Do you turn clothes inside out before washing?

Found 14th Aug 2017
I have thought that it may be a good idea to turn clothes inside out before putting them inside the washing machine so I googled the question and it recommended that this should be done.

This week, I decided to turn all the trousers inside out before putting them in the washing machine but it is a bit of nuisance however so I am not sure if I can be bothered to continue with this.

Do you guys bother to do this?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Another inane question... I'm curious @mutley1 are you employed by HUKD or do you get some sort of incentive to encourage content on a daily basis?
27 Comments
Generally, no.
However if it is a t shirt etc with embellishments or print on, I do tend to turn it inside out to try to protect it a bit.
chuckiedoll4 m ago

Generally, no.However if it is a t shirt etc with embellishments or print …Generally, no.However if it is a t shirt etc with embellishments or print on, I do tend to turn it inside out to try to protect it a bit.

that sounds reasonable. i was thinking that if you turn clothes inside out, the colour won't fade so much on the outside from the continual washing but I am not sure if this is the case.
I turn denim or items that may have a 'fade crease' if I leave them the right way. If the fabric is held in a particular position in the washer it could form a crease that makes the material appear faded. A few seconds turning inside out means this doesn't happen.
deleted800342
Yes
The kids seem to place all of their dirty washing into the linen basket inside out so that's how they get washed
Yes I turn my clothes inside out when I put them in my wash pile
Daughter's clothes only come off her body inside out.
Life's too short to turn the laundry inside out.
mutley13 h, 44 m ago

that sounds reasonable. i was thinking that if you turn clothes inside …that sounds reasonable. i was thinking that if you turn clothes inside out, the colour won't fade so much on the outside from the continual washing but I am not sure if this is the case.

That's the perception, and that's also why it's recommended. Though whether it makes a difference is up for debate.

There's also another argument about whether non biological v biological powder also makes any difference as well. I've heard some say that it doesn't and that clothes fade in almost the same amount of time despite there being a bleaching agent in biological washing powder. Even I find that hard to believe. Also, we, as in the British, do tend to have a fear of using biological washing powder unlike on the continent. I understand that in France for example that there is no such thing as non biological powder in their supermarkets, it just doesn't exist apparently. It's a very British invention apparently. Saying that though, if washing instructions say don't use biological washing powder on certain garments I do tend to follow what they are advising.

mumsnet.com/Tal…ase

Also, turning some garments inside out might also help prevent bobbling in some cases as well, and any bits that might be attracted to a particular garment as well. Can be a tad annoying when that happens (the latter mostly as bobbling sometimes can't be avoided) though some of those items in my experience tend to have been cheapo items mostly though not all.
mutley19 h, 49 m ago

that sounds reasonable. i was thinking that if you turn clothes inside …that sounds reasonable. i was thinking that if you turn clothes inside out, the colour won't fade so much on the outside from the continual washing but I am not sure if this is the case.

Fading is from being on the line. Washing inside out stops clothes bobbling but doesn't stop fading

Use liquid for colours and powder for whites

Take clothes off inside out

Its hardly a hassle but can see why the op can't be bothered as they have history of being troubled by the minutiae in life
Another inane question... I'm curious @mutley1 are you employed by HUKD or do you get some sort of incentive to encourage content on a daily basis?
Always do it with jeans. DEFINITELY stops them fading.
Never do it with anything else.
psychobitchfromhell12 h, 32 m ago

Life's too short to turn the laundry inside out.

this is what i am thinking but may be i could just do so for clothes that i care about, namely mine and not my husband's. lol
mkaiser11 h, 2 m ago

Always do it with jeans. DEFINITELY stops them fading. Never do it with …Always do it with jeans. DEFINITELY stops them fading. Never do it with anything else.

i think i will do this as i really love my jeans and don't want them to fade.
LemonHead11 h, 1 m ago

That's the perception, and that's also why it's recommended. Though …That's the perception, and that's also why it's recommended. Though whether it makes a difference is up for debate.There's also another argument about whether non biological v biological powder also makes any difference as well. I've heard some say that it doesn't and that clothes fade in almost the same amount of time despite there being a bleaching agent in biological washing powder. Even I find that hard to believe. Also, we, as in the British, do tend to have a fear of using biological washing powder unlike on the continent. I understand that in France for example that there is no such thing as non biological powder in their supermarkets, it just doesn't exist apparently. It's a very British invention apparently. Saying that though, if washing instructions say don't use biological washing powder on certain garments I do tend to follow what they are advising.https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/living_overseas/1176684-French-washing-powder-help-pleaseAlso, turning some garments inside out might also help prevent bobbling in some cases as well, and any bits that might be attracted to a particular garment as well. Can be a tad annoying when that happens (the latter mostly as bobbling sometimes can't be avoided) though some of those items in my experience tend to have been cheapo items mostly though not all.

it may be psychological but i avoid anything with the word biological in it. i don't even know what it means but i just know i don't like it.
mutley11 h, 25 m ago

it may be psychological but i avoid anything with the word biological in …it may be psychological but i avoid anything with the word biological in it. i don't even know what it means but i just know i don't like it.

time for a new thread requesting info on the difference
Every time I read one of your questions I actually start sniggering like mutely I'm sure you just love trolling ask.
I try to if a remember to with my denim it definitely fades somewhere, could be from washing, on the line or ironing.
Maybe the result of buying my Mrs an i-ron for Xmas though ; )
jjaack5 h, 47 m ago

I try to if a remember to with my denim it definitely fades somewhere, …I try to if a remember to with my denim it definitely fades somewhere, could be from washing, on the line or ironing. Maybe the result of buying my Mrs an i-ron for Xmas though ; )

i notice denim and jeanos fade through washes so i will definitely turn my jeans inside out now to help with the fading. i don't think the t-shirts fade so much, but then again they tend to be inside out anyway when they are taken off, so may be that is why.
larrylightweight18 h, 6 m ago

Every time I read one of your questions I actually start sniggering like …Every time I read one of your questions I actually start sniggering like mutely I'm sure you just love trolling ask.

the laughable thing about my questions is that i am actually serious and the answers actually influence my future actions. odd but true. i find some of the answers to be really helpful as they are not what you would expect if you googled but based on other people's experience or bright ideas

others may not find the answers helpful but i do and if it works for me, that is what it is all about.
I thought all 'women' of a certain age knew how to wash clothes?
deeky1 h, 54 m ago

I thought all 'women' of a certain age knew how to wash clothes?

Nar not all women, my polish mate actually dumped his misses because she didn't wash his T-shirt he wanted to ware for the gym after work. True story haha and every time he gets a new misses we always tell her you better wash his T-shirts or you'll be out.
larrylightweight9 m ago

Nar not all women, my polish mate actually dumped his misses because she …Nar not all women, my polish mate actually dumped his misses because she didn't wash his T-shirt he wanted to ware for the gym after work. True story haha and every time he gets a new misses we always tell her you better wash his T-shirts or you'll be out.

washing clothes is no longer a female activity in this modern era where a large proportion of the population live alone so all men now can wash clothes just as well as women and in fact sometimes a lot better. my husband washes clothes a lot better than i can as he does it properly by not mixing colours whereas i just shove everything in the washing machine based on what i think should go in there, and obviously sometimes this has not worked and the colours have ran but i am not changing. lol
mutley116 m ago

washing clothes is no longer a female activity in this modern era where a …washing clothes is no longer a female activity in this modern era where a large proportion of the population live alone so all men now can wash clothes just as well as women and in fact sometimes a lot better. my husband washes clothes a lot better than i can as he does it properly by not mixing colours whereas i just shove everything in the washing machine based on what i think should go in there, and obviously sometimes this has not worked and the colours have ran but i am not changing. lol

I know this feeling. week off with the kids and today I have done 3 basket full so far I really don't know what they have been doing all week the only conclusion is they have changed about 5 times a day and I hadn't noticed. Hopefully the wife will be happy I've done this well she better be anyway.
mutley126 m ago

washing clothes is no longer a female activity in this modern era where a …washing clothes is no longer a female activity in this modern era where a large proportion of the population live alone so all men now can wash clothes just as well as women and in fact sometimes a lot better. my husband washes clothes a lot better than i can as he does it properly by not mixing colours whereas i just shove everything in the washing machine based on what i think should go in there, and obviously sometimes this has not worked and the colours have ran but i am not changing. lol

In fact truth be told looking after the 3 kids for the week is harder than any job I could of literally cried mutable times now pulling my hair out if I had any left would be an understatement. I am actually looking forwards to going back to work for a break now.
This is a very interesting subject. I asked my wife who has been washing my clothes for 50 odd years now whether she turns the clothing inside out before washing and she confirms that she does - it hardly takes a second per item.

I then mentioned that when I take my clothing off, they frequently come off inside out and it takes me a second or two to turn them the right way thinking it was the right thing to help her. So we have now decided that If my clothes come off the wrong way round, I shall leave them like that - I save a second and she saves a second. This is WIN-WIN!
Pandray33 m ago

This is a very interesting subject. I asked my wife who has been washing …This is a very interesting subject. I asked my wife who has been washing my clothes for 50 odd years now whether she turns the clothing inside out before washing and she confirms that she does - it hardly takes a second per item.I then mentioned that when I take my clothing off, they frequently come off inside out and it takes me a second or two to turn them the right way thinking it was the right thing to help her. So we have now decided that If my clothes come off the wrong way round, I shall leave them like that - I save a second and she saves a second. This is WIN-WIN!

lol. that's ironic that you turn your clothes the right way round as you thought this would help, only now to find out that it should be inside out.

i always thought the clothes should be the right way round when they go in the washing machine as the dirt and filth are on the outside and so having them the right way round will maximise the cleaning of any dirty marks on the clothes but then i thought the clothes would fade if they were not turned inside out.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions