Do you turn off your internet router/hub at night?

Found 6th Apr
just wondering because someone told me they do it to save electricity but wanted to know what you guys do?
Community Updates
Top comments
if you keep turning your router on and off the exchange usually sees this as an unstable line and generally throttles performance

not worth the small potential saving
Mod
Turning it off for 12 hours per day, over the course of a year would save around £3-4 (guessing that average router is 12v dc, 500mA = 6W).

6W x 24 = 144W per day
X 365 = 52,560W per year

Average price in the UK for a kWh is about 12.5p

0.125 x 52.56 = £6.57

Just not worth the effort to save so little for me.
32 Comments
I dont, it would consume very little energy over the complete year, also I leave devices on to update overnight etc.

If a virgin router for example pulled maximum power of 30W all year round(which is very unlikely) and say it costs 15p/kw. That would be a yearly cost of £39. Not reqlly worth the hassle considering you would only save tlhalf of this at a maximum.
Edited by: "master10" 6th Apr
No..leave on.. Switch off when I go on holiday though
Edited by: "wayners" 6th Apr
I dont, as I have a server which runs backups and various other things overnight
What it not be better to switch supplier adeljay?
Mod
Turning it off for 12 hours per day, over the course of a year would save around £3-4 (guessing that average router is 12v dc, 500mA = 6W).

6W x 24 = 144W per day
X 365 = 52,560W per year

Average price in the UK for a kWh is about 12.5p

0.125 x 52.56 = £6.57

Just not worth the effort to save so little for me.
👎
That's like saying do you turn off the tv, dvd,microwace,etc at night.
Are people really that cheap, are these the same people who dont use aircon in their cars cos it uses extra fuel, does turning it on and off affect the speeds
if you keep turning your router on and off the exchange usually sees this as an unstable line and generally throttles performance

not worth the small potential saving
Original Poster
I dont do it myself tbh but yeah i agree usually would having things updating through out the night
No and it uses very little energy anyway. I know from experience.

Also, I know providers don't advise you to switch off the router and back on all the time as they see it as the line being unstable. Like adamspencer96 said already.
hearts223 m ago

No and it uses very little energy anyway. I know from experience.Also, I …No and it uses very little energy anyway. I know from experience.Also, I know providers don't advise you to switch off the router and back on all the time as they see it as the line being unstable. Like adamspencer96 said already.

Yes. As had been said before. It disrupted the DLM, dynamic line management, so leave it on.
I have a router plus 3 google wifi's I wonder how much they all consume over 12 hours

I have a smart plug might give it a go one night
People that flick switches. Any switch.. Off.. I really can't say its a good thing or not but if one of these switchers house sits for you watch out! One switcher turned the feed to garage off one summer, and the stink from the rotting food in the freezer was horrendous resulting in a bill for the disposing of food and a new freezer...
Edited by: "wayners" 6th Apr
I switch the wifi off, as I have an addicted teenager that would stay up all night otherwise sadly.
I don't turn mine off. Don't think it uses much elec anyway. My CCTV though😫😫😫
splatsplatsplat18 m ago

I switch the wifi off, as I have an addicted teenager that would stay up …I switch the wifi off, as I have an addicted teenager that would stay up all night otherwise sadly.

Most routers have a setting so that you can restrict access at certain times, this would be a much better option for you so the exchange won't see it as a drop out and lower your line speed.
Dyslexic_Dog6 m ago

Most routers have a setting so that you can restrict access at certain …Most routers have a setting so that you can restrict access at certain times, this would be a much better option for you so the exchange won't see it as a drop out and lower your line speed.

I've tried parental controls, blocking certain MAC addresses and limiting times (but i am sure he gets around that), so when i got to bed, i log on with my phone and turn wifi off (router stays on). He gets up sometimes overnight, I'm paranoid to think hes bought a LAN cable or a plug in extender.
If you want to save money block this site on your browser:

hotukdeals.com

Dyslexic_Dog2 h, 6 m ago

Most routers have a setting so that you can restrict access at certain …Most routers have a setting so that you can restrict access at certain times, this would be a much better option for you so the exchange won't see it as a drop out and lower your line speed.

Turning the router off once at night and back on in the morning will not affect the line speed what so ever.

The DLM is smart enough to know the difference between a powered down state and a line issue and will not force its policy and it could only be an issue if you switched it multiple times in quick succession this way it can see startup noise as a line issue.

i keep mine on though because power useage is negligible
i asked this very question some time ago and was told that it is not recommended so i haven't done so.

it was not to save electricity, but i was wondering if leaving the router on all the time day in day out would cause it to fail early, like you don't leave your PC on all the time.
I used to turn mine off every night but an Openreach engineer told me it was best to leave it on for the reasons already mentioned.
No the savings would be negligible, if and/or when I'm a father I would though to stop kids becoming what I was in my teens - that's not where they want to be
with all the IoT AVAILABLE IN THE HOUSE NOW, CONSTANT CONNECTION TO THE NET IS REQUIRED I WOULD THINK.
How are you supposed to download things when your router is off?
Does not compute
Dannyrobbo8 h, 50 m ago

Turning the router off once at night and back on in the morning will not …Turning the router off once at night and back on in the morning will not affect the line speed what so ever. The DLM is smart enough to know the difference between a powered down state and a line issue and will not force its policy and it could only be an issue if you switched it multiple times in quick succession this way it can see startup noise as a line issue.i keep mine on though because power useage is negligible

Simply not the case. I used to turn my router off every night, ended up causing me no end of trouble. Had to get Outreach out to reset the line. Don't switch it off!
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell59 m ago

How are you supposed to download things when your router is off?Does not …How are you supposed to download things when your router is off?Does not compute

I see what you did there.
BeerDrinker18 h, 57 m ago

Turning it off for 12 hours per day, over the course of a year would save …Turning it off for 12 hours per day, over the course of a year would save around £3-4 (guessing that average router is 12v dc, 500mA = 6W).6W x 24 = 144W per dayX 365 = 52,560W per yearAverage price in the UK for a kWh is about 12.5p0.125 x 52.56 = £6.57Just not worth the effort to save so little for me.

Calcs have no allowance for the efficiency of the power supply. I would guess a modern PSU is 60-70% efficient, so for a router requiring 500mA (consuming 800-850mA) the annual savings may be nearer £5-7. Doubt the increase has an impact on a decision to turn it off or not!
dealpickle9 h, 19 m ago

Simply not the case. I used to turn my router off every night, ended up …Simply not the case. I used to turn my router off every night, ended up causing me no end of trouble. Had to get Outreach out to reset the line. Don't switch it off!

It’s clear to see what profile has been allocated from the DLM in the router settings, the issue is usually noise on the line and the DLM will lower your synchronisation speed to give you a more stable line. Where turning the router off comes into play is the DLM needs 3 days of consistent connection to raise that syncronisation rate again if you turn it off every night you’d never raise it.

turning the router off doesn’t cause this but it would stop you obtaining the higher rate if the DLM detected a line issue
The other problem with turning the router off, is that it forgets the DHCP assignments, while other devices can remember them and cause conflicts if devices start in a different order.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants