay their drivers.

If the driver doesn't like that, well he/she is in the wrong job.
you shouldn't tip Tesco drivers the lowest they get is £7 an hour.
I don't tip delivery drivers, or the postman. But sometimes I offer them a cup of coffee or a cold drink. My mum's delivery driver today, Hermes, had a pocket full of dog biscuits ... he was much admired by dogs and parents
I don't tip anyone, everything costs too much as it is. I am not miserable or grumpy but every penny counts and charity begins at home.

oh, is that why my hermes guy calls me on my mobile and stalks me until i take the parcel. Also forces me to leave it in the bin or behind the garage...poor guy 45p ...what a joke .

splatsplatsplat

hermes drivers get 45p to deliver parcels, out of that they have to pay … hermes drivers get 45p to deliver parcels, out of that they have to pay for the petrol to get there (how much would a taxi driver charge for a mile?) they have to use their own car/van, repair costs, tax and national insurance, they dont get min wage, they dont get paid unless its delivered (so if your out and no safe place - they get nothing) they get no holiday pay (to even have one day off they have to find another mug to cover for them) no sick pay, no pension, no wage increase in the last 15years (despite increasing fuel costs) then if there is any money left out of that 45p, thats their "profit".so yeah, dont bother tipping them, they earn loads, lol

I got tipped 5p this evening oO
i don't, as said already they're doing a job and they get paid for it
dataload

i don't, as said already they're doing a job and they get paid for it

well, in some circumstances they dont actually get paid anything! They are self employed and are not paid per hour like the postie is. They get paid on successful delivery.

So, If a courier drives 1,5,10 miles to an address, spends 5,10,15minutes getting there (btw minimum wage people earn 10p PER MINUTE without paying petrol costs etc)

If he/she gets to the address and through no fault of there own, the parcel is refused (customer no longer wants it), the parcel is damaged, the parcel has an incorrect or out-of-date address, no-one is in, no safe place or willing neighbour to take the parcel. That courier has earned a big fat ZERO. infact, its cost them money. (which is why some couriers decide to chuck parcels over locked gates and doorstep items - just so they can get paid and avoid returning next day - to waste more petrol)

if the parcel wasnt refused/damaged, the courier has to drive 1,5,10 miles to their next drop, and 1,5,10 miles back again the next day and possibly the next day after that (3 attempts)

after 3 attempts the parcel goes back to the sender, the courier gets ZIP, Nothing (although some customers decide to ring up after 3 attempts and manage to get the parcel out for delivery again - then the courier has to do another 3 attempts and still hasnt had 1p until its delivered) some couriers refuse to do this as it is unfair.

have you ever booked a collection, but forgot to wrap the item up, everyday couriers get to a collection pickup address, and the occupant hasnt readied the parcel, and makes the courier stand there like a lemon while cellotape is found and filling in forms, even switching a pc on to print a label, again, making the courier wait (unpaid) for some 10-15mins.

apart from that, the jobs fine!
HUKD's the land of Skinflints. oO
I tip my Waitrose chap (yes, Waitrose - because I'm awesome)

But I guess having colour coded bags, a free newspaper an chocolates helps.
If hermes don't get paid enough they should do a different job! The one in our area is useless! She wanted to put my £160 Next order by the communal bins! Wasn't very accommodating with the redelivery(wouldn't even let her pick it up off her)! She said she only delivered in my town (5 mile radius) so hardly blowing fuel! When the parcel arrived it stunk of smoke!

On a lighter note! I tip waiters, hairdressers etc just not when I've paid for the delivery unless they have gone out of there way I.e. Couch in difficult building! Other week I paid Ikea £35 for delivery and he wouldn't take it up the steps, so i had to instead. No tip for him!
yes, there are bad couriers, plenty of them, but then what do you get when you pay peanuts?
splatsplatsplat

Why bother doing the job then? I wouldn't for that, seems stupid.
splatsplatsplat

well, in some circumstances they dont actually get paid anything! They … well, in some circumstances they dont actually get paid anything! They are self employed and are not paid per hour like the postie is. They get paid on successful delivery.So, If a courier drives 1,5,10 miles to an address, spends 5,10,15minutes getting there (btw minimum wage people earn 10p PER MINUTE without paying petrol costs etc)If he/she gets to the address and through no fault of there own, the parcel is refused (customer no longer wants it), the parcel is damaged, the parcel has an incorrect or out-of-date address, no-one is in, no safe place or willing neighbour to take the parcel. That courier has earned a big fat ZERO. infact, its cost them money. (which is why some couriers decide to chuck parcels over locked gates and doorstep items - just so they can get paid and avoid returning next day - to waste more petrol)if the parcel wasnt refused/damaged, the courier has to drive 1,5,10 miles to their next drop, and 1,5,10 miles back again the next day and possibly the next day after that (3 attempts)after 3 attempts the parcel goes back to the sender, the courier gets ZIP, Nothing (although some customers decide to ring up after 3 attempts and manage to get the parcel out for delivery again - then the courier has to do another 3 attempts and still hasnt had 1p until its delivered) some couriers refuse to do this as it is unfair.have you ever booked a collection, but forgot to wrap the item up, everyday couriers get to a collection pickup address, and the occupant hasnt readied the parcel, and makes the courier stand there like a lemon while cellotape is found and filling in forms, even switching a pc on to print a label, again, making the courier wait (unpaid) for some 10-15mins.apart from that, the jobs fine!

It is THEIR choice to be in such a job.
splatsplatsplat

Source? Can't believe all of that is true. No increase for 15 years especially...
splatsplatsplat

well, in some circumstances they dont actually get paid anything! They … well, in some circumstances they dont actually get paid anything! They are self employed and are not paid per hour like the postie is. They get paid on successful delivery.So, If a courier drives 1,5,10 miles to an address, spends 5,10,15minutes getting there (btw minimum wage people earn 10p PER MINUTE without paying petrol costs etc)If he/she gets to the address and through no fault of there own, the parcel is refused (customer no longer wants it), the parcel is damaged, the parcel has an incorrect or out-of-date address, no-one is in, no safe place or willing neighbour to take the parcel. That courier has earned a big fat ZERO. infact, its cost them money. (which is why some couriers decide to chuck parcels over locked gates and doorstep items - just so they can get paid and avoid returning next day - to waste more petrol)if the parcel wasnt refused/damaged, the courier has to drive 1,5,10 miles to their next drop, and 1,5,10 miles back again the next day and possibly the next day after that (3 attempts)after 3 attempts the parcel goes back to the sender, the courier gets ZIP, Nothing (although some customers decide to ring up after 3 attempts and manage to get the parcel out for delivery again - then the courier has to do another 3 attempts and still hasnt had 1p until its delivered) some couriers refuse to do this as it is unfair.have you ever booked a collection, but forgot to wrap the item up, everyday couriers get to a collection pickup address, and the occupant hasnt readied the parcel, and makes the courier stand there like a lemon while cellotape is found and filling in forms, even switching a pc on to print a label, again, making the courier wait (unpaid) for some 10-15mins.apart from that, the jobs fine!

So why bother doing it then?

Nobody is forced to !!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants